Position Title: Programme Development & Support Officer
Duty Station: IOM Libya in Tunis, Tunisia
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 06 April 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), direct supervision of Deputy Chief of Mission, and in close coordination with relevant Programme Managers, Resources Management Unit, Regional Thematic Specialists (RTSs) and Headquarters (HQ) the Programme Development & Support Officer will identify IOM relevant project opportunities, develop project proposals, enhance knowledge management and produce project reports for the Country Office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Serve as a focal point in IOM Libya for the design and development of new programmes/projects based on solid results frameworks responding to emerging trends and priorities, in coordination with the Deputy/Chief of Mission, MENA Regional Office, Headquarters, Programme Managers, as well as with Government and donor counterparts and other relevant public/private sector’s partner organizations.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of all projects and programmes implemented by IOM Libya.
- Backstop and coordinate the administrative and financial aspects of new and ongoing projects, including ensuring activation, processing, endorsement, records-keeping, and submissions in line with specific IOM internal requirements and procedures. Liaise between IOM financial officials and Programme Managers to ensure that the latter are observant of IOM and Donors’ financial requirements.
- Analyze and assess data and outcomes on programme implementation and indicators, advise Program Managers, D/CoM, and senior management accordingly, and prepare regular implementation and progress reports for donors, partners and IOM Regional and Headquarters.
- Carry out on fundraising actions by proactively building and maintaining partnerships and liaising with donors, representing IOM at meetings and field visits and responding to queries and requests from donors and other stakeholders.
- Provide advice and guidance on relevant and thematic fundraising strategies, and actively contribute to the Mission’s fundraising efforts by analyzing strategic migration-related initiatives, donor policies and priorities, identifying new funding opportunities, and defining proactive approaches to donor engagement, in coordination with Programme Managers.
- Analyze emerging trends or policy and develop documents on IOM strategic approaches and priorities for internal or external distribution; and provide substantive input into strategic processes for the CO.
- Ensure the integration and coordination of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) frameworks and resources in collaboration with Project Managers; and develop M&E data collection and quality assurance tools.
- Identify, train, and supervise reporting, project development and team members, including from program units where applicable, emphasizing the capacity building and development of new team members and training on internal systems and donor protocols.
- Lead donor visits in coordination with relevant units and undertake regular in-country and field visits in Libya to improve and resolve issues related to the planning, programming, implementation and monitoring of projects.
- Actively liaise and coordinate with United Nations agencies and stakeholders in Libya for the preparation and organization of events or for planning processes.
- When required, deputize for the Senior Programme Development and Donor Relations Officer, and respond to inquiries from Headquarters and the network of IOM regional offices.
- Ensure that accurate and pertinent records of all correspondence, project development and reporting files and administration information are maintained and that the Project Tracking Matrix, SharePoint, and PRIMA files and updated.
- Substantively support policy and liaison functions relating to UN internal planning, programming and frameworks, including the UN Strategic Development Co-operation Framework, Agenda for 2030 processes, UN Network for Migration and any other IOM and UN core Working Groups or frameworks.
- Work to that IOM’s interests in the UN country team are fully recognized, enlarged, and integrated and maintain an effective and close coordination with relevant stakeholders in Libya.
Chief of Mission Support
- Identify areas of projects/programme implementation which require the D/CoM intervention.
- Represent the D/CoM in inter-agency meetings when related to the development and implementation of joint programmes that are Libya based, in coordination with Programme Managers, as well as in any other meetings, as requested.
- Ensure adequate follow-up with relevant staff in support of the D/CoM strategic inputs and key decisions.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, Humanitarian Affairs, Development Studies, Peace and Conflict Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Previous experience working in an international organization and knowledge of the UN is essential;
- Previous experience with and knowledge of foreign government funding mechanisms is essential;
- Previous work in relevant issues such as migration, livelihoods and job creation strategies, displacement, stabilisation in the MENA Region is essential; and,
- Experience in project development, reporting, fundraising and donor relations, project monitoring and evaluation required.
- Good knowledge of programme management cycle;
- Proven ability to supervise, coach, and direct staff and manage operations in transitional contexts;
- Strong project development and report writing skills, including for developing results matrices and log frames, and critical analysis; and,
- Computer skills and knowledge of relational databases, Microsoft applications, spreadsheets, word processing etc. is essential.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of either Arabic, French, and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 24.03.2023 to 06.04.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2023 121 Programme Development & Support Officer (P3) IOM Libya in Tunis, Tunisia (58034552) Released
Posting: Posting NC58034553 (58034553) Released