Position Title: Social Media Associate
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 13 February 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Media and Communications Unit (MCU) of IOM is comprised of experienced communications professionals based in Geneva and Manila.
The Unit provides advice and support on media and public information issues to IOM Headquarters, Regional and Country Offices worldwide. It is responsible for global media relations as well as producing a wide variety of on- and off-line public information materials, manages IOM’s web presence, institutional branding and global social media, digital tools and oversees initiatives including the Global Migration Media Academy and the It Takes A Community Campaign.
Under the overall supervision of the Director of MCU and direct supervision of the Social Media Officer, the Social Media Associate will assist in the management of all IOM’s global social media outputs from Headquarters and provide strategic advice to ensure that content produced by the Public Information Officers at Regional and -Country Offices are of the highest standards, adhere to IOM’s social media and brand guidelines, and that the Organization’s digital reputation is protected.
The role also encompasses data protection of IOM beneficiaries whose digital images are used on social media. They will be responsible for supporting the development of social media content, social listening and monitoring, as well as social media campaigns executed across all social media channels.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the IOM global social media strategy and advise on matters related to digital trends and campaigns.
- Assist in managing IOM social media activities in alignment with the Organization’s strategic communications priorities and branding guidelines including, but not limited to, the development of online content and campaigns delivered across various platforms.
- In coordination with the Social Media Officer, facilitate the management all IOM’s global social media accounts and use analytics tools to measure performance and guide strategic social media decisions
- Protect IOM’s online reputation by overseeing social media monitoring and listening activities using dedicated software. Monitor conversations with followers in a consistent brand voice across all channels to ensure inquiries and comments receive a response in a timely and accurate manner. Provide recommendations to IOM staff on digital engagement techniques.
- Prepare relevant content in accordance with audiences’ needs and latest trends.
- Liaise with and represent IOM’s interests in meetings with Social Media Managers of other UN agencies and INGOs.
- Maintain strong contacts with social media focal points at regional and country offices to promote IOM’s global footprint while ensuring the integrity of IOM’s reputation to the extent possible, assisting with content production, trainings, workshops, and recommend latest trends and/or projects as required.
- Collaborate with MCD and OCU colleagues to develop online content, campaigns,awareness-raising efforts to promote safe, order and regular migration, and the rights of migrants.
- Observe trends and new social media marketing opportunities as they become available and leverages them to execute new campaigns.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Digital Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Extensive experience in marketing with emphasis on digital/social media;
- Proven experience in building and sustaining strong relationships with peer groups and agencies;
- Working knowledge and experience leveraging social media in support of larger integrated social media campaigns within the United Nations or NGO sector;
- Practical experience of digital content production tools such design and video editing software.
- Sound understanding of migration issues;
- Excellent research, writing, communication and analytical skills;
- Excellent communication skills in English (oral and written);
- Good understanding of communication campaigns and tools, including engaging audiences via social media and other digital channels;
- Excellent level of computer literacy;
- Demonstrated organizational skills;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a diverse environment;
- Proven ability to produce accurate, high-quality work and meet deadlines;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work independently;
- Proficient in digital and social media across paid platforms, specifically in Facebook, Twitter,Tik Tok, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Viber, Telegram, Line, Weibo and other emerging platforms.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of any of the other official IOM languages is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 13 February 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2023 23 Social Media Associate (P2) Geneva, Switzerland (57952549) Released
Posting: Posting NC57952550 (57952550) Released