Position Title:Senior Editor (English)
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 21 February 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- External female candidates:
- Candidate from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states of IOM and female candidates.
The post is located in the Meetings Secretariat (MGS) of the Executive Office.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Meetings Secretariat and in close cooperation with the other MGS Editor, the Senior Editor (English) will edit and review governing body documents as well as other IOM documents according to requirements.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Edit, review and proofread governing body and related documents, including complex or politically sensitive material, to ensure accuracy, clarity, consistency and conformity with established IOM editorial standards and practice.
- Advise author departments and senior management on editorial style, policy and practice, making recommendations on document content and presentation and the degree of editing required.
- Carry out more extensive editing where required, including rewriting, abridging and restructuring texts for greater readability, better logical sequence and policy and institutional coherence.
- Reformulate or delete statements likely to have adverse political, financial or other consequences for the Organization, in consultation with senior management.
- Ensure that material is accurate (e.g. references, facts, figures, quotations) and verify and correct style, terminology, grammar, spelling and punctuation, keeping in mind the target audience.
- Conduct research and consult author departments to clarify ambiguities and rectify substantive errors.
- Manage and revise the IOM House Style Manual and the IOM spelling list, in the light of developments in editorial practices.
- Attend governing body and related meetings in order to assist in the drafting or editing of documentation and session reports.
- Review and revise the work of editors at lower levels and provide guidance to less experienced staff and contractual editors, as appropriate.
- Respond to internal and external queries on editorial practice.
- Advise the Head of the Meetings Secretariat on the quality of editorial work performed in-house or outsourced and on the choice of suitable collaborators.
- Report to the Head of the Meetings Secretariat on the performance of support staff and assist in the preparation of workplans and assignment of work.
- Act for the Head of the Meetings Secretariat in his or her absence.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Languages, Linguistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Success in the United Nations competitive examination for editors or the United Nations competitive examination for translators/précis-writers and verbatim reporters would be an advantage.
- Nine years (seven years for Master’s degree holders) of professional experience in editing, preferably at the international level;
- Working experience and familiarity with subjects of direct relevance to the work of IOM would be an asset.
- Knowledge and experience of editorial policies, practices and research techniques;
- Strong, writing and analytical skills, with sensitivity to nuance;
- Ability to spot errors and inconsistencies in a text quickly;
- Computer literacy and knowledge of word-processing and of terminology databases; familiarity with software applications for editing procedures.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English and working knowledge of at least one other official UN language is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HERE via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 21 February 2023.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 08.02.2023 to 21.02.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2023 30 Senior Editor (English) (P4) Geneva, Switzerland (57959073) Released
Posting: Posting NC57959074 (57959074) Released