Position Title: Information Management Officer
Duty Station: Washington DC, United States of America
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 11 January 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The United States Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) operates world-wide, providing resettlement opportunities for tens of thousands of refugees each year. IOM’s multi-disciplinary team of hundreds of staff across the globe, provide a range of services and support to the USRAP including, but not limited to, case processing, migration health assessments, cultural and pre-departure orientation, organized ground/air transportation, transit/arrival assistance and administration of a travel loan and collections program for refugees. IOM USRAP global operations are managed centrally from the IOM USRAP office in Washington DC.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Resources Management Officer with a secondary reporting line to the USRAP Change Management Advisor, and in close coordination with the
USRAP Data Integrity and Reports Officer, the Information Management Officer will be responsible for coordinating, developing, and implementing Information Management related activities in the U.S. Specifically, the candidate is expected to undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement technical aspects of information management and data analysis solutions for the workflow and documentation management of the administrative and operational processes of the USRAP.
- Identify and obtain information and data elements needed to produce standardized products and services, create data collection plans to regularize collection and production as necessary, and support the analysis of data through visualizations and data services.
- Provide advisory services to USRAP management on information management and record-keeping policies and practices including: needs and business process analysis; search, accessibility, and security classification; records preservation and disposition; and information management policies and procedures, with an emphasis on technological applications. Factor in environmental standards in relation to USRAP record keeping. Collaborate with the Change Management Advisor and support the implementation of innovative, technological solutions on behalf of the USRAP.
- Collaborate with the USRAP Oversight Officer on the development and enhancement of integrated methodologies for data collection and information packaging.
- Lead information management improvement projects with relevant ICT units, contributing to feasibility studies, systems analysis, design, development, and implementation, and in the evaluation and testing of information application improvements and new systems.
- Develop detailed system and other functional specifications and standards from the data management perspective and user documentation for new systems.
- Deliver guidance to USRAP management on effective use of designated information systems, including offline and online platforms, application tools, and other systems to ensure the implementation of information management mechanisms.
- Maintain communications with relevant IOM ICT information management networks and focal points to facilitate the exchange of information and the promotion of data and information standards and common platforms.
- Ensure that the implementation of the information management systems and application adhere to IOM Data Protection Policy and Information, Communications and Technology Policy and Standards, including on system and data security.
- Oversee and manage USRAP US ICT staff delivering technical support.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information or Social Science, Information Management/Data Analysis, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Progressively responsible experience in information management, information systems, data management, or other related area is required.
- Experience in using data to inform decisions, strategies, and execution.
- Experience with self-service analytics and data visualization applications (MS PowerBI, Tableau, or similar).
- Experience in the use of industry-standard software, including SQL, software code vulnerability scanners, software for version control management.
- Experience in project management and implementation, including a good understanding of results-based management and M&E principles.
- Relevant experience within the UN system or an international organization is desirable.
- Ability to formulate Information Management related technical requirements and Operating Procedures.
- Practical experience compiling and holistically analyzing diverse datasets.
- Proven ability to produce technical briefs for internal and external audiences.
- Advanced data visualization and information design skills.
- Working knowledge of SharePoint and Power Platform.
- Full-stack developer with advanced SQL knowledge a plus.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 11 January 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 457 Information Management Officer (P3) Washington DC, United States of
America (57890048) Released
Posting: Posting NC57890049 (57890049) Released