Special Vacancy Notice
Open to internal and external candidates
Position Title : Finance Assistant
Duty Station : Dakar, (Senegal)
Category : General Service, Grade G4
Type of appointment : Special Short Term 06 months (with possibility of extension)
Closing date : April 05th, 2023
Estimate start date : As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For this vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
The IOM Country Office in Senegal is recruiting a finance assistant capable of providing support to the finance unit for all financial and administrative aspect of a project.
Under the overall supervision of Resource Management Officer and the direct supervision of Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
In particular, the incumbent will:
- Extract and input data from various sources in financial or accounting systems;
- Respond to accounting, budget or financial queries regarding data from staff in the unit and elsewhere;
- Assist in the preparation of the payroll by executing validity checks on monthly payroll results;
- Review all types of payments starting from purchase to payment requests verifying that they are duly authorized, and all the supporting documents are attached therewith;
- Create new Vendor Accounts in PRISM;
- Verify vendor requests for accuracy and conformance with IOM finance policies and instructions;
- Perform claim verifications against documentation to ensure that purchases/services are properly authorized and that the goods have been received or services rendered;
- Prepare necessary receipt and journal vouchers;
- Assist in the preparation of budget, accounting, financial, statistical reports and other reports as required;
Required qualifications and experiences
- High School diploma with four years of relevant experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finances, or related fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-mail, Outlook; previous experience in SAP is a distinct advantage;
- Attention to detail, ability to organize paperwork in a methodical way;
- Discreet, details and clients-oriented, patient and willingness to learn new things; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process,
which may include written and/oral assessments.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Internal candidates of the Organization will be considered as first-tier candidates.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via e-mail to: email@example.com referring to this advertisement in the subject: “SVN-CO-004-2023 and complete name”. Application must contain a CV and a cover letter.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From March 23th, 2023 to April 05th, 2023.