I. Position Information
Position title: Senior Human Resources Assistant
Position grade : G-6
Duty station : Bahrain
Duration**:** One Year Fixed Term
Job family : Human Resources
Organizational unit : Resources Management Unit
Location: Country Office, Bahrain
Reports directly to: Head of Resources Management Unit
II. Organizational Context and Scope
Brief definition of the organizational context, reporting lines and scope, for example:
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Bahrain and direct supervision of the Senior Administrative and Finance Assistant ; and, in collaboration with relevant units at Headquarters and the Administrative Centers, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for managing the resources management functions in Bahrain Mission.
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
1. Participate in evaluation of staffing needs in the office and assist in coordination of recruitment processes, including but not limited to, providing guidance to hiring managers on preparation of Terms of Reference, drafting and posting Vacancy Notice/Special Vacancy Notice, screening and shortlisting applications, drafting interview protocols, preparing and administering written tests, taking part in interview panels as assigned, drafting candidates assessment forms, conducting reference checks, preparing job offers, administering recruitment mailbox, etc.
2. Carry-out and coordinate pre-employment activities such as preparation of Entry on Duty (EOD) documentation and collection of supporting documentation, coordination of EOD medical exams and follow-up with Health Insurance Medical Service (Manila or Panama) on medical clearance, coordinate enrollment in insurance plans as appropriate, coordination and delivery of induction sessions, arrangement for security briefing, etc.
3. Perform assigned role(s) in PRISM HR paying special attention to data consistency and accuracy; input, maintain and verify data based on approvals and supporting documentation; verify eligibility for allowances and other benefits, monitor and follow up on contractual situation and entitlements, and initiate and coordinate prompt actions; generate, edit and review reports, contract extensions, personnel actions and other related documentation.
4. Monitor attendance and leave administration; generate, edit and analyse leave-related reports; respond to questions concerning leave administration; guide staff on request and approval procedure in PRISM.
5. Carry-out and monitor a wide range of Human Resource actions including but not limited to preparation of documentation for separation, classification, reclassification, promotion, disciplinary cases and coordinate with the Regional Office, Administrative Centers and Human Resource Management in Geneva as appropriate.
6. Prepare, coordinate and monitor all reports on personnel matters and submit timely to concerned parties; draft and review routine correspondence, letters, certifications, etc.; create and maintain a systematic way to archive Human Resources documents (electronic and hard copies). Update and maintain electronic and physical archiving systems in the unit including personnel files with all supporting documentation, recruitment files, Human Resources policies, regulations, guidelines and manuals, internal controls, etc.
7. Monitor compliance with the Staff Evaluation System and follow-up with staff and supervisor as needed; facilitate compliance by providing technical guidance on the use of the system.
8. Plan and coordinate the organization of Human Resources events including staff development and training activities in coordination with the Staff Development and Learning Unit and maintain updated records. Participate in assessments of staff training and development needs.
9. Provide information to staff on their entitlements and responsibilities in line with IOM regulations, instructions and procedures. Respond to standard and more complex inquiries and refer the most sensitive ones as appropriate.
10. Identify areas for improvement and highlight them to the supervisor; provide inputs for new procedures to complement or to adapt existing ones taking into consideration the specific needs of the office. Assist in analyzing and resolving sensitive cases by collating background information, preparing summaries and sharing best practices. Provides comments on interpretation
11. Participate in inter-agency Human Resources related working groups as assigned.
12. Provide guidance and training to and coordinate and monitor work of new/junior staff in the unit.
13. Perform other related duties as assigned.
IV. Required Qualifications and Experience
- High School diploma with six years of relevant experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Psychology or related field with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-mail, Outlook; previous experience in SAP is a distinct advantage;
- Attention to detail, ability to organize paperwork in a methodical way;
- Discreet, details and clients-oriented, patient and willingness to learn new things; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticism.
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders.
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others.
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience.
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility.
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter.
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
Required : Fluent English
Desirable : Working Knowledge of Arabic
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Qualified interested candidates should submit their CV together with a 1-page motivation letter to IOM Bahrain (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before 01.03.2023. Applications received after this date will not be considered.