Position Title : Project Assistant
Duty Station : IOM Philippines Country Office (Cotabato City)
Classification : General Service Staff, G-5
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, three months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 25 December 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the over-all supervision of the Head of Sub-Office and with direct supervision of the National Project Officer, the Project Assistant will be accountable and responsible in providing technical and administrative support for the implementation of Strengthening Resiliency Against Climate Related Security Risks in Conflict Prone Communities in Mindanao and other related programming on migration management.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in the implementation and monitoring of project activities.
- Retrieve, compile, summarize, analyse, and present information/data on specific project topics.
- Support the programme team on the monitoring of budget; verify availability of funds; obtain necessary approval and update budget related information.
- Maintain administrative coordination of project implementation, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units and external parties to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, etc., in coordination with program unit heads.
- Draft status reports, identifying challenges in project implementation, bring them to the attention of the supervisor and suggest remedial actions.
- Draft correspondence, reports, briefing notes, graphics, statistical tables, presentation, and other forms of documentation.
- Respond to complex information requests and inquiries; set up and maintain files/records; organize meetings, workshops and training sessions;
- Participate in meetings and conferences; assist in coordinating implementation activities with local authorities, partners, United Nation agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, donors, and other stakeholders relevant to the project.
- Assist in providing technical and operational guidance/coaching to field teams.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, Migration Studies, Human Rights, Law or related fields from an accredited academic institution with three (3) years of relevant professional experience.
- Completed secondary education with five (5) years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national/international institutions, United Nations agencies and non-governmental organizations;
- Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
- Extensive knowledge of Mindanao contexts particular in BARMM including local government planning and processes.
Fluency in English and Filipino (oral and written) is required for this position. Working knowledge of any local language in BARMM is desirable.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
The candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page), a résumé highlighting the required education and experience, and a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email@example.com not later than 25 December 2022. Position title and SVN Number (SVN 2022 034 – Project Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.