Position Title: Resources Management Officer
Duty Station: Antananarivo, Madagascar
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 09 February 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) and in close coordination with the Senior Regional Resources Management Officer (SRRMO) in the Regional Office (RO) for
South Africa in Madagascar, Antananarivo, the Department of Financial and Administrative Management (DFM) at Headquarters (HQ) and the Administrative Centres in Manila (MAC) and Panama (PAC), the Resources Management Officer will be responsible and accountable for supervising and managing the budgetary, financial, Human Resources and other administrative functions of Madagascar Country Office and / or Sub-Office(s) and providing support in these areas to staff.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the monitoring and overseeing the financial management for all activities in the Country Office including the review of financial expenditure and accountability.
- Facilitate the management of the treasury by forecasting cash flows according to CO activities and its Sub-Offices. Support the monitoring and control of funds disbursed; validate that funding is received and disbursed in accordance with donor agreements.
- Prepare relevant financial reviews of projects by overseeing the budget control process and analyze variances between budget and actual expenditures. Take proactive action to prevent projects from going into deficit.
- Assist with the annual budget preparation for the Country Office by facilitating the monitoring of budget control and analyse variances between budget and actual expenditures. Support the preparation of budgets for new projects and programmes.
- Support the maintenance and assist in strengthening appropriate internal controls to safeguard the Organization’s assets, cash and prevent fraud.
- Review payroll versus budgets, validate that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Draft project and donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
- Participate in reviewing existing systems and procedures and, if necessary, recommend possible improvements to strengthen internal monitoring, evaluation and control systems and improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assist in managing the Human Resources function and make recommendations on recruitment and personnel administration of staff in the Country Office. Correctly apply Human Resources (HR) policies, rules and regulations and make recommendations for resolving difficult or sensitive cases in consultation with the COM and SRRMO.
- Oversee the Supply Chain services, including contracts with suppliers of goods and services and related administrative authorities; oversee the management of the fleet of vehicles and the maintenance of the premises as well as the functioning of all support services at the Country Office.
- Participate in UN meetings such as the UN Operations Management Team (OMT) or ONE UN working groups when required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification as Chartered Accountant (CA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) is an advantage.
- Experience in all areas of financial administration including financial management, accounting and budgeting;
- Experience in human resources, procurement and logistics;
- Experience using an Enterprise Resource Planning system,
- Experience in emergency operations an advantage; and,
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation and / or audit an advantage.
- Ability to work closely with government and international officials;
- Demonstrated ability to act independently and exercise sound judgment;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Demonstrated ability to prepare clear and concise report;
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) an advantage; and,
- Knowledge of SAP highly desirable.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HERE via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 09 February 2023.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 27.01.2023 to 09.02.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2023 24 Resources Management Officer (P2) Antananarivo, Madagascar (57948758) Released
Posting: Posting NC57948759 (57948759) Released