Link to original job advertisement
Under the direct supervision of the Migrant Protection and Assistance Officer as Head of Unit, the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission for IOM Belgium and Luxembourg, and in coordination with the relevant units at Headquarters, Regional Office and the Administrative Centres, the successful candidate will support the coordination of the day-to-day activities of the Migrant Protection and Assistance team, including identification and development of new areas of intervention to enhance the Country Office’s assistance of vulnerable migrants.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assist the Head of Unit (HoU) in managing and coordinating the project portfolio of the Migrant Protection and Assistance (MPA) Unit;
- Analyse migration trends and upcoming issues of relevance, donor priorities and funding opportunities, and contribute to the conceptualization of IOM’s programmes aligned with the strategic objectives of the Country Office;
- Coordinate the drafting of project proposals and concept notes in coordination with the HoU and in line with IOM’s policies, procedures, and systems, including Project Information and Management Application (PRIMA), and assist the HoU in resource mobilization efforts;
- In close collaboration with the HoU, Resource Management Officer (RMO) and project staff, facilitate compliance with IOM monitoring requirements, including M&E tools, for gathering and utilizing quality data in reporting on performance and results of programme/projects;
- Based on feedback received from migrants served as well as from the M&E exercises conducted, make recommendations to the Head of Unit on possible operational and strategic enhancements that could strengthen IOM’s support to migrants and partners;
- Develop information management and visibility updates for the different programmes targeting internal audience, donors, and external stakeholders;
- Develop, update, and maintain procedures and processes at unit level, developing internal context specific Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) that are aligned with global standards and internal IOM policies and procedures;
- Undertake duty travels and participate in meetings and/or events in support of project deliverables, enhancing stakeholder management;
- Support and provide advice to the Head of Unit in developing operational partnerships with relevant governmental, civil society and donor partners in coordination with relevant teams;
- Serve as Officer in Charge for the Migrant Protection and Assistance Unit in the absence of the Head of Unit;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Relations, Law, Social, Political or Economic Sciences, Social Work, Migration or Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, law, social, political or economic sciences with four years of relevant professional experience.
Experience and skills
- Experience in the coordination of a protection, operations, and/or migrant assistance portfolio for an international organization;
- Experience in maintaining strong partnerships with government institutions, civil society, and donors;
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and data analysis;
- Specific training in project development and/or project cycle management an asset;
- Knowledge of IOM’s financial rules and regulations is an asset;
- Specific training in protection of vulnerable migrants an asset;
- Strong drafting, writing, and reporting skills.
Fluency in English, French and Dutch is required.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to IOMBrusselsApplications@iom.int by 22 February 2023 at 23:59 (CET – Brussels time), referring to this advertisement in the subject line (SVN 2023-05 Senior MPA Specialist G7), including
- Cover Letter
- Questionnaire on Mandatory Requirements (page 5)
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed.
IOM reserves the right to contact shortlisted candidates only.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable. As part of the mandatory medical entry on duty clearance, candidates will be requested to provide evidence of vaccination against COVID-19.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.