Position Title : Sr. Project Assistant
Duty Station : IOM Philippines Country Office (Manila)
Classification : General Service Staff, G-6
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 01 March 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Programmes and under the direct supervision of the National Private Sector Engagement Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for providing technical and administrative support related to the implementation of capacity building activities on ethical recruitment for different supply chain actors in global supply chains.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate capacity building activities for global supply chain actors that recruit migrant workers
- Train supply chain actors to develop and implement due diligence on ethical recruitment
- Periodically perform training needs assessments for suppliers of global brands
- Develop training plans on ethical recruitment due diligence for supply chain actors, and lead the coordination of logistical arrangements for each training session
- Tailor training materials for supply chain actors in different industries and countries
- Coordinate the translation of the training materials in local language(s)
- Monitor supplier progress and provide technical support in addressing the challenges raised by supply chain actors
- Develop training guidelines for other IOM staff involved in supply chain capacity building
- Identify challenges in training rollout and implement process improvements
- Draft regular progress reports, project updates, talking points, and briefing materials related to supplier capacity building and private sector engagement as needed
- Provide support in developing ethical recruitment due diligence tools for suppliers and global brands
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- High school diploma with six (6) years of relevant experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of Social Sciences, Law, Sustainability, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with minimum of four (4) years of relevant professional experience.
- Solid experience in training programme implementation
- Demonstrated success in capacity building for the private sector and in facilitating training sessions
- Experience in assessing companies located in different countries and in different industries is preferred
- Experience in monitoring improvement plan status and progress from labour and human rights assessments is preferred
- Experience in drafting regular status and progress report
- Experience working with Government counterparts, UN agencies and/or non-governmental organizations is considered an asset
- Knowledge of local labour standards and international standards on business and human rights
- Knowledge of labor migration and a broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization
- Knowledge of ethical trading practices, management systems on labour rights, and due diligence on responsible business conduct
- Knowledge of country and industry risks related to labour and human rights
- Strong quantitative business analysis skills, attention to detail, and high level of accuracy
- Advanced or intermediate excel skills
- Strong communication skills
Fluency in English and Filipino (oral and written) is required for this position. Working
knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
The candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page), a résumé highlighting the required education and experience, and a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 01 March 2023. Position title and SVN Number (SVN 2023 001 – Sr. Project Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.