Specialist for identifying gaps in financing, technologies, capacity development and support received
Job advertisement : May 3, 2023
Publication cancellation date : May 18, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FLNIC
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: PSA ( Personal Service Agreements )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Nicaragua-Managua
Duration: 90 days distributed in 5 months
Position Number: N / A
_ FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The main objective of FAO offices, led by an FAO Representative, is to help governments formulate policies, programs and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and use its environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way.
The Specialist will work under the direct supervision of the FAO Representative in Nicaragua, in coordination with the FAO Leading Technical Officer and the Project Coordinator, and in close collaboration with the counterparts of the Secretariat for Climate Change of the Presidency of the Republic ( SCCP ).
Field of specialization
– Design a methodology for the identification of gaps and needs by scope ( mitigation, adaptation or transversal ), in response to the requirements of Decision 2 / CP.17, annex III, section V, with the pertinent improvements to advance towards the Biennial Transparency Reports ( BTR ). – Identify and systematize national gaps and needs in financing, technologies and capacity development, as well as the support received, to face the effects of climate change and contribute to its mitigation, for the period 2015-2021.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Preparation of a work plan and detailed schedule based on the objectives and products contemplated, considering the time available for the development of the consultancy.
- Design of a methodology for the identification of the current state, barriers and needs for continuous improvement in the implementation of measures, improvement of transparency and periodicity of reports, and monitoring of the financing and support received, in response to the requirements of Decision 2 / CP.17, annex III, section V, following the module on Financial needs, techniques and capacity development, and support received for Biennial Update Reports, elements of the Reference Manual for the Enhanced Transparency Framework ( MTR ) under the Paris Agreement, and the Modalities, procedures and guidelines to operationalize the MTR ( CMA 3, 2021 ).
- Identification and assessment of the main financial and technological gaps for the adaptation and mitigation of climate change, as well as the existing gap for the improvement of climate transparency.
- Compilation and classification of the support received, highlighting the flows of financing, technical cooperation and sources of financing during the period 2015-2021, for the development of actions related to the implementation of measures and the preparation of reports. The information must be systematized and adequate in tabular format as suggested in the module on Financial, Technical and Capacity Development Needs, and support received for Biennial Update Reports and on the Modalities, procedures and guidelines to operationalize the MTR ( CMA 3, 2021 ). See links above.
- Develop work sessions to socialize progress and results achieved.
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUED IN ARRANGE TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- University degree in Environmental Sciences, Natural Sciences, Economics or related careers. Diploma or postgraduate studies on climate change will be especially valued.
- Minimum general work experience five ( 5 ) years on issues related to the environment, rural development, adaptation and mitigation to climate change.
- Practical knowledge of Spanish ( C level ). Limited knowledge ( level B ) of English will be assessed.
- Nicaraguan nationality or resident in the country with regular work permit.
FAO core competencies
- Results-based approach
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Ability to work in groups.
- Skills and knowledge for the transfer of knowledge and training.
- Competence in the use of computer tools such as word processors, spreadsheets and presentation programs.
- Statistical management and data analysis programs.
- Drafting of reports and technical documents
- Have carried out at least one consultancy on investment mapping with a climate change approach.
- Experience in information systematization processes will be especially valued.
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/.