Job Identification : 9136
Locations : Honiara, Solomon Islands
Posting Date : 03/13/2023, 10:13 AM
Apply Before : 03/28/2023, 10:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NB5
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Crisis management / Country Management Support
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 7 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 9 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English and Pidgin
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The UNDP “Strengthening the Electoral Cycle in the Solomon Islands Project” (SECSIP) provides electoral assistance to the Solomon Islands Electoral Commission (SIEC) and other national institutions throughout the electoral cycle (pre-election; elections/polling and post-election) for the conduct of inclusive and credible electoral processes. Since 2013 SECSIP has provided technical assistance for the planning and implementation of two general elections (2014, 2019) and for parliamentary and provincial by-elections.
SECSIP III will work towards achieving the overarching outcome of ‘more sustainable and inclusive electoral institutions and practices in support of democratic governance in Solomon Islands’ through the four following outputs:
- Output 1: Institutional and Operational Capacities of the Electoral Authorities Strengthened
- Output 2: Capacity of national authorities and local networks to provide voter information and awareness and to encourage civic engagement strengthened.
- Output 3: Legal Electoral Framework Improved
- Output 4: Women’s Political Participation and Leadership Around the Country Enhanced.
SECSIP is funded by the Government of Australia and UNDP. The project aims to continue building synergies and strategic partnerships with a range of national stakeholders from government and civil society to ensure that an enabling environment for credible and inclusive elections is created
Under the overall guidance of SECSIP CTA and in coordination with the UNDP Sub-Office in the Solomon Islands, UN Women, and Solomon Islands Government stakeholders, the Senior Advisor will advise in the design and implementation of the portfolio of project activities related to women’s leadership, political participation and wider social inclusion initiatives ensuring that objectives are reached as set out in the project document.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Advisor will report directly to UNDP SECSIP CTA and will work in close partnership with the Ministry of Women, Youth, Children and Family Affairs, the Electoral Office senior management and other relevant state entities and civil society stakeholders including women’s groups and people with disabilities (PWD) organizations.
Provision of expertise, advisory services, advocacy and knowledge management:
- Provide expert advice to the project for the development and implementation of gender-sensitive actions, including national level guidelines, policies, procedures and legislation. This may include collaborating with other project consultants including legal experts as well as with senior officials from partner entities, women’s and PWD organisations and other stakeholders;
- Plan, coordinate and organize events and conferences relevant to gender and elections and/or women’s political participation and women’s leadership initiatives; support to SIEC/SECSIP Communication and Awareness actions linked to the portfolio under this assignment;
- Lead the planning and implementation of gender related capacity building activities for SIEC and other electoral stakeholders (such as CSOs including PWD groups and women’s organizations media, political parties, independent candidates, etc.); conduct monitoring of actions under the area of responsibility providing suggestions for the better achievement of results;
- Document major achievements and challenges in promoting gender equality in the work of elections including the implementation of the SIEC Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Policy and, in collaboration with other institutions, working in alignment with the Solomon Islands Government’s (SIG) National Women’s Policy and the Gender and Women’s Development (GEWD) Policy;
- Design and develop concepts for inclusive dialogues and other mechanisms for strengthening coordinating with the Government, national and international stakeholders on women’s leadership and political participation.
Build networks and partnerships for women’s political participation
- Use project activities to promote and encourage women’s leadership and political participation, in close coordination with relevant partners, in particular the provincial councils of women and other national women’s organisations;
- Promote linkages between successful women and project activities such as trainings, special publications, videos resource centres and initiatives including the “Outstanding Women of Solomon Islands” and “Secondary School Poster and Essay Competition on Women’s Political Participation and Leadership” to expand networks of support.
The advisor will be required to travel to other Solomon Islands Provinces and inland travel in Guadalcanal.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies: Business Direction & Strategy
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities, linking the vision to reality on the ground, and crating tangible solutions.
- Knowledge Facilitation: Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally
External Relation & Advocacy -Communications
- Advocacy strategy and implementation: Ability to create and implement advocacy strategies with lead to impactful change
External Relation & Advocacy -Partnership management
- Relationship management: Ability to engage with a wide range of public and private partners, build, sustain and/or strengthen working relations, trust and mutual understanding
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters Degree in Development, Human Rights, Management, Public Policy, Law, Political Science or related field OR Bachelors Degree in Development, Human Rights, Management, Public Policy, Law, Political Science or related field with additional 2 years of work experience
- 7 years of progressive experience in human rights advocacy work with Master’s degree, or 9 years with Bachelor’s degree.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing gender-sensitive actions including national level guidelines, policies, procedures and legislation.
- Demonstrated experience planning, coordinating and organizing events and conferences relevant to gender, women’s leadership, social inclusion, or political participation.
- Demonstrated experience working, liaising and collaborating with government representatives, civil society organizations and public international organizations.
- Demonstrates high moral integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards, sound political judgment, as diplomacy, impartially and discretion and proved capacity of initiative, leadership and autonomy.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitively and adaptability.
- Be able to lead the strategic planning, formulation and monitoring of the portfolio of women’s political participation and leadership
- Ability to identify challenges and highlights and propose alternatives to enhance implementation of project actions under relevant portfolio
- Demonstrates capacity to provide substantial advice in formulating policy options for SIG and SECSIP partners on women’s leadership and inclusive political participation.
- To be able to advise SIG and SECSIP partners on strategies related to women’s leadership and inclusive political participation.
- To be able to provide expert advice to the UN team and senior government officers on how UN/UNDP can further strengthen and support women’s leadership and political participation.
- Promotes knowledge management and a learning environment in the office on gender related issues:
- Ability to identify significant capacity building opportunities for governmental institutions and UNDP team and to design and implement capacity building actions
- Excellent communication skills and ability to establish excellent professional relationships with senior national/local authorities and donor partners
- Capacity to build strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client responding positively to feedback.
- Excellent oral communication skills in English
- Excellent written communication skills in English, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize findings and contribute to reports in a succinct manner
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high-ranking members of national and international institutions, government and non-government.
- Capacity to perform effectively under pressure and with discretion in a politically sensitive environment, with a minimum of comfort.
- Good inter-personal and teamwork skills, networking aptitude, ability to work in multicultural environment and awareness of gender issues in the workplace.
- Focuses on results for the clients.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view.
- Full working knowledge of English, including excellent drafting and presentation skills; knowledge of Pidgin is required.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.