Job Identification : 8769
Locations : Beirut, Lebanon
Posting Date : 02/24/2023, 01:23 PM
Apply Before : 03/11/2023, 04:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNOCHA
Grade : NOC
Vacancy Type : Temporary
Practice Area : UN Coordination
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Arab States
Contract Duration : 6 months
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 5 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 7 year(s) experience
Required Languages : Fluency in oral and written English and Arabic
Mobility required/no mobility
* This position is open to Lebanon nationals ONLY
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA)‘s overall goal in Lebanon is to support the Resident/Humanitarian Coordinator (RC/HC) in his/her function to ensure a principled, efficient and accountable collective humanitarian response to all people in need in Lebanon.
OCHA Lebanon’s focus is to:
- Enhance coordination mechanisms at the strategic and operational levels, in support of the HC and the HCT, to support planning, implementation and monitoring of a principled, efficient and accountable collective response to humanitarian needs in Lebanon;
- Under the purview of the HC and the HCT, support the coordination of emergency response to the compound crisis in Lebanon and facilitate an early transition out of emergency response into longer-term recovery and development activities.
- Strengthen situational awareness in a fluid context, and support a coherent collective analysis of humanitarian needs, gaps and response, with the view to facilitate the development of a coherent narrative shared across the aid community on humanitarian needs and response priorities;
- Mobilize flexible and predictable humanitarian funding for the collective response to humanitarian needs in Lebanon; and,
- Advocate for improved protection and operational space for all humanitarian actors involved in the collective response under the RC/HC purview.
The Special Assistant works under the guidance of the Deputy Special Coordinator, Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator and direct supervision of the OCHA Head of Office, and works in close collaboration with OCHA, RCO, and UNSCOL front offices as required to support the DSCL/RC/HC in implementing his/her duties in Lebanon. The Special Assistant position is embedded within the OCHA office and reports to the OCHA Head of Office regarding administrative, security, welfare, staff development and performance appraisal issues.
Key Duties and Accountabilities
The Special Assistant to DSCL/RC/HC will be responsible for performing the following duties:
Coordination and Facilitation
- Provide substantive and practical support to the DSCL/RC/HC in implementing his/her responsibilities in Lebanon;
- Keep the DSCL/RC/HC informed on all matters requiring his/her personal attention, assist in formulating options as to how those matters might be handled, and ensure appropriate follow-up, as directed;
- Organize and manage the DSCL/RC/HC’s meetings and events, prepare written summaries and conduct follow-up activities, as appropriate and in collaboration with OCHA, RCO and UNSCOL front office as required;
- Support the DSCL/HC/RC in establishing and maintaining contacts with government officials, UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, diplomatic missions, media, etc.;
- Provides planning and support to missions of the DSCL/RC/HC and high-level visiting delegations, drafting concept notes of missions, TPs and background notes, in collaboration with OCHA, RCO and UNSCOL front office as required, managing mission planning and providing support during missions, including all responsibilities for mission follow-up and reporting; travels on mission with the RC/HC if/as relevant;
- Interact with senior colleagues and counterparts on behalf of the DSCL/HC/RC in a professional manner;
- Organize and participate in work groups, meetings, conferences, consultations with partners on political, development and emergency relief related matters;
- Support the organization of field trips in coordination with concerned offices and agencies as relevant;
- Perform other relevant duties as requested by the DSCL/RC/HC.
Analysis, Advice and Reporting:
- Finalize briefing notes, talking points and background notes in collaboration with concerned offices and UN agencies as relevant;
- Research and analyze publications on best practices in order to advise the DSCL/RC/HC and inform his/her activities;
- Identify, analyze and monitor political developments and emerging issues in Lebanon with impact on humanitarian or development programs;
- Assess implications and make recommendations on possible policies, strategies and other measures to address issues of concern and to advance mandated objectives;
- In collaboration with OCHA, RCO and UNSCOL Front Office as relevant, coordinate and finalize inputs and analytical reports including, but not limited to, situation reports, briefing notes, notes to file, and other documents as requested.
- As required, manage incoming and outgoing correspondence of the DSCL/RC/HC;
- Draft correspondence for the DSCL/RC/HC ‘s signature, as well as other internal notes;
- Ensure the timeliness and review/finalize as required documents prepared for the DSCL/RC/HC;
- Assist in the media liaison and manage interview requests;
- Provide guidance to the Communication Officers on speeches and coordinate with Offices and Agencies on required inputs for speeches, Op-eds, media lines and interviews;
- Collaborate with Communication experts on social media messaging and coverage of events and field trips;
- Provide timely inputs to UNHQ materials as requested.
- Master’s degree in Political Science, Management or Development, or other related fields; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in the related fields with additional 2 years of relevant experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master’s degree.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Minimum 5 years with a Master’s degree or 7 years with a Bachelor’s degree of progressive relevant experience in Humanitarian / Development Organizations;
- Previous UN experience is highly desirable;
- Familiarity and good knowledge of humanitarian, social, political and economic conditions in the country;
- Ability to write and communicate orally in a clear and concise manner and effective oral communication
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with a wide variety of government, UN and NGO stakeholders;
- Experience in conducting, participating in and reporting on meetings;
- Excellent computer literacy and skills (word, excel, outlook, ect)
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic is essential;
- Knowledge of French is an advantage.
Expected Demonstration of Competencies
Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
Learn Continuously LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
Adapt with Agility LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
Act with Determination LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
Engage and Partner LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
Enable Diversity and Inclusion LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business Direction & strategy System Thinking Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
Business Development Knowledge Generation Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
Business Development Human-centered Design Ability to develop solutions to problems by involving the human perspective in all steps of the problem-solving process
Business Management Project Management Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
Business Management Partnerships Management Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with agency strategy and policies
Business Management Communication Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
Business Management Customer Satisfaction/Client Management Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests. Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
Candidates selected pursuant to this vacancy may be subject to UNDP’s policy on Probation upon assignment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.