Job Identification : 8836
Locations : Paramaribo, Suriname
Posting Date : 02/28/2023, 03:44 AM
Apply Before : 03/14/2023, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NOB
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : Governance
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Latin America and the Caribbean
Contract Duration : 2 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience
Required Languages : Excellent command of both written and spoken Dutch and English
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the overall and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, the incumbent will have responsibility for developing and managing a substantive programme portfolio in the area of governance. New initiatives will develop in response to national priorities and to the corporate priorities of UNDP. The incumbent will work in a matrix relationship with other staff members with responsibilities for Poverty and Social Development and Energy & Environmental.
- Implementation of programme strategies
- Management of the CO programme
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analyses the socio-political and governance environment and maintains continuous dialogue with partners to provide development support services, identifying areas for UNDP support. Prepares background papers and reports as required.
- Coordinates the drafting and preparation of the CCA / UNMSDCF/ / CPD and other UNDP policy instruments.
- Providing specific technical inputs for the thematic area of governance.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned.
- CO business processes mapping and preparation of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management.
Ensures effective management of the CO programme within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Undertakes the design and formulation of programme/project proposals in the area of governance, in light of national priorities and UNDP’s strategic areas of focus.
- Leads the delivery and coordination of policy advice and inputs to Government in the field of Governance.
- Updates and implements relevant section of CO Resource Mobilization Strategy; mobilizes resources from Government, donors and other development partners to support programme implementation in the field of Governance.
- Advocates for UNDP’s corporate policies, ensuring visibility for UNDP and acts as resource person on the substantive thematic area of governance at the national level.
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy in cooperation with the Management Support and Business Development Team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Builds and consolidates partnerships through networking and identifies and pursues joint programmes with partners, on behalf of UNDP.
Ensures provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Promotion and facilitation of knowledge sharing and learning within the CO.
LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility :
LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination
LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner
LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
Ability to develop solutions to problems by involving the human perspective in all steps of the problem-solving process
Legal Analysis and Reporting Writing
Ability to apply legal analysis to a diverse range of complex issues, and express themselves clearly; ability to communicate well, to all levels of staff and contractors/consultants, governments et.al.
Ability to identify funding sources, match funding needs (programmes/projects/initiatives) with funding opportunities, and establish a plan to meet funding requirements
Managing client relations
The ability to interact with different levels of management and across different agencies and offices to obtain information, develop legal approaches and resolve issues, this skill includes liaison with counterparts and determining the best sequence in which to pursue an issue, where information, particularly for UNDP, may be across different independent UN agencies.
Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets
2030 Agenda: People
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Public Administration, Law, Political or Social Sciences or related field. A Bachelor’s Degree with 2 additional years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master’s Degree.
- 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments or 4 years of relevant experience with a Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent command of both written and spoken Dutch and English
- Experience working with Government, civil society, international organizations and donors
- Experience with Implementation and monitoring of donor funded development projects is an asset
- Experience in Gender Sensitivity and Mainstreaming in development programme
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
Important applicant information
All posts in the NO categories are subject to local recruitment and only open to nationals from the Country where the position is located.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.