Description of assignment title: Project Assistant
Assignment country: Türkiye
Expected start date: 09/25/2023
Sustainable Development Goal: 5. Gender equality
Volunteer category: National UN Volunteer Specialist
Host entity: UNDP
Duration: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
Number of assignments: 1
Duty stations: Istanbul
Mission and objectives
As the United Nations lead agency on international development, UNDP works in 170 countries and territories to eradicate poverty and reduce inequality. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities, and to build resilience to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. Our work is concentrated in three focus areas; sustainable development, democratic governance and peace building, and climate and disaster resilience.
This UNV assignment is part of UNDPs flagship initiatives and will facilitate the delivery of the activities for the Equanomics and Powering Equality Initiatives, in the framework of the Gender Equality Global Programme 2023-2025. UNDP’s Funding Windows are a multi-donor, flexible funding mechanism that provide a strategic opportunity for partners to contribute to achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Funding Window (GEWE FW), one of four strategic investment windows, elevates the status of women and girls, breaking down the barriers to opportunity and equality. Thanks to support from GEWE FW partners, in particular the Rebublic of Korea and Luxembourg Equanomics supports Ministries of Finance and Tax Offices to conduct tax and fiscal reforms for gender equality, as well as conduct capacity building and institutional reforms using UNDP´s Gender Equality Seal for Public Institutions. Eight countries – Rwanda, Nigeria, Ghana, Mongolia, Philippines, Bangladesh, Kyrgyzstan, Costa Rica – were selected through a competitive process and kicked off implementation in June 2023. Activities run to May 2024. Powering Equality injects dedicated gender equality resources and technical support to enhance, leverage and influence UNDP’s major energy moonshot programming across Africa, boosting women’s economic empowerment, gender-responsive governance, and energy policy frameworks that accelerate gender equality. Four countries – Ethiopia, Eswatini, Madagascar, and Malawi – were selected to comprise a pilot cohort, uniquely working together as a dedicated Gender & Energy Learning Lab to co-create knowledge and cutting-edge products. Activities kicked off in June 2023 and run to May 2024.
Under the direct supervision of Funding windows project coordinator, the UN Volunteer will: 1.Contribute to the effective implementation of projects in the Equanomics and Powering Equality Energy portfolios:
- Contribute to the timely implementation of the activities in line with the UNDP Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP). 2.Support in financial monitoring and administrative activities:
- Process and/or review the following financial transactions in the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System/Quantum for the related activities managed by HQ, RHs or COs in the areas of:
- Project management (prepare and/or review budget revisions and procurement plan entries);
- Requisitions (prepare and/or review documentation for requisitions ensuring they match the approved budget);
- Customer/Supplier info updates;
- and Travel (prepare Travel requests, travel claims and expense reports).
- Prepare periodic and ad-hoc financial reports on the related activities managed by HQ, RH and COs, checking and highlighting differences (if any) with the approved budgets per activity.
- Monitors expenditures and commitments against project budgets and relevant plans and provides finance-related data to support project implementation and planning.
- Draft correspondence concerning finance, operations, and budgetary issues, as required. 3.Support in procurement and operational activities:
- Provides support in the preparation of procurement plans.
- Organize procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs and preparation of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP), as required.
- Coordination with UNDP’s General Services Unit regarding the preparation of Purchase orders and Contracts for Services.
- Support making payments to consultants and contractors.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing regarding financial, procurement, and/or administrative issues among key stakeholders of the initiatives, as requested. 4.Continuous Business Process Quality Assurance in accordance with UNDP Rules and Regulation:
- Facilitates business processes in line with the UNDP Rules and Regulations, applicable procedures and policies, and the UNDP Internal Control Framework.
- Monitors and updates the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System/Quantum Project repositories as well as Project Monitoring Platform and Project Risk and Issues logs ensuring that they are regularly updated with project indicators, targets, and progress/results.
- Provides support in ensuring that the procurement and recruitment activities are implemented in due course and as per Procurement Plan, Recruitment Plan, and in accordance with UNDP Rules and Procedures.
Age: 27 – 80
Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
5 years of experience in administrative or project experience at the national and/or international level is required; and experience working in the UN or other international development organization;
- Experience using an ERP system is required, with specific experience using Quantum as a plus.
- Other desired/mandatory required technical knowledge:
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of country officers and partners;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet;
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheets and database packages and data management;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in sustainable development, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Ability to identify discrimination, address it, and maintain an enabling working environment based on fairness, respect and freedom from any forms of harassment and abuse.
Area(s) of expertise
Administration, Development programmes, Information technology
English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Bachelor degree or equivalent in Project Management, Business Administration, Finance and other related fields
Competencies and values
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Judgement and decision-making
- Planning and organising
Living conditions and remarks
The UN Volunteer will be responsible for arranging her/his own housing and other living essentials. Please see the summary of UN Volunteer entitlements below. For further information, kindly review “UN Volunteers Unified Conditions of Service” document.
- Current Volunteer Living Allowance (VLA) in Türkiye is approx 1173 USD (paid in TRY based on the monthly UNORE rate).
- 100% health, life and dismemberment coverage by CIGNA. As per UN’s diplomatic mission status, it is not included in National Security Institution’s (SGK) system but can be initiated on private basis.
- Entitlement to annual Leave at the rate of 2.5 working days per completed month of volunteer assignment
- Entry allowance for covering relocation expenses
- Exit allowance upon completion of service Several learning opportunities Unified Conditions of Service is available on UNV’s website.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics. As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.