VN 2023 012
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Job classification : General Staff
Grade : G-4
Duty station : IOM Philippines
Location : Legazpi City
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Closing date : 02 May 2023
Duration of Assignment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Salary : PHP 540,912.00 per annum net of taxes
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the general supervision of the Head of Legazpi Sub-Office and the direct supervision of the Sr. Project Assistant under the Migration Management Unit, the Project Assistant will assist in the field implementation of counter-trafficking, labour and human rights and safe migration activities in line with IOM policies, standards and commitments on protection mainstreaming and prevention of exploitation and abuse. The successful candidate will also closely coordinate with Migration Management team at the national level for technical support. Further, the successful candidate will provide support to overall administrative and logistical support to the unit.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Provide operational support in implementing counter-trafficking, labour and human rights, safe migration and climate change adaptation initiatives, including, but not limited to, organizing and conducting training workshops, awareness-raising sessions, community engagement activities and livelihood support activities.
- Liaise periodically with local partners and relevant stakeholders, at the regional, provincial and municipal government levels including the local social welfare offices and the local councils against trafficking, violence against women and children (LCAT-VAWCs) and any other relevant working groups, aiming at coordinating and promoting counter-trafficking and safe migration, as well as climate adaptation initiatives.
- Contribute to the team’s periodic as well as ad hoc meetings for the project and relevant counterpart mechanisms, both at Bicol region and national level.
- Draft regular updates, activity reports, project summaries, and other relevant info materials and statistics, and ensure timely and quality submission according to the specific projects’ needs.
- Coordinate with government and non-government partners for referral cases as needed, in coordination with the IOM Philippines Protection team.
- Ensure full adherence to the Protection Principles, especially the principles of Do no Harm and Confidentiality, to ensure integrity of work.
- Undertake duty travel to support the team and other colleagues, as required.
- Perform other administrative and logistical support for Migration Management Unit, as required.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
- Completed high school degree from an accredited academic institution, with four (4) years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in social work, international or behavioural studies, or any related field from an accredited academic institution, with two (2) years of relevant professional experience; or,
- Trained on counter-trafficking, protection mainstreaming, community development, a distinct advantage.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database ( https://whed.net/home.php ).
- Field experience in operational role, local implementation and capacitybuilding on counter-trafficking or community development;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and coordinate multiple activities and to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Proven record of good professional relationships with local governmental authorities, and civil society actors including service providers;
- People-oriented skills is a must.
- Excellent coordination and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to details, sense of responsibility, and teamwork.
- Very Good facilitation and community organizing skills.
Fluency in English and Filipino is required (oral and written).
Working knowledge of a major Filipino dialect (e.g. Bicol)
Inclusion & respect for diversity
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity & transparency
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Managing and sharing knowledge
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a “hands-on” approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include the following:
- Cover letter (not more than one page)
- A résumé highlighting the required education and experience.
- Duly completed IOM Personal History Form To access the form, please visit this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 02 May 2023. Position title and VN Number (VN 2023 012 – Project Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.