Position Title: ICT Officer (Solutions Architecture)
Duty Station: Valencia, Spain
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 08 March 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief, MiMOSA Systems & Migrant Solution and direct supervision of the Senior ICT Officer (Project Management), the ICT Officer (Solutions
Architecture) will be responsible to interpret the business problems in order to design and build technology solutions. The ICT Officer (Solutions Architect) will be responsible for aligning the logical, technical, and physical architectural design of global Migrant Solutions, web applications and interfaces with internal and external partner systems, services, and projects within the overall enterprise architecture framework.
The successful candidate will coordinate with other Information and Communications Technology (ICT) units to provide technical solutions and implement the software solutions landscape for high performance, optimized and network efficient solutions as required by all business processes and in compliance with the Enterprise Architecture.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Translates business and technical requirements into an architectural blueprint to achieve business objectives and documents all solution architecture design and analysis work.
- Creates architectural designs to guide and contextualize solution development across products, services, projects and systems (including applications, technologies, processes and information). Define, implement, and execute processes for the definition, maintenance and compliance monitoring of the Enterprise Architecture for Migrant Solutions.
- Design, plan and implement the software solution landscape of the Migrant solutions to support business process and product prioritization; and ensure alignment with the enterprise architectural roadmap and the organization’s vision.
- Formulate plans, timelines, milestones and enumerate deliverables for assigned projects; Create proof of concepts, architectural analysis, design and implementation of web-based applications and services.
- Establish and maintain relationship with business units, business analysts, partner institutions and software development teams to understand patterns of business activities and maintain a current inventory of business architecture. Develop synergies and identify opportunities for simplification and harmonization of business processes.
- Direct the implementation of internal and external application interfaces, track risks and mitigation measures and ensure that solutions are aligned with the internal and external organizational requirements.
- Keep abreast of new technologies, methods and techniques, identify opportunities for their relevance to the work of IOM and provide thought leadership on how best to incorporate them into existing landscape while continuously reviewing the impact on the organization’s environment;
- As member of the Architecture, Release, Demand and Project boards; Provide technical guidance to ensure that application landscape is based on robust and optimized architecture for high performance and availability, rich user experience, bandwidth efficiency and responsiveness.
- Propose and oversee implementation of technological standards and best practices related to IT solutions and Application Lifecycle Management policies and procedure; ensure that recommended architecture and designs is in line with industry best practices, existing corporate applications, embedded and/or interfacing with organization’s enterprise solution landscape.
- Coordinate technological choices/evaluation and implementation of best practices; review proposals and evaluate cost estimates from vendors and determine whether they fit into existing budgetary and time restrictions and ensure that external solutions work with internal development projects.
- Coordinate with respective ICT Unit heads and business users to ensure interoperability between the various solutions; Champion the implementation of Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery and Continuous Deployment practices.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, information Technology, Engineering, Systems Analysis, Software Development or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience in software development.
- Professional certification in software development, cloud computing, CISCO or a related area of expertise is a distinct advantage
- Advanced experience and knowledge of object-oriented architecture and design patterns for building highly scalable applications; with experience as Technical Lead for at least two full project lifecycles for a medium or large sized web-based application and Interface/API implementation;
- Good experience and understanding of product management, agile principles, and development methodologies;
- Experience delivering presentations to senior-level executives and technical audiences;
- Good technical background and experience in software development; and multiple Web Technologies and framework including Java, .NET, ASP .Net, MVC, SQL Server and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of Angular JS, AJAX, HTML5, C#, web services, cloud design patterns, Artificial Intelligence and Blockchain Technology is an advantage; Knowledge of issue tracking and version control systems including Jira and Git; knowledge of Configuration Management tools such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt or similar; knowledge of Scripting/tooling languages like Ruby, Python, Powershell, Perl or similar.
- Knowledge of CICD tools like Jenkins and TeamCity; DevOps/DevSecOps roles in an agile context.
- Strong leadership, problem-solving, project management and analytical skills with capacity to understand IT business requirements and to translate them into technical solutions.
- Skills in project management using industry standards, systems analysis, technical design and application architecture, database design and requirements and preparation of technical user documentation.
- Excellent communication and time management skills; Focused on delivering what needs to be done with the ability to multi-task and work under pressure.
- Proficiency in developing automated unit and integration tests and continuous integration(kubernetes, docker etc.).
- Experience creating and working with development pipelines using tools such as Git, Jenkins,TFS, Sonarqube, GoCD, Maven, Ant, NPM, Artifactory.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of either French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 March 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2023 67 ICT Officer (Solutions Architecture) (P3) Valencia, Spain (57989922) Released
Posting: Posting NC57989923 (57989923) Released