Position Title: Consultant – Internal Governance Framework (IGF)
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Classification: Consultant, Grade Other
Type of Appointment: Consultant, three months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 09 February 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Nature of the consultancy
Provide advice and technical and substantive inputs for the application of the Internal Governance Framework to priority areas throughout the Organization as well as contribute to the IGF Change Management activities.
Project Context and Scope
The Internal Governance Framework (IGF) Unit is responsible for driving and coordinating the IGF reform agenda and for overseeing, monitoring and reporting on the broad-ranging initiatives under the Framework, in collaboration with relevant Departments, Regional Offices and Country Offices. Through the established governance structures, including the IGF Board and the IGF Steering Committee, the Unit promotes ownership and accountability across the Organization for reforms under the auspices of the IGF. The Unit is also responsible for the development and application of a Change Management Strategy for the IGF and for supporting the Organization-wide framework governing Delegation of Authority.
Organizational Department / Unit to which the Consultant is contributing:
The Department of Strategic Planning and Organizational Performance is responsible for consolidating IOM’s efforts to strengthen planning and reporting, including supporting IOM to deliver on the reforms under the Internal Governance Framework including the Business Transformation initiative. The Department brings together the organizational units tasked with the implementation of risk management, monitoring and evaluation, results-based management and operational compliance.
The Internal Governance Framework Unit is responsible for driving and coordinating the IGF reform agenda and for overseeing, monitoring and reporting on the broad-ranging initiatives under the Framework, in collaboration with relevant Departments, Regional Offices and field missions. Through the established governance structures, including the IGF Board and the IGF Steering Committee, the Unit promotes ownership and accountability across the Organization for reforms under the auspices of the IGF. The Unit is also responsible for the development and application of a change management strategy for the IGF and for supporting the Organization-wide framework governing delegation of authority.
Under the overall supervision of the Director, DPP and direct supervision of the Senior
Programme Manager (IGF), the Consultant will support the application of the Internal Governance Framework to priority areas throughout the Organization as well as contribute to the IGF change management activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Tasks to be performed under this contract
- Enhance the organizational alignment through, among others, facilitating the fullimplementation of the Delegation of Authority Policy and the Business Transformation project, in close coordination with all relevant departments and offices.
- Assist the Senior Programme Manager (IGF) in the development and implementation of theIGF 2.0 Work Plan, including designing a fit-for-purpose institutional reform, drafting a concept paper, discussing and coordinating with all stake holders and drafting and publishing the Work Plan.
- Support the Department in finalizing the Internal Control Framework policy and its operationalguidelines, including working together with the Operational Compliance Unit on identifying internal control design of the new ERP.
- Support the Department in its work on aligning the organizational reform agendas with UNreforms, particularly on the efficiencies initiative across the UN development system.
- Keep updated on different initiatives across the organization and support the IGF Unit bysuggesting potential actions taken by the Unit to enhance synergies between different initiatives (e.g. Share knowledge and information to relevant business process owners to break silos and facilitate inter-departments discussion and joint planning).
- Provide programme and administrative support to the IGF Unit in the preparation of variousprogramme documents, such as work plans, budgets, briefing materials, presentations, talking points and reports.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
- High quality of advice and work provided to the IGF Unit’s work on the organizational alignment including the full implementation of Delegation of Authority Policy and the Business Transformation project.
- Professional technical support provided to the IGF Unit in developing the IGF 2.0 Work Plan.
- Professional technical support and guidance provided to the IGF Unit’s work in finalizing the Internal Control Framework policy and its operational guidelines.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Public Administration, International Development, Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
Work experience within the UN system, particularly in field locations with project implementation and management, would be a strong advantage.
Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel and Powerpoint is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this consultancy, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
- Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. Nolate applications will be accepted.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HERE via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 09 February 2023.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 27.01.2023 to 09.02.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CON 2023 03 Consultant – Internal Governance Framework (IGF) – Geneva, Switzerland (57948774) Released
Posting: Posting NC57948775 (57948775) Released