Under the overall supervision of the Head of Resources Management and under the direct supervision of the Information Technology Officer, the Senior ICT Assistant will provide overall assistance and daily technical support to users of information management tools and technology infrastructure of the mission. The incumbent will also be responsible for managing the ICT Systems and Network Infrastructure of the Nairobi Support office in close coordination with ICT in Somalia and Global Support Unit together and be competent in the technical aspect of network infrastructure, troubleshooting, and user orientation.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Supervise ICT Assistants in Somalia Sub-Offices.
- Assist in the installation, configuration, implementation, and monitor network connectivity (LAN/WAN/Wireless Access Points/VPN/servers) ensuring uninterrupted service of mission-critical systems.
- Participate and deploy, if necessary, in the planning and development of IT networks and system infrastructure including telecoms. Identify and proactively recommend required upgrades and modifications ensuring consistent service availability.
- Manage and administer the ICT Support Ticketing System and ensure that all helpdesk queries are answered appropriately via email, telephone call, or in person. Install systems, network components, and software; suggest the best technical solutions in order to achieve required standards while taking into consideration local technical constraints.
- Manage problem-solving, support, and assistance for use of office technology (including but not limited to Microsoft Windows 10, Office 365, and Adobe Acrobat).
- Supply and install all IT equipment and update all programs about new changes in IT System and coordinate equipment servicing.
- Ensure the maintenance sent to the sub-offices is registered in IT Inventory and all standard software is installed.
- Liaise with service providers for the provision of adequate IT services and equipment in coordination with the Procurement & Logistic Unit and ensure all computer purchases are within the ICT standards.
- Manage the maintenance of hardware & software inventory and inform all programs about the number of software requires for their sections.
- Inform users regularly of facilities and services available and advise staff of environmental changes.
- Implement IOM ICT standards and IOM IT Policies and Guidelines in particular to network and systems, IT procurement, and information security.
- Maintain the regular daily data protection system (backup), put and remote tapes, check the status of the backup and report to the specialist if there is any problem.
- Develop and Implement, when necessary, ICT training for IT assistants and end-users to ensure productive use of existing and new systems.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science or a combination of relevant education from an accredited academic institution with minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience, or
- High School Degree/Certificate from an accredited academic institution with minimum 6 years of relevant professional experience in the above field.
- A minimum of four years of experience in LAN/WAN networking environment.
- Experience in working knowledge of at least: Windows Server 2008 or higher in a multi-site environment. Microsoft Exchange Online, TCP/IP Protocol, Cisco Router Configuration. Windows 10 administration.
- Experience with HP/Compaq, IBM, Cisco, and Siemon equipment. Ability to design and configure networks.
- Experience in working in an international organization.
- In-depth knowledge of networking equipment specifically Cisco Equipment (preferably CCNA)
- In-depth knowledge of Windows Infrastructure and Active Directory
- Knowledge of cloud services
- Knowledge of ICT support using the ticketing system
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili both written and spoken is required. Somali is desirable.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (VN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee).
From 31.01.2023 to 13.02.2023
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.