WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Date of Issue: 22nd March 2023 Closing Date: 4th April 2024
Why join WFP?
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide and the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. This position is open to qualified Kenyan candidates. Female candidates, in particular, are encouraged to apply.
What will you do?
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Supply Chain/Logistics Unit at Somaliland Area Office in Hargeisa, the successful candidate will undertake the following responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Perform administrative procurement activities in a timely and efficient manner, to support Professional staff in the acquisition of goods and services purchases for efficient field operations.
- Provide operational coordination and administrative services to support procurement projects and activities, following standard processes and contributing to the effective procurement of goods and services (issue EOIs, tenders, evaluate offers and make purchase recommendations)
- Identify and recommend potential suppliers and compile data/documents to support selection of suitable suppliers, ensuring standard processes are followed.
- Review, record and prioritise purchasing requests, and provide support to requisitioners in order to support the procurement of appropriate goods and services at the lowest cost to WFP
- Contribute to negotiations with new suppliers on terms and conditions or orders alongside senior officer, in order to obtain the best terms and lowest cost to WFP
- Prepare Purchase Orders, contracts and any supporting documentation for approval by the appropriate stakeholders to enable the swift purchase of goods and services
- Resolve issues related to delivered goods, using initiative, liaising with all parties and following standard processes to ensure timely and accurate resolution of problems
- Research, collect and analyse date in order to produce reports to enable informed decision-making by Head of Area Office/Procurement Officer, and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Manage updates and further develop databases and records to ensure information is accurate, organised, and available for others to access, and supports reporting requirements
- Maintain relationships with internal counterparts to support the alignment of procurement activities with wide programmes and ensure a coherent approach to meeting food assistance needs.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Perform other procurement-related duties, as assigned.
Do you meet the minimum requirements?
Education: Completion of a post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable. An advanced Diploma in Business management, Procurement or in the related field is also desirable. A Degree in the same field and CIPS qualifications is an added advantage.
Experience: 6 years and above of progressively responsible work experience in procurement
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to work independently on analytical and technical matters with minimum supervision.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to deliver timely high-quality deliverables.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Negotiation Skills.
- Critical Thinking i.e. ability to analyze situations and make decisions based on on-hand information.
- Strong analytical and report writing skills in English.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite (MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, etc.)
- Training/Capacity Strengthening skills.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somalia.
Terms and Conditions:
Application deadline: 4th April 2023
WFP does not charge any application fees to candidates.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.