Job Identification : 9135
Locations : Amman, Jordan
Posting Date : 03/13/2023, 08:46 AM
Apply Before : 03/27/2023, 08:46 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NB2
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Effectiveness
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Arab States
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Bachelor’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 5 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English and Arabic
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Analyst/Specialist, the Programme/Finance Assistant supports the provision of financial services ensuring high quality, accuracy, and consistency of work. The Programme/Finance Assistant is expected to promote a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The incumbent should work in close collaboration with the Operations and Programme staff in the country office and with UNDP HQs staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery. Through this position, the incumbent should ensure the quality of the financial information that is feeding into the country office through a specific set of checks in line with the internal control framework.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensure implementation of operational strategies and procedures focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial processes and financial records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provision of inputs to the elaboration of workplans
Provide financial support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of information for reports on financial status, procedures, exchange rates, costs and expenditures and potential funding problems.
- Examines requests for advances of funds and/or direct payments;
- Monitors projects expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved projects budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare and submit expenditures and programme budget status reports;
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparations and audit
- Ensures proper allocation of GMS expenditures
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks on an ad hoc basis.
- Ensure compliance with all corporate rules of UNDP in the field of financial planning, expenditures tracking, reporting, and auditing; produce relevant operational and financial reports according to the rules and procedures of UNDP;
- Perform necessary checks of the financial reports submitted by sub-contracted project implementers ;
- Maintain accurate budget reporting in both UNDP and donor-requested templates
Provide Administrative support, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Follows up on cost recovery invoices and common services invoices.
- Follows up on POs receipt accruals
- Assists in the preparation of procurement plans for corporate initiatives and monitoring of their implementation;
- Respond to queries from suppliers, and donors
- Maintenance of the proper filing system, both electronically and physically, for financial records and documents
Provide support in conducting assurance activities focusing on the n achievement of the following results:
- liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Follows up on the HACT Audits for NIM projects, and spot-checks findings
- If necessary, travel for control and auditing purposes to the project.
- Assist with the auditing performed by the project manager over the funds allocated to projects. Ensure the compliance of allocated funds with the UNDP norms and regulations.
Support knowledge building and sharing in the CO, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/programme staff on Finance.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice. =
Any other activity required by the supervisor
The incumbent work under the supervision of the Finance Analyst and in coordination with the finance and operation teams.
LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination:
LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
People Management: Not applicable
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Understands how regulations and professional standards in internal and external audit underpin audit work in the public services. Understands the key stages of audit work, including planning, documentation, testing and reporting. Ability to examine and verify accounts and records. Understands wider mechanisms for assurance and scrutiny. Understands the law and best practice relating to antibribery and corruption controls and the fraud risks faced by public bodies. Finance Banking and cash management Ability to collect, handle, an
Banking and cash management
Ability to collect, handle, and manage cash, which involves assessing market liquidity, cash flow, and investments
Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets
Knowledge of evaluating businesses, projects, budgets, and other finance related transactions to determine their performance and suitability
Audit & Investigation – General
Fraud awareness and investigation techniques
Basic knowledge to understand the foundations of fraud, how to detect red flags, and conduct initial fact-findings
Abilit to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience Ability to manage communications internally and externally through media, social media, and other appropriate channels
Required Skills and Experience:
Min. Education requirements
High School and/or Bachelor’s Degree in economics, finance, accounting, law, public administration, or other related fields.
Min. years of relevant work experience
High school with five years of relevant accounting and financial experience at national level is required or Bachelor degree with two years of relevant accounting and financial experience at national level is required
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
Power BI, and Data Analysis skills would be an added advantage
UN experience in financial management is desirable
Fluency in English and Arabic
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.