The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace and stability for populations impacted by conflict, disasters and climate change.
WFP’s emergency response in Yemen is the agency’s largest anywhere in the world, and is the largest sustained emergency operation in history, providing lifesaving monthly food assistance to 10.5 million people most in need. WFP also provides nutrition support to 1.7 million children and mothers, and delivers school meals to 850,000 children each day.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Logistics Operation, the incumbent shall work as a Logistics Officer to effectively plan, manage, and coordinate nutrition and School meals operations to efficiently and timely meet all Programme Unit requirements in compliance with WFP rules and regulations. The incumbent is also expected to manage and support nutrition and school meals logistics operational day-to-day activities following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the cost-effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute towards the development of logistics Transport Operations plans and processes ensuring compliance with wider logistics policies and WFP standards.
- Support logistics projects and operational day-to-day activities following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective and cost-efficient delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
- Plan and manage all logistics transport nutrition operations to efficiency and timely meet all Programme Unit requirements and achieve maximized deliveries in accordance with WFP established rules and regulations.
- Identify, manage, resolve complex operational issues and/or provide recommendations on specialized queries/requests for support, using initiative and following standard processes, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of enquiries with excellent client service mind-set.
- Effectively contribute to upstream and downstream pipeline transport operational planning.
- Effectively contribute to managing transporters execution of the transport contract activities including performance monitoring and evaluation, supported by analysis and recommendations.
- Plan, prepare and manage collecting data, conducting complex analysis and produce timely reports (e.g., SITREPs, SOPs, NFRs and analytical reports as required) and ensure information accuracy in corporate systems to enable well informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Coordinate and liaise with internal and external stakeholders to support nutrition transport logistics operations management and strengthen partnerships on humanitarian supply chain.
- Participate in continuous review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase the day-to-day efficiencies.
- Manage a team of staff providing technical advice, coaching, guidance and training, to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines for all assistance modalities.
- Identify and build productive relationships with logistics colleagues and staff within the area of assignment to support an integrated approach to food assistance.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries (i.e. through contribution to the training materials).
- Guide support staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries
- Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices to ensure WFP are able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Perform other tasks as required.
- ↵Successful and timely planned dispatches and deliveries of WFP Food assistance to beneficiaries in liaison with Programme, field offices.
- Ensure that supply chain response is adequate to enable timely response to on-set emergencies and make continuous improvements in supply chain transport efficiency and cost effectiveness for delivery of food requirements.
- Coordinate with shipping colleagues at the port to ensure timely dispatch of nutrition food to timely and efficiently meet dispatches requirements.
- Preparation of timely, concise, and effective analytical supply chain reports (corporate, periodic, and ad hoc) for informed decision making.
- Assure that issues arising on food deliveries are promptly resolved and effectively coordinated.
- Provide necessary operational and technical guidance and support to logistics staff in Country Office, Area Offices and Hubs.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Experience: ✓ 1 or more years of experience for (master’s degree holders) working in supply chain operations experience in the following areas: Planning upstream and downstream pipeline, Transport, Warehousing, Food Commodity Management and Supply Chain Systems.
✓ 3 or more years of experience for (bachelor’s degree holders) working in supply chain operations experience in the following areas: Planning upstream and downstream pipeline, Transport, Warehousing, Food Commodity Management and Supply Chain Systems. ✓ Experience in managing relationships and national capacity building initiatives including coordination with internal and external stakeholders.
Note: (Administrative/Assistant/Secretariat work experience is not considered, except for years holding Associate positions or above (UN equivalent grade G-6 or above), in which case each year is counted at 50%).
- Fluency in English (level C written and spoken).
- Fluency in Arabic (level C written and spoken).
Nationality: Yemeni citizenship.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- WFP staff who are still under probation period are not eligible to apply for another FT position.
- WFP staff on FT contracts must have completed one year in the current position to be eligible to apply for another FT position.
- WFP is an equal opportunity employer.
- WFP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
- The applicant should be a Yemeni national or having work/residency permit.
- Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted
- By submitting your application, you have read the Terms of Reference for this position and agree that any false, wrong or incomplete information might lead to your disqualification in this recruitment process
- Applications must be submitted online with:
- Use English language only.
- Indicate all your job TOR.
- Indicate clear years of experience with each job (month/year)
- (NB: Successful candidates vetted as viable candidates through the application process will be retained on internal roster for a two-year period and may be given further consideration for future similar specific position advertised in the duty station.)
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
8th April 2023
WFP never uses external recruitment agencies and recruitment is always free of charge. All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
لا يستعين برنامج الأغذية العالمي بالمطلق بوكالات أو مكاتب توظيف خارجية، حيث إنّ عملية التوظيف دائماً مجانية. ويتم اتخاذ جميع القرارات الخاصة بعملية التوظيف بناءً على الاحتياجات المؤسسية والمتطلبات الوظيفية والكفاءة والاستحقاق والمؤهلات الفردية. ويلتزم برنامج الأغذية العالمي بتوفير بيئة عمل شاملة للجميع، تخلو من الاستغلال والاعتداء الجنسيين وجميع أشكال التمييز والتعسف في استخدام السلطة وكل أنواع التحرش كالتحرش الجنسي. لهذا كان لزاماً أن يخضع جميع المرشحين للوظائف الذين يقع الاختيار عليهم لعمليات تدقيق صارمة بهدف مراجعة خبراتهم وخلفياتهم.
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.