Position Title: Senior Protocol Assistant
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G6
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 30 March 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The Governing Bodies Secretariat (GBS) bears principal responsibility for the preparation and coordination of IOM’s annual governing body meetings, including sessions of the Council, Standing Committee on Programmes and Finance, International Dialogue on Migration and related informal consultations.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of GBS and direct supervision of the Migration Policy Officer, the Protocol Assistant will work in cooperation with permanent missions and IOM Headquarters and perform the following duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide protocol services, advice and coverage to meetings and events involving the Governing Bodies Secretariat.
- Support liaison activities and efforts with Member States by arranging logistical preparations for visits of high-level government officials to IOM Headquarts in coordination with the Special Advisors and relevant members of the Executive Office.
- Provide administrative support to the Governing Bodies Secretariat and other staff members by arranging the participation of senior government officials in IOM Governing Body meetings.
- Maintain information on the composition of Governments of Member States and intergovernmental organizations to be invited to the meetings of the Governing Bodies.
- Ensure the maintenance of a proper documentation and filing systems of different meetings of the Governing Bodies as well as databases.
- Provide administrative and liaison support in the preparation of the different Governing Bodies meetings and events.
- Ensure the required administrative support is provided to all the activities involving Governing Bodies’ meetings, including institutional communications with Member States and GBS vendors, administrative requests and processing payments for vendors associated to the GBD activities.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Economics, International Relations, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Law, Development Studies, International Affairs or a related field with four years of relevant experience; or
- Completed High school / Secondary school education with six years of relevant experience.
- At least four years (six years for completed high school/secondary school education) of experience on administrative procedures and practices of international organization such as the United Nations;
- Practical experience of how-to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
- Good writing and communication skills;
- Knowledge of protocol in a governmental or international organization including experience of working with the Host Government;
- Knowledge of accepted norms, rules and customs of international diplomatic protocol, including practices developed within the United Nations System or similar international organization;
- Familiarity with ‘United Nations Flag Code and Regulations’, ‘United Nations Order of Precedence’ and ‘General Information for the Permanent Missions to the United Nations’;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to apply various administrative rules and regulations in work situations;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
- Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; and,
- Computer literacy, specifically Word, Power Point, Excel, and database tools.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and working knowledge of French or Spanish is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internal candidates of the Organization will be considered as first-tier candidates.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only qualified Swiss nationals or candidates residing in Switzerland or neighbouring France will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 30 March 2023.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 17.03.2023 to 30.03.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2023 06 (GS) Senior Protocol Assistant (G6) Geneva, Switzerland (58023772) Released
Posting: Posting NC58023773 (58023773) Released