Job Identification : 9114
Locations : Chisinau, Moldova
Posting Date : 03/13/2023, 10:43 AM
Apply Before : 03/28/2023, 03:59 AM
Degree Level : Secondary School Leaving Certificate
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NPSA-7
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Governance
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 7 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English and Romanian
Desired Languages : Russian, Romani, Gagauzian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian and sign language
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
Job Category : Administration/Operations/Support
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
“Building sustainable and inclusive peace, strengthening trust and social cohesion in Moldova” Project seeks to facilitate an enabling environment for improved interconnection and engagement between both banks of Nistru river through the advancement of, and cross-river interaction on human rights, gender-responsive peacebuilding, promotion of equal access to services and the strengthening of social cohesion at the backdrop of heightened regional tensions caused by the war in Ukraine.
“One UN Joint Action to Strengthen Human Rights in the Transnistrian region of the Republic of Moldova” covering the period 2023-2025 will contribute to increase the capacities of vulnerable groups to exercise their rights, to improve the systems and protection mechanisms, as well as to promote the culture of human rights on the left bank of the Nistru River.
The programme aims to consolidate the results obtained since 2019 in terms of strengthening the capacities of vulnerable groups to achieve their rights (people with disabilities, Roma community, people living with HIV/AIDS, survivors of domestic violence, prisoners after release, youth, children in conflict with the law), through the Sustainable (Community) Development Platform, but also through financing various civil society initiatives in the field of human rights. In the previous stages of the programme, with the support of the UN and Sweden, new services and social initiatives for vulnerable groups were launched on the left bank of Nistru.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Associate in close cooperation with the project team, under the direct supervision of the Programme Manager, will ensure the provision of administrative and financial services of the highest quality and standards to the project team, UNDP Country office, as well as national counterparts and clients. More specifically: Administrative management:
- Assume overall responsibility for the coordination of project administrative matters;
- Contribute to project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and work plans;
- Monitor compliance with both UNDP and Donor standards and ensure the corresponding quality control;
- Provide advice to the project team on administrative issues and financial issues;
- Maintain records on all project personnel and consultants, including their respective status (e.g. contracts, ToRs and reports, etc.) in accordance with accepted policies and procedures;
- Ensure compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies under UNDP HR procedures;
- Undertake other administrative tasks on an ad hoc basis.
- Ensure compliance with all corporate rules of UNDP in the field of financial planning, reporting, and auditing;
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Produce relevant operational and financial reports according to UNDP rules and procedures;
- Respond to queries from the UNDP and SDC with respect to financial aspects of the programme, liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Prepare requests for advance of funds and/or direct payments, as well as proposals for budget revisions;
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and other reports as required for budget preparations and audit;
- Perform necessary checks of the financial reports submitted by sub-contracted project implementers;
- Advise and assist international and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Provide advice to the team on project financial issues;
- Undertake other financial tasks on an ad hoc basis.
- Organize procurement processes in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Elaborate the Project’s procurement plan and monitor its implementation;
- Process transactions in Quantum, in line with the Internal Control Framework;
- Prepare and issue project contracts;
- Prepare and oversee the Project’s asset inventory;
- Undertake other procurement tasks on an ad hoc basis.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
- Digital Awareness and Literacy
- Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skilfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
- Operations Management
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner
- Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms.
- Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solution, and deliver timely and quality results ans/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests
- Ability to anticipate clients’ upcoming needs and concerns.
- Event planning and execution
- Ability to plan, manage and execute of public and private events to ensure that they support and amplify individual communications and advocacy initiatives, as well as UNDP’s overall brand and mandate.
- Entitlement travel
- Knowledge of policy and procedures related to entitlement travel, including the identification of entitlement for lump sum for UNDP as well as other UN agencies
- Documents and records management
- Overall document (hard or electronic) management; registry and retention policy including storing and archiving
- Events management (including retreats, trainings and meetings)
- Ability to manage events, including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance, Accounting, Law, Public Administration or other related fields is desired.
- Minimum 7 years (with Secondary education) or 4 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of experience in administrative work, accounting/finance, economics, or other substantive area.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience in development assistance or related work for a development organization, consulting company, or NGO.
- Additional training and/or certification in financial management and/or accounting.
- Proven experience in a similar position in EC/UNDP, UN Agencies.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Romanian.
- Knowledge of one or more minority languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Romani, Gagauzian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian and sign language.
Direct supervisor: Programme Manager
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Manager, the incumbent contributes to an effective and efficient implementation of confidence building projects through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Associate applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Project Associate works in close collaboration with the Project team as well as the team in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
- Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.