Job Identification : 8238
Locations : Dushanbe, Tajikistan
Posting Date : 02/27/2023, 07:26 AM
Apply Before : 03/14/2023, 03:59 AM
Degree Level : Advanced/Postgraduate Degree
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NB4
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Economics
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS
Contract Duration : 6 months
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English, Tajik and Russian
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
Job Category : Management
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Aid for Trade project makes part of UNDP Tajikistan Sustainable Economic Development Cluster, that is an integrated portfolio of projects addressing issues affecting the lives of people on the ground in a holistic and cross-disciplinary manner, aiming at the sustainable development of the most marginalized communities throughout the country. The mission of UNDP SED Cluster is to support livelihood improvement efforts of the Government of Tajikistan through improving local governance and creating conditions for sustainable local economic development.
The overall objective of UNDP’s ‘Aid for Trade in Central Asia – phase V’ project is to support Central Asian countries in promoting inclusive and sustainable growth through promoting green value chains and increasing competitiveness with strong emphasis on building more resilient, secure and gender-responsive economic structures through economic diversification and adapting to the COVID-19 emerging trends.
The overall emphasis of the Project will be on building ‘forward-looking’ productive capacities, enhancing efficiency and competitiveness of target ‘green’ value chains and niche products which will be identified in the agricultural, agro-industrial, but also in other employment-rich sectors, contributing to inclusive and sustainable human development through increased number of decent green jobs and livelihood opportunities for vulnerable communities, and with the emphasis on enhancing their resilience to domestic economic inefficiencies and external shocks, including COVID-related shocks.
The identification of green products and value chains will be guided by ensuring better competitiveness through foresighting new and emerging markets and consumer trends. Only products which contribute to greening the economies and generate decent employment will be considered.
The project will address the development challenge through the following three sub-components:
- At the regional level:
- Supporting regional cooperation, connectivity and integration into regional and global value chains
- At the country levels:
- Supporting enabling environment for building economic resilience, and inclusive and sustainable growth
- Supporting job creation and improving the efficiency, competitiveness and gender-responsiveness of target ‘green’ value chains
The National Coordinator will be based in Dushanbe, Tajikistan and will have a frequient travels to all project zones (Sughd and Khatlon regions and DRS). The National Coordinator will be responsible for the following functions:
- project management
- partnership, coordination and cooperation
- monitoring and evaluation
- knowledge sharing and communication.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake the day-to-day management of the project in the country in line with approved work plans and budgets;
- Manage the human and financial resources for achieving project results in line with the outputs and activities outlined in the project document and annual work plans;
- Establish performance management system, based on UNDP’s results and competency assessment system, to monitor project personnel performance;
- Be responsible for financial project management through Quantum, in line with delegated authorities and internal control framework.
- Ensure timely and efficient planning, implementation and follow up of procurement activities within the assigned project;
- Develop the annual and quarterly work plans for the projects;
- Facilitate project approval and budget revision processes as per UNDP policies and procedures.
- Develop terms of reference for consultants and advisors who will be working towards programme delivery and supervise their work.
- Develop agreements with partners (Letters of Agreement, Responsible Party Agreements, Low-Value Grant Agreements etc.)
- Organize Programme meetings, National Steering Committees meetings, preparatory meetings for the parners and donors.
- Participate and substantively contribute to the planning and conduction of external audits, evaluations and reviews related to assigned project.
- Apply consecutive efforts to integrate gender equality considerations in project-related activities and in daily leadership practices.
Partnership, Coordination and Cooperation:
- Ensure the participation and involvement of relevant stakeholders in project activities so that the process is inclusive, participatory and transparent and that a high level of collaboration and cooperation is in place at the regional and district level.
- Assess impact and effectiveness through regular consultations with local counterparts and beneficiaries, tracking outputs and results, and ensuring timely and efficient delivery of project/programme outputs;
- Ensure the development of cross-project linkages with other relevant projects and programmes for mutually reinforcing impact.
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with other projects of UNDP and with Local Innovation and Implementation Centers to ensure integration, strategic focus and gender-responsiveness of all programme activities;
- Keep close coollaboration and regular communication with the relevant staff of UNDP in Regional Hub, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan to ensure coordinated approach for the regionally-focused activities.
- Support the Country office partnership efforts to mobilize the human, technical or financial resources from development organizations, non-government organizations and the private sector to support and leverage the project outcomes.
- Liaise with local and national government bodies, civil society, academia and target populations to ensure an efficient implementation of the project, as well as appropriation by all stakeholders.
Monitoring and evaluation:
- Manage the implementation of effective monitoring and evaluation, information and reporting systems as well as communication strategy for the assigned project;
- Monitor national context, emergence of players/stakeholders and actualization of risks that have implications for the project;
- Compile a summary of lessons learnt and experiences for further development of recommendations to ensure better quality of project’s outputs.
- Undertake missions to all project locations on a quarterly basis.
- Ensure midterm and end term evaluations are undertaken properly and in line with UNDP standards.
Knowledge sharing and communication:
- Lead the process of knowledge capture of national and international know-how in the subject area and production of knowledge-based products.
- Promote the substantive quality of all knowledge products, and donor reports as per set reqeusirments.
- Supports relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners.
- Collects knowledge on current and emerging trends by gathering relevant information on projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices.
- Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
People Management Competencies
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
- Project Management :
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- UN policy knowledge – ethics:
- Knowledge and understanding of the UN Staff Regulations and Rules and other policies relating to ethics and integrity
- Gender :
- Women’s Economic Empowerment, including labour issues
- Communication :
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience;
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Partnerships Management :
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Risk Management :
- Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks
- Inclusive Growth:
- Job/ Employment /Decent work Promotion.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in economics, development studies, social science, business administration or other related subjects.
- Bachelor’s degree with additional 2 years of qualifying experience maybe taken into consideration in lieu of the Master’s degree.
- Minimum 2 years (with Master’s degree) or 4 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of experience in programme/project management.
- Experience in managing project staff, financial and operational management, contract management and procurement.
- Experience in trade policy, supporting the development of trade promotion institutions and private sector.
- Sound knowledge of country and regional context and development challenges.
- Extensive knowledge of private sector development issues in Tajikistan. Knowledge of trade and export promotion measures and business advisory development, knowledge on the field of trade policy, development the business associations/NGOs and the human development concept is preferred.
- Knowledge and skills in project/programme monitoring and evaluation.
- Evidence of gender-responsiveness and gender sensitivity in the area of expertise.
- Excellent computer skills, including full command of text and spreadsheet programmes, data bases and web-based communication tools.
- Strong analytical, communication and negotiation skills.
- Experience with the UNDP is an asset.
- Knowledge of ERP systems is an asset.
- Fluency in English, Tajik and Russian languages.
The National Coordinator will report on a daily basis to the Team Leader on Sustainable Economic Development in UNDP Tajikistan (as a primary supervisor) and to the AFT Project Manager in the Istanbul Regional Hub (as a secondary supervisor).
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
- Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.