WFP encourages female candidates and people with disabilities to apply.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis. We are committed to promoting diversity and the principle of equal employment opportunity for all our employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of religion or belief, ethnic or social background, gender, gender identity and disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
JOB RELATED KEY INFORMATION
Job Title: Driver
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Duration: 1 Year
Duty Station: Khujand, Tajikistan
Vacancy Number: 680023
Date of Publication: 27 March 2023
Deadline of Application: 9 April 2023
BACKGROUND & PURPOSE
Provide efficient and safe transportation of authorized personnel and/or commodities. The job may also involve basic administrative assistance in the office or stores. The job holder will report to the Administration Associate.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide transportation of authorized personnel including translation of basic conversations from/to the local language, and/or delivery of various items/commodities following authorized routing and UN safety and security rules and regulations to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with visa and customs formalities to facilitate smooth and safe entry and arrival to the authorized destinations. In case of flight delays, cancellation, or no show up of the personnel immediately inform the office.
- Responsible for accurate maintenance of the vehicle log books, perform daily / weekly vehicle check-ups, and daily / monthly reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status, mileage traveled, and fuel consumed for the assigned vehicle, to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency. Produce monthly records of mileage traveled and fuel consumed for the assigned vehicle.
- Responsible that the assigned vehicle is kept clean and in a good condition including all equipment, the maintenance is done on time, the vehicle is fully equipped with required travel authorizations and supplies, and any mechanical issues are reported to the supervisor to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Follow established rules and regulations for field deliveries and/or in cases of an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor on any apparent problems, to seek for instructions and facilitate informative decisions on the way forward.
- Outside driving duties, perform basic office-related tasks such as filing, photocopying, and maintaining stores when required including delivery/collection of various items, mailing service, and payment of office telephone and other bills to ensure administrative support to clients.
- Perform other related duties as required
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Completion of secondary school education. Formal driver training with a valid driver’s license/certification to operate an assigned vehicle following local rules and regulations.
Two or more years of work experience as a Driver, preferably in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a demonstrated safe driving record. Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans, trucks and other kinds of motorized vehicles. Experience in defensive driving is desirable.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, local roads and conditions, and security issues. Knowledge of vehicle loading capacity and other parameters; Knowledge of driving operating rules and regulations, whichever is applicable; Knowledge of safety standards and safety equipment (eg, fire extinguishers, and etc.); Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals; Basic skills to assist in case of emergency, knowledge of first aid basic methods; Knowledge and ability to use radio, email, telephone and other applications: Ability to access vehicles for mechanical fitness and skill in minor vehicle repairs; Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, higher sense of responsibility, courtesy and tact.
Fluency in Tajik and Russian. Knowledge of English is an asset.
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
Request for Disability related Reasonable Accommodations:
It is important to WFP to create an accessible and inclusive workplace for everyone. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the selection and hiring process, please direct your request and inquiries to the Diversity and Inclusion team on: firstname.lastname@example.org, cc’ing email@example.com. A member of the reasonable accommodation team will contact you to confidentially discuss your needs.
This email is only to be used for any disability related accessibility requirements, and not for sending the application itself. Due to volume of applications, any applications or CVs sent through this email address will not be considered as a formal application and will not receive a reply from WFP.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment.