Position Title: Regional Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning Officer
Duty Station: Panama City, Panama
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment: Special short-term ungraded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 23 January 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Operations and the direct supervision of the
Programme Support Officer, the Regional Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer will coordinate and supervise monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning (MEAL) aspects of IOM activities under the regional response to the Venezuela situation, as well as provide technical support for project development, reporting and knowledge management.
IOM is the co-lead of the inter-agency coordination platform in response to the flows of
Venezuelans and is also implementing a cross-regional response across 17 countries in South America, Central America, and the Caribbean. The response is designed to support Venezuelan migrants and refugees along their routes and in their host countries. The Office of the Special Envoy (OSE) in Panama was established to lead the overall coordination of the response, as well to support IOM Missions in various core areas of work, such as resource mobilization, project and financial oversight, information management, and monitoring and evaluation.
They will be expected to contribute to the development and implementation of the Special Envoy’s office overall MEAL strategy and to knowledge management efforts in the context of the Venezuela Regional Response.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the implementation of MEAL activities of the regional Venezuela response in the region and provide technical support to country offices on project monitoring and evaluation, data collection, analysis, knowledge management and reporting.
- Contribute to the development of MEAL, Information Management (IM) and Knowledge Management tools, in close coordination with the Programme Support Officer, the IM Officer and the MEAL Officers in both Regional Offices and the country missions, to facilitate improved information sharing. This will include regular monitoring check-ins with country offices on work plan and programme progress, risks, and potential site visits.
- In close coordination with the IM Officer, supervise the use of the Venezuela RegionalResponse Monitoring system, including technical aspects, coordination with LogAlto focal points, and support/training for Mission/Regional staff members.
- Support the Programme Support Officer in coordinating and monitoring the implementation of the main activities foreseen by the different projects. This will include supporting the coordinators in reporting, liaison activities and in building synergies with other initiatives.
- In close coordination with the IM Officer, contribute to the development and implementation of a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning strategy that meets the mandatory requirements on Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and IM as set out by both IOM and donors.
- Keep abreast of internal framework for Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning(MEAL) and Results Based Management (RBM) developments to facilitate compliance with processes and strategies such as the Country and Regional strategies, IOM Institutional Questionnaire (IQ), IOM global M&E strategy, Strategic Results Framework (following IOM Global Vision), regional M&E planning tools and PRIMA-for-all standards.
- In close coordination with the Programme Managers in the OSE and the IOM Regional Offices in Buenos Aires and San Jose, check that data collection, analysis (qualitative and quantitative) and beneficiary counting of Venezuelan refugees/migrants and Host Communities is accurate and make recommendations to Senior Management regarding potential improvements.
- Maintain oversight over project deadlines, consolidate data and monitor country-level logical frameworks in accordance with IOM Rules and Regulations and donor requirements.
- Provide technical support for the design and promotion of strong feedback loops that enable iterative program design, planning, and management.
- In line with donor agreements and project M&E plans and in close coordination with country offices, provide the necessary technical, administrative, and logistical support for the successful implementation of project baseline assessments, and mid-term and final evaluations, including the development of evaluation Terms of Reference (ToRs), the identification of the evaluator as well as the coordination of evaluation processes. Upon approval, disseminate findings, conclusions, and recommendations from evaluation activities.
- Develop and update monitoring dashboards on results, activities, risks, and budgetary performance of the Venezuela response project portfolio, and participate in field monitoring visits, as required.
- Generate specific information products for the Venezuela Regional Response, to be utilized in donor/stakeholder briefings, project proposals, and contractual and/or ad-hoc reports. These products include infographics, dashboards, etc.
- Contribute to the design and organization of regular training sessions to project staff in the region to help:
- Promote adherence to agreed standards of implementation;
- Create greater awareness of reporting requirements;
- Encourage widespread use of appropriate data collection methods;
- Gather feedback regarding the effectiveness of these methods.
- Support the Programme Support Officer in drafting and reviewing periodic regional and national reports prepared by IOM missions and draft progress and other reports in close coordination with the Project Development and Reporting Officers to facilitate proper information exchange on all operational aspects.
- Support project development by gathering, compiling, and analysing information, conducting research, and drafting segments of concept notes and other proposals related to the Venezuela regional response.
- Provide technical and administrative support for regional Venezuela-focused Peer-to-Peer(P2P) initiatives and other P2P efforts, in close coordination with IOM regional offices in San Jose, Buenos Aires, and country offices.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Social Research Methods, Statistics/Information Management Systems, International Relations, Political or Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience setting up monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning systems for large-scale projects.
- Experience coordinating information and knowledge management systems for M&E.
- Experience conducting trainings or developing capacity building activities to support country office teams.
- Experience in results-based management and other strategic planning approaches; MEAL methods and approaches (including quantitative, qualitative, and participatory); implementation of M&E systems and plans; information analysis and report writing.
- Experience in data management, analysis, and reporting in a humanitarian or development context.
- Expert knowledge of MS office.
- Excellent writing skills, particularly in English as this is the primary donor language.
- Advanced data science and/or statistical skills including knowledge of database management, statistical and project management software a strong advantage.
- Skills in data visualization an advantage.
- Knowledge and understanding of migration issues in the region is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English and Spanish is required (oral and written). Working knowledge in Portuguese is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 January 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CFA 2023 02 Regional Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning Officer (UG)
Panama City, Panama (57921518) Released
Posting: Posting NC57921519 (57921519) Released