Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the
leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental,
intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane
and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to
governments and migrants.
Career category: Program/Project Management
Years of experience: 3-4 years
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the Senior Programme Assistant,
the Operations Assistant will be responsible for effectively and efficiently completing the
following operational tasks:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. In close coordination with the Program Manager for Assisted Voluntary Return and
Reintegration (AVRR), the Operations Assistant will support the administrative,
operational and logistical implementation of AVRR to the Eastern, Central and
Southern regions of Sub-Saharan Africa, plus the countries Iraq and Nigeria
a. The provision of return-relevant information to the cantonal return counselling offices, and other program stakeholders in the framework of the Swiss Return Information Fund –RIF- programme;
b. The organization of the voluntary return movement of beneficiaries of the swissREPAT-IOM Movements (SIM) programme;
c. The coordination of the reintegration projects of voluntary returnees under the Reintegration Assistance from Switzerland (RAS) program, in close collaboration with the Swiss State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) and IOM missions in the countries of return;
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates. Only candidates already in possession of a Swiss residency permit can be considered for this position.
d. Support the coordination of AVRR activities that involve other key donors and partners in Switzerland.
e. Ensure the liaison between Swiss donors and IOM missions in the designated regions of responsibility.
2. In close coordination with the AVRR Program Manager, the Operations Assistant will support the project Facilitating Sustainable Reintegration of Voluntary Returnees
Through Business Support in Nigeria, including:
a. The project management with drafting narrative and financial reports, and liaison with the Swiss donor (SEM), including development of new project phases
b. Coordination and follow up with the IOM Nigeria missions on the implementation of the project including regular monitoring of output and outcomes
c. Coordination of Monitoring and Evaluation of the project.
3. In close coordination with the Chief of Mission, the Operations Assistant will contribute to the Office’s information and communication matters including
a. Compilation and publication of material for return counsellors.
b. Support of the compilation and publication of the newsletter “Going Home”
c. Participation in and organization of working group on communication (RüKo)
d. Development and coordination communication measures and projects such as special internal or external events, exhibition, etc.
e. Monitoring of the Swiss media with respect to migration related issues
f. Support the maintenance and overall functioning of the IOM Bern
4. Perform other duties as may be assigned, as agreed with the IOM Switzerland Chief of Mission.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree (Bachelor’s or higher) in social or political sciences, geography, international relations, development studies or similar with at least three years of relevant professional experience.
Experience and Skills
- Work experience in the migration field generally;
- Work experience in and knowledge of the Swiss asylum and migration field;
- Knowledge of the concept of Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) and other areas dealt with by the Organization, as well as specifical knowledge on AVRR within the Swiss context;
- Experience in coordinating with counterparts and relevant actors in the field,
- Government and non-Government;
- Experience in communication, website maintenance, social media is an advantage.
Fluency in German, French and English (oral and written proficiency) is required.
NOTE*: Applications from candidates who hold higher qualifications from an
accredited Institution of higher education may be considered.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. Only candidates who already possess a valid Swiss residency permit can be considered for this position.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (cover letter and CV) to the following email address: ApplicationsIOMBern@iom.int by or before Tuesday
December 20 2022, referring to this advertisement.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 05.12.2022 to 20.12.2022