WFP encourages female candidates and people with disabilities to apply
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
POSITION TITLE: Supply Chain Officer TYPE & LEVEL OF CONTRACT: Fixed Term, NOB UNIT / DIVISION: Supply Chain/Blantyre Malawi. DUTY STATION (CITY, COUNTRY): Blantyre, Malawi REPORTS TO: Head of Supply Chain DURATION OF CONTRACT: 12 Months renewable DATES OF ADVERTISING: 22.03.2023 to 04.04.2023
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) WFP is recognized as the leading solution provider and partner in the struggle to end hunger and malnutrition and particularly for its eﬀorts to reach those furthest behind ﬁrst.
Being the frontline agency of the United Nations system that delivers innovative hunger solutions to 81 countries each day worldwide; WFP’s 14,800+ strong staﬀ share a vision and commitment to end hunger by 2030. Tackling the causes — not just the symptoms – and operating in the remotest corners of the world, with all logistical means necessary, WFP’s results-focused team provides nutritious and life-saving food and cash assistance when necessary. Bringing unrivalled experience and operating in the world’s most high proﬁle, diﬃcult environments, WFP upholds the humanitarian principles of humanity, integrity impartiality and neutrality.
In successfully achieving the Sustainable Development Goal 2 (SDG 2) i.e Zero Hunger by 2030, the WFP team actively fosters partnerships with governments, communities, local authorities, civil societies, other UN agencies and the private sector.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles, to collect, analyse and report on supply chain and logistics information to maximize efficiency of the logistics operations and activities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to the development and implementation of supply chain plans and procedures, in line with the global WFP supply chain strategy and regional/functional strategies, policies and plans, to achieve operational cost efficiency, agility, reliability, quality and to support national capacity strengthening.
- Provide substantive contributions to regional/country context analyses and to the management of end-to-end operational supply chain and retail networks, in support of operational supply chain challenges and operational optimization.
- Contribute to planning and implementation of supply chain operations, initiatives and services to ensure a timely, cost-effective and integrated approach and in close cooperation with key supply chain stakeholders.
- Perform analyses and detailed conceptual work putting together comprehensive reports identifying opportunities for improvement and effective operationalization of supply chain within the area of responsibility.
- Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff for maximizing use of resources and effectiveness of supply chain operations.
- Build and maintain productive partnerships mostly at the operational level and collaborate with counterparts in the key supply chain functions contributing to an integrated supply chain approach to food assistance and cross-functional operational alignment.
- Build and maintain productive partnerships with supply chain counterparts amongst government and other national organizations, UN agencies, NGOs and private sector to share operational knowledge contributing to coordinated and cost-effective supply chain operations.
- Provide technical contribution to market analysis and supply chain network mapping to inform the selection of an appropriate operation modalities to improve supply chain performance.
- Support management of supply chain operations, or manage less complex supply chain operations, in compliance with the established supply chain strategies, policies, procedures and controls, and following corporate standards, with special emphasis on quality control, loss prevention, risk mitigation and cost effectiveness.
- Support the monitoring of supply chain activities to check that appropriate internal controls are followed to increase the day-to-day efficiencies and overall performance of supply chain operations.
- Support management of service providers/vendors, port, fleet and warehouse operations to promote safe, efficient planning and execution of WFP operations.
- Prepare accurate, comprehensive and timely reports, dashboards and other visual materials on supply chain activities including trends to support informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
- Guide and supervise staff, acting as a point of referral, providing training and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Contribute to preparedness actions and support quick emergency response to deploy food and resources at the onset of the crisis.
- Other as required.
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK: COMMON STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOUR
Leads by Example with Integrity
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative Teamwork
Applies Strategic Thinking
Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships
Demonstrates and encourages others to uphold the WFP values, principles and standards
Identifies and aligns objectives to the required outcomes, holding self and/or others accountable for the delivery of results for maximum impact
Promotes inclusive teamwork and psychological safety by encouraging colleagues to collaborate by sharing ideas and openly raising issues
Communicates and fulfils WFP’s vision and operational outcomes to deliver meaningful solutions
Initiates and builds partnerships by identifying and promoting opportunities for mutual areas of interest and benefit
Values diversity using respectful and inclusive language, and encourages others to do the same
Delegates responsibly and provides appropriate support empowering others to deliver results
Supports development for others by giving timely and constructive feedback
Demonstrates curiosity, designs and implements new ways of doing things when relevant
Collaborates with partners to deliver common objectives by sharing information and cocreating innovative solutions with beneficiaries when appropriate
Stays focused and calm when under pressure, encourages others to do the same, and offers guidance and support to manage difficult situations
Responds readily to change in different contexts and adapts accordingly
Seeks out, trusts and listens attentively to diverse views to capture, learn, build and share new perspectives
Gathers data and different perspectives, shares knowledge and uses evidence to inform decision making
Demonstrates humility and a willingness to learn and share knowledge, frequently seeking and acting on feedback, and pursuing opportunities to develop
Implements decisions, considering the risks and implications of actions for teams, projects and other initiatives
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Language: Fluency in English language.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Professional postgraduate experience
- Experience in commercial or humanitarian transportation sectors.
- Experience coordinating supply chain activities with other units/ teams;
- Experience conducting analytical and conceptual work in support of strategy design and implementation;
- Experience in coordinating periodic planning across functions and with partners;
- Experience in analysing and supporting the implementation of end-to-end supply chain operations;
- Experience in implementing supply chain improvement initiatives;
- Experience supervising staff.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Position opens: 22.03.2023
Positions closes: 04.04.2023
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.