Job Identification : 8597
Locations : Al-Turbah, Yemen
Posting Date : 02/20/2023, 06:57 AM
Apply Before : 03/07/2023, 04:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNOCHA
Grade : NOA
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : UN Coordination
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Arab States
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree
Required Languages : Fluency in English and Arabic Languages (Oral and Written) is required.
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
This position is open to Yemen Nationals ONLY
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Yemen facilitates humanitarian action across the county. OCHA mobilizes and coordinates principled humanitarian response in partnership with national and international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies, advocates the rights of people in need, supports emergency preparedness and response and facilitates sustainable solutions for vulnerable people adversely affected by conflict and natural disaster. OCHA supports the work of the Humanitarian Country Team (HCT), the Inter-Cluster Coordination Mechanism (ICCM), the host government authorities and all humanitarian partners including UN, INGOs and NNGOs in Yemen.
The national Humanitarian Affairs Officer (NOA) will be based in Al Turbah with frequent field mission to Ta’iz city and other areas of concern. S/he will be a member of the OCHA Aden Sub-Office with a key role in supporting coordination activities in the Al Turbah sub-hub, including managing information, coordinating partners and negotiating humanitarian access. Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Aden Field, Coordination and Planning Unit in Aden, and supported by the OCHA Yemen Deputy Head of Office / Head of the Aden Hub, the Humanitarian Affairs Officer will work as an integral part of the organization’s team. The incumbent will ensure maximum professionalism and add capacity in supporting the implementation of OCHA Yemen work plan.OCHA Yemen strives to foster a diverse and inclusive work environment. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.”
The national Humanitarian Affairs Officer (NOA) will be based in Al Turbah with frequent field mission to his/her area of concern. S/he will be a member of the OCHA Aden Sub-Office with a key role in supporting coordination Humanitarian Affairs Officer will work as an integral part of the organization’s team. The incumbent will ensure maximum professionalism and add capacity in supporting the implementation of OCHA Yemen work plan.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The national Humanitarian Affairs Officer (NOA) will be based in Al Turbah with frequent field mission to his/her area of concern. S/he will be a member of the OCHA Aden Sub-Office with a key role in supporting coordination Humanitarian Affairs Officer will work as an integral part of the organization’s team. The incumbent will ensure maximum professionalism and add capacity in supporting the implementation of OCHA Yemen work plan
Under the supervision of the Head of Unit, the incumbent performs the following:
- Supporting the coordination forums of Al Turbah/Ta’iz RCT, and Aden based ICWG and AHCT with required humanitarian developments
- Monitor, analyze and report on humanitarian developments in the hub area of coverage, in support to Regional Coordination Team (RCT) in Al Turbah, the Inter-Cluster Working Group (ICWG) and Area Humanitarian Coordination Team (AHCT) in Aden. Lead and provide secretariat duties to the Regional Coordination Team (RCT) in Al Turbah
- Ensure the development of humanitarian coordination with relevant partners to improving humanitarian and emergency reliefrelated matters and ensure accurate information collection and sharing in support of humanitarian analysis and response through liaison with authorities and partners
- Liaise with national/local authorities and humanitarian partners within the sub hub to triangulate humanitarian information and effectively identify and map humanitarian needs and response activities. Organize and participate in relevant work groups, meetings, conferences, trainings, consultations with other agencies and partners at the hub level and support outreach to international and national NGOs
- Planning and organizing for potential humanitarian emergencies
- Track information required for early warning of potential humanitarian emergencies and as appropriate promote preparedness measures, including inter-agency contingency planning. Prepare briefing materials and presentations providing up-to-date analysis on trends and developments on the humanitarian situation in the country or in specific governorates
- Ensure proper humanitarian assessment, monitoring, and reporting and support humanitarian access among humanitarian relevant fora.
- Support the Yemen Humanitarian Pooled Fund through preparing and carrying out monitoring visits and supporting the development of hub level strategy and priorities with the ICWG and AHCT
- As appropriate, help organize and/or participate in coordinated assessment missions to build consensus on humanitarian needs and priorities
- Develop humanitarian stories and content for the OCHA monthly humanitarian bulletin and other communications and reporting products
- Review and provide advice on policy issues related to safeguarding humanitarian principles and ensuring the effective delivery of principled and all-inclusive humanitarian assistance
- Lead and organize inter-cluster and inter-agency missions to the field where necessary based on the needs on the ground
- Support an agreed understanding and approach on access among humanitarian partners, RCTs, ICWGs, cluster coordination mechanisms, and other relevant standing or specific access for a
- To carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities within the overall function, commensurate with the grading and level of responsibilities of the post.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion-LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront Discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Digital and Innovation-Data analysis
- Ability to extract, analyze and visualize data (including Real-Time Data) to form meaningful insights and aid effective decision making
Communication-Advocacy strategy and implementation
- Ability to create and implement advocacy strategies which lead to impactful change.
Ethics-Ethics Advice & Guidance
- Ability to quickly analyses complex fact patterns and provide comprehensive, sensitive, and confidential ethics advice and guidance.
Business Development-Knowledge Generation
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
Business Management-Partnerships Management
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
Business Management-Change Management
- Ability to prepare, support, and help individuals and teams in designing and implementing organizational change
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Master’s Degree preferably in Political or Social Science, Law, International studies, Business Management, Management, Science, or any other relevant area is required.
- A first-level university degree in the field of humanitarian affairs or any other related field, in combination with 2 years of relevant and qualifying experience will be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- Minimum of two years (with Bachelor’s) of relevant progressively professional responsible experience in humanitarian or international affairs, project, programme or grant management, field operations or any other related areas is required, preferably (but not exclusively) with a UN organization, NGO or civil society organization.
- Familiarity of existing coordination structures among the different humanitarian actors including RCT and ICWG is highly desirable
- Familiarity and good knowledge of social, political, humanitarian, security and economic conditions in the region is highly desirable
- Experience conducting humanitarian needs assessments and familiarity with Rapid Needs Assessments and IST tools are desirable
- Experience of working with the humanitarian cluster system, and facilitating coordination meetings are highly desirable
- Knowledge of international humanitarian rights, norms, law and practice
- Experience in use of virtual platform – Zoom, WebEx, and Teams, data collection, compilation, analysis and reporting is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Arabic Languages (Oral and Written) is required.
Important Note: Candidates found suitable and not selected for the announced duty station, may be selected for other similar positions at the same level grade and with similar job descriptions, experience, and educational requirements in any of the following duty stations: Sana’a, Aden, Hodeida, Ibb, Saada, Marib, Mukalla Hajjah, Al Jowf, Al Baida, Al Turbah and Mukha
Applicant information about UNOCHA rosters
Note: UNOCHA reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNOCHA at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fees in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.