Job Identification : 9134
Locations : Dhaka, Bangladesh
Posting Date : 03/13/2023, 12:41 PM
Apply Before : 03/28/2023, 05:59 PM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NB3
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Disaster Risk Reduction and Recovery
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 7 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English and Bangla
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Disaster Response and Recovery Facility (DRRF) is a standing and flexible facility by UNDP Bangladesh, mandated to accelerate disaster preparedness for effective response to affected people, contribute to “Build Back Better” in recovery, rehabilitation, and reconstruction. UNDP’s DRRF is a vital contribution towards achieving SFDRR, SDGs and a developed country status by 2041. DRRF, in collaboration with the Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief (MoDMR) and other relevant stakeholders serves to shift focus from response to disasters towards building long term resilience. In this connection, DRRF i) implements timely, appropriate and adequate response and recovery assistance and to the households, community, business etc.; ii) work with development partners, the UN/Cluster systems to support Government of Bangladesh (GoB) to build its capacity in disaster management at all levels; iii) support making appropriate policies, financial instruments and technological innovation on preparedness for recovery and foster partnership in different sectors; and iv) work as, when appropriate, a fund management facility for humanitarian and development agencies to foster cost effective and time efficient mechanism.
Recently, DRRF is supporting the Government of Bangladesh with increased capacity and development of Emergency Management (EM) systems planning through developing and institutionalizing the Emergency Operations Plans (EOP) at the Ministry and City Corporation level including Fire Service and Civil Defense (FSCD)- through the implementation of the Training, Exercises and Drills (TED) Program for six key agencies in Dhaka and Sylhet involving around 800 professionals from six agencies over a period of 15 months.
The Training, Exercises and Drills (TED) Program focuses on enhancing effective response to urban disasters through: i) Conducting training to national-level and local level agencies involved in DRM and support the Emergency Operation Planning (EOP); ii) Operationalizing and testing the EOP through designing and conducting table-top and field exercises for relevant national and local level agencies; iii) Preparing/updating Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) for Ministry and City Corporation level – linking with applicable policy/guidelines, role of Emergency Operation Centers (EOCs), structuring of Emergency Support Functions; iv) Facilitating in attaining eligibility of international accreditation such as INSARAG and IAEM. Therefore, an Administration and Finance Associate is required who will be responsible for providing support to the project team in administrative and financial services of the highest quality and standards for the successful implementation of project activities and the achievement of planned project results.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Project Manager and Team Leader of DRRF/ Training, Exercises & Drills (TED) Program, the Administration and Finance Associate will be responsible for providing administrative, coordination and financial management support.
The Administration and Finance Associate will be contributing to the achievement of the project outputs through the organization of the operational and programmatic management of the project activities.
The incumbent will undertake the following to ensure the success of the project:
- Support in implementation of operational and financial management strategies
- Ensure effective general administration support
- Support to ensure knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Support in the implementation of operational and financial management strategies, focusing on the following results:
- Support Project Manager/Team Leader to ensure proper planning, internal control system and safeguard measures for efficient and effective use of financial and other resources of the TED Program;
- Ensure full compliance with UN/UNDP POPP, rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, and financial recording/reporting system;
- Support Project Manager/Team Leader on the preparation of Annual Work Plan and Multi-Year Budget;
- Prepare project budget, periodic expenditure report and financial report for UNDP/Donor/GoB;
- Properly manage project bank and cash operation of the TED Program;
- Review project expenditures and ensure that project funds are used in compliance with the Project Implementation Plan, GoB and UNDP financial rules and procedures;
- Maintain complete sets of books of accounts and financial records on a daily basis following standard accounting principles-IPSAS of UN System;
- Support Project Manager/Team Leader in analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for the TED Program, and monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities;
- Ensure financial transactions are authorized, recorded, and filed with adequate supporting documentation;
- Liaise and follow up with the responsible parties/agents for implementation of project activities in matters related to project funds and financial progress reports;
- Properly maintain VAT and Tax related records of the TED Program according to the GoB rules in close coordination with Cluster and CO Finance.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly/annual financial reports as per the requirement of Donor/GoB/UNDP
- Assess the budget heads and ensure its expenditure is as per the approved annual/quarterly work plans; Maintain expenditure statement and support in budget processes;
- Review all payments/claims of staff and other service providers and ensure on time settlement of claims as per UNDP rules;
- Preparation and monitoring of project budgets; regular analysis and reporting on the budget approvals and the delivery status;
- Preparation of proposals and implementation of cost-saving and reduction strategies in consultation with project management;
- Provide coordination support in the audit and spot check process in accordance with UN/UNDP/GoB rules, regulations, policies and procedures including pre-audit preparations and ensure continuous follow-ups on the implementation of audit findings.
Ensure effective general administration support, focusing on the following results:
- Support Project Manager/Team Leader in all administrative work for smooth operation and implementation of TED Program;
- Assist Project Manager/ Team Leader in preparing annual and uploading in Atlas timely;
- Assist in coordinating the travel of TED Program staff, consultants, GoB stakeholders, project participants and partners which relates to the implementation of TED Program work plan;
- Organize and coordinate high-level meetings, workshops, trainings, and result sharing/dissemination events involving appropriate stakeholders;
- Ensure and support to organize of meeting/ training/ workshops/ seminars including arrangement for venue, logistics, transportation and documentation of events. It includes facilitation of travel arrangements: initiate travel authorization for approval, security clearance, reserve flight schedules, coordinate with the CO Operations section for relevant travel advances and claims, DSA, etc;
- Ensure availability, efficient deployment and regular maintenance of programme equipment, including vehicle (s), computers, and other equipment for operational purposes;
- Provide support in various contractual documents related to the procurement of goods and services ensuring adequate protection of the interest of the programme and follow-up on the status of the contract;
- Support/maintain up-to-date personnel files, and employment contracts systematically and periodically report to the Project Manager on the necessary follow-up actions;
- Ensure that vehicle logbooks are systematically maintained by the Driver, vehicles are in proper condition and office supplies are well stocked and properly accounted for;
- Ensure the project asset management, handover, maintenance, dispatch and disposal;
- Provide support in administering recruitment and procurement of goods and services in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Perform other administrative duties related to the TED program as assigned by the Project Manager and Team Leader.
- Verify Combine Delivery Report (CDR) for Certification
- Prepare quarterly Fund Authorization and Certification of Expenditures (FACE) and ensure timely submission to UNDP;
- Supervise and maintain equipment, vehicles and assets of the Project for security and proper functioning; if required assist transfer of title of assets on behalf of UNDP;
- Oversee the management of various contracts with implementing partners—government entities, NGOs, UN agencies, etc.;
- Ensure the compliance of all the provisions of guidelines regarding personnel management, sub contract and financial management
Ensures knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on the following results:
- Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing and provide guidance to all stakeholders on financial and administrative matters;
- Support the Responsible Parties/ Implementing Partners/ Agencies/ CSOs on financial management and administrative procedures;
- Conduct and facilitate hands on training/ orientation for the Implementing Partners/CSO/PNGOs on Financial management procedure as require by UNDP and GoB;
- Document lessons learned and best practices in Finance and Administration
Perform other duties within functional profile as assigned and deemed necessary for functioning of the office.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively:LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility:LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner:LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
People Management competencies:
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional and Technical competencies: Administration & Operations
- Documents and records management: Overall document (hard or electronic) management; registry and retention policy including storing and archiving
- Inventory management : Each office to ensure sufficient inventory items are available for use as well as reporting for items which are beyond the corporate threshold
- Vehicle management : Knowledge of policy and procedures on vehicle management
- Events management : Ability to manage events, including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc.
- Accounting (General) : Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, frameworks, standards, regulations, policies and trends, and ability to apply this in analytical aspects and to strategic planning and/or practical situations.
- Audit risk management : Ability to address audit issues raised during an audit and propose solutions in order to ensure to ensure a true and fair audit opinion is achieved
- Budget management : Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Higher Secondary Certificate in any discipline from a recognized institutions is required
- Bachelor degree or equivalent degree in Accounting/ Finance/ Management or Business Administration
- Minimum 7 years of experience with Higher Secondary Certificate or 4 years of experience with Bachelor’s Degree in administrative and financial management in development project and/or disaster risk management/ emergency response projects in similar responsibilities with UNDP/ UN agencies.
- Strong financial and administrative skills, result and client-orientation, ability to work in a team under emergency response/disaster management related program/project;
- Experience of working in NIM & DIM modality projects with development & GoB Agencies;
- Demonstrable proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Team, and other relevant financial management/ERP software;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and ability to prioritize;
- Experience with UNDP or UN Agencies will be a definite asset
- Knowledge of Government of Bangladesh structures and protocols;
- Demonstrated experience on logistics support for training/capacity building preferably in relation to Government of Bangladesh;
- Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines, ethics and honesty.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Bangla
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.