I. Position Information
Position title: Graphic Designer (CIOP)
Position grade: G7
Duty station: Bahrain
Job family: Communications
Organizational unit: Labour Mobility and Social Inclusion (CIOP)
Location: Country Office, Bahrain
Reports directly to: Communications Specialist (CIOP)
Number of Direct Reports: 0
II. Organizational Context and Scope
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) in Bahrain hosts the Comprehensive Information & Orientation Programme (CIOP) Hub, which has a mandate to serve IOM missions around the world in advocating and developing tailored and harmonized orientation programmes for labour migration.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Labour Mobility & Social Inclusion (LMI) in Bahrain and direct supervision of the Communications Specialist (CIOP), the successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out all graphic design, ensure that all knowledge products of the CIOP Hub are fully responsive to the target audience and in line with IOM and CIOP brand guidelines.
The Graphic Designer (CIOP) will report directly to the Communication Specialist (CIOP) and is expected to work closely with all members of the CIOP Hub, the IOM Media and Communications Division as well as the IOM Publication Department.
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The Graphic Designer (CIOP) will be responsible for the following:
- Lead the creative process for the development of all knowledge products of the CIOP Hub to ensure quality, representation and relevance to end-users, including but not limited to migrants.
- Create high quality graphic design elements, including artwork and infographics, for all English content of CIOP Hub knowledge products and materials, ensuring alignment with IOM Publications Layout Manual, IOM Brand Style Guide and other relevant IOM guidelines.
- Provide technical input and guidance to the CIOP Hub on all aspects related to design and the end-products, prioritizing sustainability and impact.
- Work closely with the Communications Specialist (CIOP) to launch and maintain the global CIOP Community of Practitioners, ensuring relevant graphic design elements on knowledge management platforms, such as Microsoft Teams, Sharepoint and the website.
- Coordinate the visual component of the CIOP Hub Communication Strategy for offline and online activities.
- Finalize relevant knowledge products and materials, including layout, typesetting and mirroring relevant design work in publications of other languages with support from native speakers.
- Monitor graphic designers and service providers commissioned by the CIOP Hub, ensuring quality and adherence to IOM guidelines, including for printing and publications.
- Create relevant templates for the CIOP Hub and IOM-Bahrain units to use for design products, including powerpoint presentations, briefs and annual reports.
- Develop comprehensive branding guidelines for national communication campaigns, awareness raising efforts and orientation programmes.
- Shoot and produce short videos from concept to finalization, as well as take photographs, ensuring adherence to IOM guidelines.
- Support the LMI Unit and the Chief of Mission of IOM-Bahrain with the development of high-quality graphic design elements for strategic documents, including but not limited to concept notes and proposals, powerpoint presentations, reports and mockups.
- Stay abreast of all graphic design applications and software.
- Perform such other tasks that may be assigned.
IV. Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Multimedia Design, Communication and Design or a related qualification from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience. Or High School Degree/Certificate in the above fields with at least seven years of relevant experience.
- Proven experience in producing publications and materials with innovative graphic design elements.
- Professional experience with working with Government organizations on awareness raising campaigns is required.
- Experience of graphic production from start to published/printed product with knowledge of printing processes (offset and digital) and colour management.
- Experience with UN agencies is considered a strong asset.
- Excellent skills in using design software such as Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, or similar.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, such as PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Good knowledge of video editing using Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, or similar.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality videos and photographs.
- Ability to stay abreast of good practices with graphic design.
- Demonstrated ability to work under time pressure and deliver work of outstanding ability.
- Must be able to work well under pressure while handling several projects simultaneously.
- Meticulous and very attentive to detail.
Desirable: Working knowledge of other UN languages.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Qualified interested candidates should submit their CV together with a 1-page motivation letter to IOM Bahrain (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before 01.03.2023. Applications received after this date will not be considered.