INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL VACANCY NOTICE
TYPE OF CONTRACT :
PLACE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Kiffa & Kaédi, Mauritania
1 year (renewable)
WFP promotes gender equality and is committed to achieving parity in its country and regional offices.
The feminine candidacies are deeply encouraged.
The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) is the largest humanitarian agency fighting world hunger.
WFP’s mission is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger by 2030.
Every day, WFP works to ensure that the most vulnerable populations, especially women and children, can have access to the nutritious food they need to lead productive and healthy lives.
Do you have experience planning and managing field activities?
Do you have experience in field operations, preferably in a difficult duty station or emergency situation?
Would you like to contribute significantly to achieving the “Zero Hunger” goal?
If yes, then this position is for you. An excellent opportunity to become a full member of a diverse and passionate team, which works on various projects directly contributing to assistance to beneficiaries.
CONTEXT AND OBJECTIVE
The Islamic Republic of Mauritania has made significant progress in development in recent years. Extreme poverty stands at 6.5%, with most of the poor living in rural areas. The country remains highly vulnerable to climate change and environmental degradation, and is threatened by cyclical droughts and their impact on the livelihoods of rural and transhumant populations. The security situation in Mali remains worrying, with a growing number of refugees, endangering social cohesion.
WFP supports the government’s efforts through an assistance strategy aimed at responding to humanitarian needs by satisfying basic food and nutritional needs, strengthening the resilience of communities and supporting sustainable development efforts, particularly through strengthening of an adaptive national social protection system. Under the CSP (Country Strategic Plan), most of WFP’s work consists of strengthening existing government programs. WFP emphasizes the gradual transition from direct implementation to enhanced technical support to the government to achieve national priorities in pursuit of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The incumbent will be the head of the Kiffa or Kaédi sub-office and will be placed under the authority of the representative and Country Director of the World Food Program.
1.Manage the sub-office effectively to ensure effective and efficient staff management and the continued development of a cohesive and high-performing team. This includes overseeing program implementation, administration and finance, TEC, logistics and security;
2.Plan and manage WFP field operations in the area of assignment to ensure effective management of food aid and ensure that day-to-day operational issues are resolved in a timely manner to avoid disruptions. losses or delays. Activities implemented may include school feeding, malnutrition management (treatment and prevention) and asset creation through cash transfers. Depending on the sub-office and the year, humanitarian assistance during the cyclical lean period may also be included.
3. Ensure that allocated resources are used efficiently and in accordance with agreed plans, and that any deviations are reported to the regional/country office. This involves participating in weekly food coordination meetings, bi-weekly budget allocation meetings and monthly resource management meetings. The Sub-Office Head will be responsible for ensuring that funds are spent in accordance with donor agreements and for authorized posts.
4.Assume responsibility for the security of WFP staff, operations, premises and assets in the sub-office to ensure that WFP security and safety standards are established and respected locally. Actively participate and contribute to the Area Security Management Team (ASMT), providing weekly updates to the WFP team in Nouakchott and the UN Resident Coordinator.
5.Liaise with the country office RAM team to undertake monitoring and evaluation of activities in a timely manner and prepare accurate and comprehensive reports on WFP operations and performance, which will be reviewed regularly by the country office to inform effective planning and operational decisions.
6. Contribute to the preparation of reports on programs and activities that enable coherent decision-making based on the information presented to stakeholders. Write briefing notes and develop information sheets as needed;
7. Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to ensure effective collaboration, monitor ongoing projects and highlight potential risks for the completion of the project.
8. Establish effective and collaborative relationships with local authorities and contribute to training and capacity building for effective preparation and response to food assistance needs. This will involve participating in regular coordination meetings.
9. Support the identification, development and management of potential partnerships for collaboration to improve food assistance programs. Develop and maintain liaison with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, civil society, beneficiaries and other partners and media involved in food security.
10. Support capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare and respond to food assistance needs.
11. Ensure presence and frequent monitoring in project areas, sites and distribution centers.
12.Organize donor missions and other field visits for country/regional office colleagues.
13.Contribute to donor reports, project proposals and other communications materials.
14. All other required tasks.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS (details to be determined by position managers):
This section is optional to describe other tasks, skills and knowledge required for your role.
