Position Title: Data Analysis and Reporting Officer
Duty Station: Baga Sola, Chad
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P1
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 18 December 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Programme (Emergency and Stabilization), and direct supervision of the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Coordinator, and in close coordination with the Data & Research Unit at the Regional Office (RO) for Central and West Africa in Dakar, the Data Analysis and Reporting Officer will be responsible for participating in DTM analysis and reporting, and data-related activities in Chad Country Office ( CO).
The wide range of DTM projects currently implemented by Chad CO reflects significant data needs in the country both in terms of internal displacement and in terms of wider migration and human mobility patterns. The Data Analysis and Reporting Officer will assist with data aspects of the work related to DTM, which may include data systems set-up at the start of a project
(mobile data collection, datasets preparation), data checks during project implementation, data analysis and support to reporting.
The Data Analysis and Reporting Officer will be working in a structured team that will include operational and technical staff and may participate in data collection operations and national capacity building.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist with the data set-up for DTM activities in Chad CO, which may include flow monitoring points, mobility tracking exercises, household surveys, registrations, and ad-hoc research activities.
- Perform training and lessons learnt sessions for implementing partners and DTM staff on data collection, analysis and reporting.
- Work in close collaboration with the DTM Coordinator, the Data & Research Unit in RO Dakar and DTM Unit at IOM Headquarters (HQ) and London DTM Analytics, Knowledge and Output (AKO) Team to identify and propose solutions to improve data collection and DTM methodologies, processes, and assessment tools.
- Perform preliminary analysis and participate in DTM data cleaning and the collection of information for the production of DTM reports and other publications related to DTM unit, tracking inputs from programmes and targeted dissemination.
- Provide inputs for the design of qualitative and quantitative research on specific migration phenomena.
- Generate data and assist in producing timely, accurate and standardized information products on movements, new displacements, and mobility trends for subsequent dissemination to relevant stakeholders (humanitarian as well as transition/recovery actors).
- Disseminate concise analytical reporting according to scheduled intervals such as dashboards, mapping and narrative reports on general mobility trends and specific research.
- Check the integration of gender and disability perspectives and attention to specific women/girl’s and children’s rights issues (vulnerable groups) within IDPs/returnee activities and bring issues to the attention of the supervisor.
- Coordinate field data collection activities.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Computer Sciences, Information Management, Demography, International Relations, or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in reporting of data collection findings;
- Experience in reporting with DTM standard;
- Experience in design of data methodologies and tools; and,
- Experience in conducting training is an asset.
- Expert use of Excel (analysis, cleaning, compilation maintenance, etc.);
- Good command of SPSS, R and/or Stata is an asset;
- Data visual experience (Excel, PowerBI, PowerPoint, Publisher, Abode, Tableau, etc.);
- Knowledge of setting and coding on Kobo and/or ODK is an asset;
- Excellent report writing skills; and,
- Good understanding of basic statistics and data analysis.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Chadian and Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HERE via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 18 December 2022.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 05.12.2022 to 18.12.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 331 Data Analysis and Reporting Officer (P1) Baga Sola, Chad (57868990) Released
Posting: Posting NC57868991 (57868991) Released