Position Title: Software Developer (Migration Information and Data Analysis System (MIDAS))
Duty Station: Panama Administrative Centre (PAC), Panama
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 19 February 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Border and Identity Solutions (BIS) Unit, the direct supervision of the Identity and Border Management Officer and the administrative supervision of the Head of Panama Administrative Centre / Chief of Mission, the Software Developer (MIDAS) will be responsible and accountable for providing support and contributing to the Migration Information and Data Analysis System (MIDAS) software development.
In order to support governments to meet today’s complex migration and border management challenges, the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division at IOM has developed a border management information system: The Migration Information and Data Analysis System (MIDAS).
MIDAS is a border management software which allows States to collect, process and record information for identification of travellers, including biometrics, as well as data analysis and reporting. It has been designed to streamline border control processes, by easily monitoring travellers entering and exiting the national territory by land, air, and sea border crossing points. It also provides a sound statistical basis of migration and mobility data, to ultimately support evidence-based policies in the field of cross border mobility, migration, trade, and health, as well as inform related regional priority-setting.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the MIDAS development team in further developing and testing of the MIDAS application, MIDAS database, MIDAS data exchange services, and other MIDAS related modules.
- Contribute to the development of web-based and mobile MIDAS applications.
- Develop, update and test web-based solutions and web services to support the overall MIDAS functionalities as requested by Member States.
- Contribute to successful interoperability and testing of MIDAS with Advance PassengerInformation Systems (APIS), Fixed INTERPOL Network Database (FIND) and Mobile INTERPOL Network Database (MIND) databases, as well as other databases as requested.
- Develop, test and update integration solutions between MIDAS and other border management information systems (BMIS), ID and/or passport databases, through web services or other required technologies, as required by IOM and its member States.
- Prepare and deliver MIDAS Installation, MIDAS Administration and MIDAS User trainings.
- Provide remote and onsite MIDAS technical support to requesting IOM Missions and Governments (including hardship locations) in States in which MIDAS is or will be installed.
- Contribute to the review and update of the MIDAS User Guide, MIDAS Installation Guide, and other technical documentations.
- Conduct MIDAS technical assessments, update MIDAS hardware and software lists, and draft other technical templates and questionnaires as requested.
- Contribute to the review and endorsement process of project proposals that contain MIDAS components, including budget calculation and verification.
- Provide support with research and innovation activities regarding new technologies to continue further updating MIDAS.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in object-oriented programming languages or platforms such as .NET (particularly on C#), Java and Python, developing client-server applications and SQL Server 2014 or higher (Stored Procedures, Functions, Views, Indexes, Relational Database Design);
- Demonstrated experience in building Windows Forms and Web based applications solutions in the .NET Framework and Visual Studio 2015 or later, knowledge of object-oriented architecture and design patterns for building highly scalable applications using .NET framework;
- Experience in version control systems such as Visual Studio Team System/Team Foundation Server (TFS) and/or GitHub is desirable.
- Demonstrated proficiency in back, middle and front-end development based on SQL Server2012/2014 or another SQL system and data replication techniques;
- Solid technical documentation writing for system analysis and design, coding, documentation, administrator’s and user’s manual;
- Knowledge of information security standards such as ISO 27001 is an advantage;
- Ability to deliver optimal IT solutions within the defined resources parameters;
- Ability to apply correctly the knowledge of specialized IT disciplines;
- Capacity to anticipate and prepare response to changing IT needs of the relevant organizational unit.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Previous applicants do not need to apply again.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 19 February 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 242 Software Developer (Migration Information and Data Analysis System (MIDAS))
(P2) Panama Administrative Centre (PAC), Panama City, Panama (57694797) Released
Posting: Posting NC57694798 (57694798) Released