WFP Leadership Framework : Common standards of behavior relevant to your role
Lead by integrated example
Respects WFP values, principles and standards:
Demonstrates and encourages others to
respect the values, principles and
Respect others and value diversity:
Value diversity by using a
respectful and inclusive language, and
encourage others to do
Stay focused and calm in stressful situations:
Stay focused and calm in
stressful contexts, encourage them
others to do the same and offer
advice and support for managing
Demonstrates humility and
demonstrates a will
Demonstrates humility and promotes
learning and sharing
frequent feedback and
taking into account observations,
by seizing the opportunities to
Generates results and delivers on commitments
Provides results for a
impact maximal :
Identifies and aligns objectives with
required results, take responsibility for it
responsibility and/or encourages
culture of accountability among peers and team members to deliver results for maximum impact
Delegates responsibly and
provides appropriate support
enabling its teams to produce
Easily adapts to
Easily accepts change
in different contexts and adapts
Promotes collaborative teamwork and a spirit of inclusion
Is inclusive and collaborative:
Promotes open-mindedness in
teamwork and safety
psychological by encouraging
colleagues to collaborate, to share
their ideas and to freely report problems
constructive at the time
Helps his team members to
improve by communicating
constructive comments to
Built and shared news
Solicit opinions, gain confidence, and listen attentively
various points of view to grasp,
learn, build and share
Apply strategic thinking
Communicate and achieve the vision
Communicates and realizes the vision and
WFP operational results for
provide meaningful solutions
Shows curiosity and explores new ways of doing things:
Demonstrates curiosity, designs and
implements new ways of doing things when relevant
Analyzes and evaluates data:
Collects data and different
points of view, sharing of
knowledge and uses evidence
to inform decision-making
Takes into account the impact of
considering the risks and
implications of actions for
teams, projects and others
Establishes and maintains lasting partnerships
Initiates and builds partnerships
identifying and promoting
opportunities in areas
of common interest and benefits
Collaborates to achieve common goals:
Collaborate with partners to
achieve common goals by sharing information and
working together on
Description of expected behavior for this skill level
Strategy & Planning
Applies in-depth knowledge of key national and international socio-political issues as well as the complexity and range of WFP programs to plan and supervise program implementation in the area of responsibility, ensuring coordination and monitoring in order to ensure efficient response to office needs
Applies understanding of WFP operations in the area of assignment to ensure the optimal deployment of food aid and assistance programs and the resolution of high-impact operational issues that arise.
Demonstrates a thorough understanding of WFP programs, supply chain and budgeting principles.
Proactively establishes WFP’s profile within its area of responsibility, effectively leveraging this profile to drive fundraising initiatives. Uses understanding of WFP structure and delivery model and strong business knowledge to effectively develop, manage and monitor budgets, often with limited funds.
Applies negotiation, networking and diplomacy skills to develop, nurture and maintain mutually beneficial external partnerships with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, civil societies, UN agencies, donors , beneficiaries and other partners/media engaged in the field of food security, in order to improve assistance programs.
Collaborate with governments and other partners to identify opportunities for food assistance programs consistent with WFP’s strategic objectives at the local level, and negotiate the optimal approach for implementing these programs.
Supervise and guide a team of direct and indirect collaborators; supervise all sub-office staff and maintain regular coordination with colleagues in the Mauritania country office.
QUALIFICATION & LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Development of effective work plans to contribute to the achievement of WFP’s strategic objectives in a defined area;
- Experience in field operations, preferably in a difficult or emergency duty station;
- Experience in analyzing local political situations and accurately assessing risks;
- Experience in managing financial budgets;
- Experience leading a small to medium-sized team to ensure effective achievement of objectives;
- Participation in negotiations with suppliers, government or a partner;
- Participation in emergency operations/development program.
- Experience in successfully implementing development programs (e.g. integrated resilience program).
- Experience in security and sub-office management.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Level of education :
Master’s degree in economics, international development, social sciences or other related field, or university degree with additional years of professional experience and/or training/coursework.
A minimum of three (3) years of progressive professional experience, particularly in the field of nutrition, public health management, development projects, emergency assistance and/or operational aspects of national, bilateral or multilateral assistance in the area of food security and nutrition.
Experience working in the humanitarian/development sector, ability to work and meet deadlines.
Proficiency (level C) in French and at least one or more local languages. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language, preferably Arabic and/or English, is strongly desired.