Organizational Context and Scope
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is part of the United Nations System as the leading inter-governmental organization promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all, with 174 member states and a presence in over 100 countries. Established in 1951 and now active in over 400 field locations worldwide, IOM works with partners, government and civil society to:
- Assist in meeting the operational challenges of migration and mobility
- Advance understanding of migration issues
- Encourage social and economic development through migration; and
- Uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants and mobile populations.
The IOM Regional Office for West and Central Africa, covering 23 countries, has defined three regional strategic objectives for the 2020–2024 period based on the three pillars of the IOM Strategic Vision (2019–2023).
These objectives are mutually reinforcing and indicative of the Organization’s ambition to be the driving force in the global conversation on migration. They respond to current and emerging challenges, positioning the Organization to better serve Member States and migrant populations throughout all stages of their journey across the West and Central Africa region and beyond.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Regional Director and the direct supervision of the Regional Policy and Liaison Officer and in close coordination with the Regional Security Officer, the incumbent will work to provide effective support to the Executive Office and the Regional Policy and Liaison Unit (RPLU) as well las to the Regional Security Officer.
In particular he/she will:
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the Executive Office and the RPLU, including but not limited to support in travel arrangements, procurement as well as to the organization, implementation and follow-up of workshops and meetings.
- Assist in organizing, and coordinating conferences, training sessions, meetings, and VIP visits inside and outside the IOM premises.
- Update the knowledge management tools of the Executive Office and the RPLU, including share points and teams.
- Keep track of requests for input, review, and coordination, including reports, submitted to the RPLU, their deadlines and points of actions, regularly update the Regional Office Project Matrix and provide regular updates to the RPLU.
- Support the preparation of reports in English and in French.
- Support as required the collection of information of a broad range of subjects relevant to IOM’s mandate as well as the work of the RPLU.
- Properly maintain and archive security administration documentation (travel clearances, TRIP profiles, staff lists etc.) for future access if required.
- Update and coordinate with relevant units to ensure Business Contingency Plan (BCP) is updated as needed.
- Coordinate with Human Resources Unit to ensure the staff list is updated on a weekly basis and update Warden and staff lists for national and international staff as needed.
- Assist the Regional Security Officer (RSO) in maintaining the inventory and monitoring the use of safety equipment such as, radios, staff callsigns, satellite phones, first aid kits, trauma bag, emergency stock etc. Ensure there is proper maintenance of Security assets.
- Establish and maintain, on behalf of the Regional Security Assistant (RSA), a register of daily occurrences (RDO) and capture all events and incidents reported to the Office of Staff Safety and Security (OSS).
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Political/Social Science, International Relations, Law Enforcement, Security or Disaster Management with three years of relevant professional experience; or
High school diploma in Political/Social Science, International Relations, Law Enforcement, Security or Disaster Management with five years of relevant professional experience.
Experience & skills
- Working experience with UNs and/or International NGOs on security management, coordination, programme support, data, and administration management.
- Excellent writing and communication skills; ability and proven track record to prepare and present clear and concise papers and reports in French and English
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills
- Strong analytical and creative thinking skills.
- High computer literacy; familiarity with standard word processing, spreadsheet, database, publishing, internet research, and e-mail communication.
- Personal commitment, flexibility, efficiency, and drive for results; ability to perform research and make effective decisions under time pressure.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Fluency in both French and English is required.
- Proficiency in Portuguese will be an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Appointment is subject to confirmation of funding.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to send their applications (CV and cover letter in a unique PDF file) to: email@example.com by 30-Dec-22, with email subject: “ROWCA-HR-22-001-SVN”
. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.