Professional digital image processing interpreter
Job advertisement : May 3, 2023
Publication cancellation date : May 17, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FAO Colombia
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Colombia-Bogota
Duration: 3 months trial period, renewable
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
FAO is the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, leading the international effort for a world free of hunger and malnutrition in which food and agriculture contribute to improving the living standards of all its inhabitants, especially the poorest, economically, socially and environmentally sustainable. We work to contribute to the fulfillment of Agenda 2030 and its global goals by promoting sustainable, inclusive and resilient food systems to achieve production, nutrition, an environment and a better life.
The vacancy is located in Bogotá with trips to the project’s areas of action. The position belongs to the area of Natural Resources and Governance.
Under the general supervision of the FAO Representative in Colombia, the Program Officer, technical supervision of the senior specialist in natural resources and governance and direct supervision of the national project coordinator.
Field of specialization
The Professional Digital Image Processing Interpreter is responsible for leading the digital interpretation of images for forest management, in compliance with FAO standards.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of Activity 1.3 “ Support the application of rural environmental cadastres as a measure to monitor deforestation at the farm level ”, defined within the framework of the product “ Strengthening of national and local capacities for monitoring and control ” of the project.
- Work in coordination with the IDEAM Ecosystem and Environmental Information Branch or who from this unit is delegated by IDEAM.
- Generate a detailed work plan and schedule of activities that must be established in agreement with the leader of Digital Image Processing for Deforestation and Degradation ( D&D ), for the object to be developed.
- Perform the digital pre-processing and download of the assigned scenes, regarding the application of procedures for cloud masking, radiometric normalization and/or geometric correction of the assigned scenes and following the established methodological protocol.
- Perform the digital image processing necessary for the generation of early deforestation alerts with the use of remote sensor images.
- Perform digital processing of satellite images to generate estimates of deforestation, regeneration and / or detection of changes in other coverage, in the scenes assigned by the D&D coordination and the project’s area of influence.
- Generate the maps, reports and spatial analyzes derived from the Early Alerts of deforestation, in accordance with the methodology adopted in the area of influence of the Project, as well as monitoring of forest conservation agreements within the project implementation areas.
- Timely attend to observations of the quality control process and apply the adjustments that arise from the process in the assigned scenes.
- Store and structure the intermediate and final products for the generation of deforestation estimates in the assigned scenes in accordance with the standards established by the Forest and Carbon Monitoring System of the IDEAM ( SMByC ).
- Collect the necessary information for the elaboration of the metadata corresponding to the products generated, in accordance with the standards established by the IDEAM.
- Make periodic backup copies of the information according to the specifications defined by the project coordinator.
- Ensure the integrity and security of the information manipulated in the exercise of its activities.
- Compile and contribute to the structuring databases of forest surface monitoring reports, deforestation and monitoring of forest conservation agreements at the property level in the periodicities established by the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development, National Land Agency and project requirements.
- Support in the process of evaluating the thematic accuracy of the forest cover change maps generated by the SMByC.
- Generate and produce the necessary alerts when the processes are in critical stages.
- Deliver monthly reports on the progress of the actions defined in the work plan, as well as a final report on the activities carried out within the term of execution of the contract.
- Participate in work meetings, courses, presentations, and other socialization, training, or capacity transfer events to which it is designated by FAO and IDEAM under the project, including the gender approach for monitoring project activities.
- Support activities arising from cooperation agreements between FAO and IDEAM, in relation to the selection, download or processing of
- satellite images, information generation, reports, reports and graphic outputs.
- Develop field activities when required to carry out their activities and prepare a technical report on each of the outputs according to the needs of the project.
- The others that are requested by the supervisor inherent to the position.
- Carry out its activities, in accordance with the parameters and guidelines established by FAO.
- The consultant must consult, study and appropriate the protocol for reporting cases of sexual exploitation and abuse of communities and report immediately, in accordance with it, the cases that are known to you. FAO Colombia has zero tolerances for any practice of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Promote the generation and dissemination of good gender practices in accordance with FAO’s gender equality policy.
- Draft, document and present reports of results of execution of the planned activities.
- Any other work related to the subject matter that was required by the coordination of the project, that are related to the nature of the position.
- Facilitate the documentation and systematization of FAO strategic experiences.
- Timely diligence at the time of withdrawal from the organization, the charge delivery certificate and, in the event of supervisory functions, follow up on the correct delivery of the position of the personnel in charge.
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUED IN ARRANGE TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Professionals in forestry, cadastral, environmental and biology engineering, desirable postgraduate in geomatics; geographic information systems.
- Five ( 5 ) years of experience in interpreting and processing satellite images for monitoring forest ecosystems, managing remote sensors to track plant cover.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in generating forest surface monitoring data and deforestation through digital image processing, as well as in the generation of natural resource monitoring data through the processing and management of remote sensors.
- Practical knowledge of Spanish ( C level ) spoken and written.
- Colombian nationality.
FAO core competencies
- Results-based approach
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Ability to prepare concise reports in accordance with United Nations standards.
- Work experience with multidisciplinary and multicultural groups.
- Management skills for articulation with regional, local and national actors, of public and private order.
- Teamwork ability, good interpersonal relationships and assertive communication skills.
- Ability to work as a team and establish networks and alliances.
- Leadership, initiative, creativity, responsibility and flexibility.
- Recognized capacity for the preparation and development of work plans.
- Ability to act at all times with extreme discretion regarding United Nations documents, information and materials.
- Permanent attitude and behavior of cordiality, composure, respect and collaboration with all the people and organizations with whom he interacts
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS
- If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term.
- If you need help, contact: Careers@fao.org.