Job Title: Tourism Coordinator for the Caribbean Region Lead Specialist / Senior Specialist.
Location : Barbados
The IDB Group is a community of diverse, versatile, and passionate people who come together on a journey to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Our people find purpose and do what they love in an inclusive, collaborative, agile, and rewarding environment.
About this position
We are looking for a dynamic professional, with a high knowledge of tourism market trends and strong skills to support and guide the Bank’s tourism technical dialogue and projects. This professional will cover the full range of issues related to the development and consolidation of a sustainable tourism sector in the Caribbean, with a focus on public policies, in areas such as: (i) tourism planning and management of public goods; (ii) conservation of natural and cultural resources through tourism, including capacity building to strengthen the links between sustainable tourism and natural capital; (iii) poverty reduction and social equity through tourism; (iv) attraction of tourism private investment; (v) support to tourism innovation and sectoral business competitiveness, with a focus on tourism MSMEs; (vi) design and monitoring of air connectivity strategies; (vii) tourism market segmentation; (viii) tourism information and statistical systems within the framework of destination governance and sustainability; and (ix) climate mitigation and adaptation of tourist destinations.
You will be assigned to the Environment, Rural Development and Disaster Risk Management ( CSD/RND) Division and, under a matrix structure, will work closely with the Caribbean Countries Department of the IDB and the IDB’s Country Office Representative in Barbados. The main purpose IDB’s work in the tourism sector in the Caribbean is to support the efforts of the Caribbean tourism authorities in the formulation of their sectoral policies and programs, aiming at accelerating the consolidation of a profitable, sustainable, and resilient Caribbean tourism economy.
What you’ll do :
You are expected to exercise leadership in coordinating the IDB’s Caribbean tourism sector strategy working collaboratively with different IDB Divisions and Departments, and the private sector windows of the Group (i.e., IDB Invest and IDB Lab). More specifically, your role will include the following tasks: At a strategic level:
- Caribbean tourism strategy: Lead the development and continuous updating of the Bank’s tourism strategy and its operational lines for the Caribbean context.
- Knowledge Management and Dissemination: optimally share and disseminate tourism knowledge and learning experiences relevant to the Bank’s borrowing Caribbean countries. Build and maintain internal and external networks to facilitate the exchange of knowledge.
- Sector analytical work: You will develop and carry out relevant and timely analytical work to inform the dialogue with the Bank’s Caribbean member countries.
- Sustainability principles: You will facilitate the IDB’s effective support for tourism development in the Caribbean region, including approaches to improve competitiveness, sustainability, social inclusion, and gender equality in Bank-financed operations.
At the operational level :
- Project design: With a regional focus on the Caribbean sub-region, you will lead the identification, design, and preparation of loans and technical cooperations. You will find opportunities for technical and/or financial collaboration, including concessional financing with other organizations that promote sustainable tourism (e.g., GCF, GEF, CIP).
- Project Supervision: You will effectively support and supervise the execution of tourism projects and programs in the Caribbean to improve their results. You will contribute to the management of the tourism portfolio in collaboration with Bank Representatives in borrowing Caribbean countries, heads of operations, fiduciary specialists, and other sectoral specialists and, where appropriate, the implementation of action plans to respond to identified problems. You will prepare monitoring plans and budgets, contributing to each country’s specific planning/work program.
- Project Evaluation: You will participate in the design and implementation of effective methodologies for evaluating projects and programs in the tourism sector. You will prepare analytical knowledge products on the effectiveness of tourism operations and will detail lessons learned.
What you’ll need
- Education: Master’s degree in destination planning and management, tourism economics, tourism marketing, tourism business management or related fields in the tourism sector.
- Experience: Ten or more years of professional experience (preferably international) in the design, implementation, and evaluation of tourism policies; as well as in the management of tourism development projects, preferably with shown experience in the Caribbean region. Previous experience with multilateral or multi-donor funds will be valued.
- Languages: Complete command of English and at least one of the other official languages of the IDB (Spanish, Portuguese, and French).
- Learn continuously
- Collaborate and share knowledge
- Focus on clients
- Communicate and influence
- Innovate and try new things
- Citizenship : You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries . We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents.
- Consanguinity : You have no family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
Type of contract and duration
- International staff contract, 36 months initially, renewable upon mutual agreement.
What we offer
The IDB group provides benefits that respond to the different needs and moments of an employee’s life. These benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package.
- Leaves and vacations : 24 days of paid time off + 8 personal days + sick leave + gender- neutral parental leave
- Health Insurance : IDB Group provides employees and eligible dependents with a robust medical benefits program which covers medical, dental, vision, preventive care, and prescription drugs.
- Pension plan : pre-defined pension plan that provides financial security and support employees in planning for their future.
- We offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your family, when it applies.
- Hybrid and flexible work schedules
- Health and wellbeing: Access to our Health Services Center which provides preventive care and health education for employees.
- Development support : We offer tools to boost your professional profile such as mentoring, 1:1 professional counseling, training and learning opportunities, language classes, mobility options, among others.
- Development support: We offer learning opportunities to boost your professional profile such as seminars, 1:1 professional counseling, and much more.
At the IDB Group we work so everyone brings their best and authentic selves to work, willing to try innovative approaches without fear, and where they are accountable and rewarded for their actions.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) are at the center of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+ people, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Our Human Resources Team reviews carefully every application.
About the IDB Group
The IDB Group, composed of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), IDB Invest, and the IDB Lab offers flexible financing solutions to its member countries to finance economic and social development through lending and grants to public and private entities in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The Inter-American Development Bank is devoted to improving lives. Established in 1959, the IDB is a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. The IDB also conducts innovative research and provides policy advice, technical assistance and training to public and private sector clients throughout the region.
Follow us : https://www.linkedin.com/company/inter-american-development-bank/
- External Opening Date: Aug 29, 2023
- External Closing Date: Sep 30, 2023
- External Contact Email: email@example.com
- Job Field: Sector