WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Job Title: Partnership Officer
Division: PPF – Private Partnerships and Fundraising Division
Duty Station: Rome, Italy. Remote assignments can be considered.
Type of Contract: Full-time regular Consultant
Duration: 11 months (expected start in September 2022)
Deadline for applications: 27.11.2022.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency working to create a world with Zero Hunger. WFP and its partners believe that no child should go to bed hungry and that individual and collective wellbeing can only be achieved if all children, women and men get the nutritious food they need to lead healthy, dignified lives. WFP works globally as an emergency responder, one that is often the first on the scene in the most difficult environments. WFP also works with partners to strengthen the resilience of communities most vulnerable to hunger and malnutrition through long-term development programmes aimed at boosting food security, local economies, education, employment and gender equality. While hunger and malnutrition are the world’s largest solvable issues, the needs are still immense and growing 821 million people in the world suffer from chronic hunger.
To contribute to a world with Zero Hunger, WFP is investing in and growing private sector fundraising and partnerships to reach more people. The Private Partnerships and Fundraising Division (PPF) is responsible for engaging the private sector (corporations, individuals, foundations) through high-impact partnerships in support of WFP’s strategic priorities, and through individual giving to build and retain support from the general public worldwide. PPF strives to mobilize funding, technical assistance, innovative solutions, and visibility and awareness to help WFP fulfil its mission and operations. PPF also provides guidance to WFP Regional Bureaux (RB), Country Offices (COs) and HQ Functional Units on partnership development, best practices, compliance and rules and regulations for engaging with the private sector. Joining PPF is an exciting opportunity for experienced professionals to co-develop and implement our new private partnerships and fundraising strategy.
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
PPF Division is looking for a motivated individual to manage and grow key partnerships with companies. The private sector is uniquely qualified to play a leadership role in ending hunger. Some of the largest and most respected companies in the world – such as Mastercard and Royal DSM – are helping achieve zero hunger by enabling WFP to strengthen operations, reach more people, fund lifesaving programs and increase public support. They choose to partner with WFP because of WFP’s leadership, reach, scale and track record to create innovative mutually-beneficial partnerships that leverage their unique strengths and create lasting impact.
The selected candidate will be joining PPF’s Rome-based Partnership Management team, which is responsible for managing and growing partnerships which leverage the assets, expertise and skills of the private sector to support the achievement of SDG2.
- Lead, manage and grow a defined portfolio of WFP’s high-value, high-impact multi-year partnerships
- Create and implement plans to maximize partnerships; manage renewals, proactively seek opportunities for growth, provide ongoing stewardship, and assess results in order to maximise resources for WFP and deliver results for partners;
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders including WFP technical units and field colleagues to identify funding opportunities, and develop value propositions to increase support from partners;
- Create compelling presentations and proposals — including grant applications, and reports;
- Build and maintain positive relationships with private sector counterparts; create plans to strengthen relationships with senior leadership and key decision-makers, to engage employees, and to add value to the partnership;
- Lead complex negotiations processes, and work with WFP Legal to develop contracts;
- Drive the development and implementation of internal and external communications plans to ensure optimal partnership visibility, in coordination with WFP communications colleagues;
- Plan and lead strategic and day-to-day meetings with partners and internal colleagues, including WFP and partner leadership; write briefs and prepare leadership and colleagues for participation in meetings;
- Liaise with in-house services to ensure proper fund management and fulfilment of contractual obligations and ensure timely and accurate reporting, as well as tracking and accurate record-keeping in Salesforce and SharePoint;
- Serve as key stakeholder for WFP technical units, Regional Bureaux and/or Global Offices and proactively support their effective and successful engagement with the private sector, where relevant
- Support or lead defined team projects and undertake additional responsibilities as needed.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT
- Partnership plans developed for portfolio to maximize partnerships, and implemented using best practice processes and stewardship to achieve targets.
- Effective leadership of partnership portfolio and activities, with clear decisions made on strategic and day-to-day activities, and negotiations and renewals complete where relevant.
- Strong, collaborative internal and external relationships built.
- Clear and accurate records of partnership intelligence are kept and are up to date on all relevant systems.
- Clear evidence of input in to support cross team and divisional initiatives, where required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Advanced University degree in Business Administration, Marketing/Communications, International Development, Non-Profit Management/Fundraising or other relevant field – or first university degree with additional years of related work experience.
At least six years of progressive experience working in developing and/or managing partnerships, project management, marketing and communications, sales or account management roles. Knowledge of international development a plus.
Track record of successfully managing and growing large (USD 1 million+) partnerships with global companies.
Experience with technical partnerships (delivering non-financial support including expertise) a plus.
Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and manage, and negotiate a sales process.
Understanding of the private sector, sustainability, corporate social responsibility, and corporate philanthropy as well as the humanitarian and development sectors.
Experience with cause marketing and consumer fundraising campaigns.
Experience developing and implementing employee engagement activities.
Experience in account management both internal and external stakeholders to build relationships and deliver join workplans.
People-oriented; able to build rapport with individuals of different levels and functions with tact, courtesy and humor; comfortable having difficult conversations.
Attention to detail, ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
Strong presentation and writing skills.
Ability to think creatively and excited about exploring and initiating ideas.
Excellent command of spoken and written English.
Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language is a plus.
Terms and Conditions
Short-listed candidates can be subject to written assessment.
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by role’s responsibilities and deliverables. This consultancy assignment is renewable upon funding.
Visit the website for detailed information on working with WFP: http://www.wfp.org – Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about our operations.
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the Organisation. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection & recruitment process, and for work-related needs upon joining the Programme.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status. WFP has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, abuse of authority or discrimination. All selected candidates will, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
We greatly appreciate your interest in WFP and joining our mission to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030
Saving Lives, Changing Lives!
How to apply
Please click here to apply