Position Title: Senior Programme Manager (Labour Mobility, Social Inclusion, and Migrant Protection)
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 08 March 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), and the direct supervision of the Head of Programme and Policy development, the Senior Programme Manager (Labour Mobility,
Social Inclusion and Migrant Protection) will be responsible and accountable for the oversight, management, and coordination of IOM Kenya Country office programmes in response to Labour Mobility and Social Inclusion and Protection Portfolio in close coordination with relevant Regional Thematic Specialists (RTS) and Headquarters (HQ) thematic Units.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Lead IOM Kenya Country Office’s Labour mobility and Social Inclusion and Protection Portfolio with a view to ensuring that all projects are implemented in a principled, timely, effective, and efficient manner.
- Exercise operational, administrative, and financial management responsibility for the successful implementation of the different projects by the IOM implementing team, ensuring that the processes are transparent and in compliance with IOM and donor regulations and obligations.
- Supervise programme activities, provide expert recommendations and technical guidance to the IOM implementing team and the Implementing Partners (IPs) and take corrective or alternative action for improvement and success of the programme in coordination with the relevant regional thematic specialists.
- Monitor and evaluate project activities while ensuring proper utilization of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), manuals, guidance notes, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) tools and methodologies in the implementation of project activities. Contribute to knowledge management between Headquarters, the Regional Office, and the Country Office.
- Liaise with other East and Horn of Africa Programme Managers and RTSs to identify, discuss and implement synergies and complementarities of activities, on both policy and programmatic levels, between IOM KCO LMI/MPA programs and other relevant regional programs/initiatives Better Regional Migration Management/ Regional Forum on Migration, Better Migration Management, Africa Regional Migration Program, Migration Response Plan and Joint Labour Migration Programme etc. (BRMM/RMFM, BMM, JI, ARMP, MRP, JLMP). Explore opportunities for cross-programmatic, cross-thematic approaches that increase the impact and reach of IOM programs (national and regional).
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships and regular liaison with project partners such as the Research think tanks, Government institutions, UN agencies, private sectors, and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) aiming at enhancing coordination of, facilitating the implementation of ongoing activities and implementation.
- Advise the Head of Programme and Policy Development and COM on the emerging trends of migration in Kenya with recommendations that can feed into country and regional policies, frameworks, and strategies.
- Identify programme development opportunities, funding sources and establish strategic partnerships that promote the expansion of the IOM Labour Mobility, Social Inclusion and Migrant Protection portfolio at the country level.
- Coordinate and liaise with donor representatives and periodically brief them on current and planned programmes. Ensure adequate information management and reporting on project activities including raising IOM’s and donor’s visibility and provide summaries, press releases and other relevant materials.
- Develop and adjust over time the overall direction and work of Labour Mobility and MigrantProtection with the IOM’s country strategy, EHOA regional strategy, and according to the needs and priorities of the Government of Kenya.
- Identify synergies to develop cross thematic policy and programmatic approaches to address the issues of labour mobility and migrant protection in coordination with relevant regional thematic specialists.
- Provide strategic advice to the Head of Programme and Policy Development to identify areas of collaboration and joint programmes in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework in Kenya.
- Represent IOM in UN, regional or partner meetings such as the thematic working group meetings on Migration and Development, Counter Trafficking and Smuggling of Migrants formed to support the implementation of the Global Compact on Migration (GCM), represent Head of Programme and Policy Development in Programme Management Team (PMT) meetings, and ensure the adequate liaison with other relevant stakeholders as requested.
- Provide supervision, guidance and direction to all staff members implementing the national and regional projects such as; Prevention of Trafficking in Person (TiP) in communities affected by Climate Change; Better Migration Management; Enhancing Capacities on Labour Migration Data collection project; Better Regional Migration Management Project; Promoting Ethical recruitment in the hotel and tourism industry; Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration undertaken by IOM Kenya Country Office; and ensure that adequate and relevant capacity building are provided to the members of the team.
- Undertake duty travel to the field to monitor the activities and to identify bottlenecks and implement solutions.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Management, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in programme coordination, including operational and managerial experience in the fields of Migrant Protection including counter trafficking, migration and development, climate change and research and other relevant areas.
- Experience in programme management with a strong knowledge of IOM/UN project life cycles.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, donors, national and international institutions, UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, local communities in a multi-cultural setting.
- Familiarity with financial and administrative management, preferably in IOM or UN agencies.
- Previous operational and field experience in Kenya or EHOA can be advantage.
- Excellent leadership, coordination, and information management skills.
- Sound judgment, ability to extract, interpret, analyse, and format data and make decision rapidly to resolve operational problems.
- Capacity to work effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office package (Excel, PowerPoint,Outlook).
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of either French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.p df
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 March 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2023 69 Senior Programme Manager (Labour Mobility, Social Inclusion and Migrant
Protection) (P4) Nairobi, Kenya (57989812) Released
Posting: Posting NC57989813 (57989813) Released