OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This is a requisition for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
Contractual Agreement: Non-Staff – International PAHO Consultant
Job Posting: May 26, 2023
Closing Date: June 15, 2023, 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Primary Location: Off Site
Organization: HIM Health Emergencies Information and Risk Assessment
Schedule: Full time
PURPOSE OF CONSULTANCY
Objectives of the Department The objective of the Health Emergencies Department (PHE) of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) is to increase health sector resilience to emergencies and disasters. PHE assists Member States to strengthen the health sector’s capacities in prevention, risk reduction, preparedness, surveillance, response, and early recovery for emergencies and disasters related to any hazards (natural, man-made, biological, chemical, radiological and others) and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain disasters, including outbreaks, and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations. PHE is responsible for ensuring the implementation and updating of the PAHO/WHO Institutional Emergency and Disaster Response Policy.Objective of the Unit Within PHE, the Health Emergency Information & Risk Assessment (HIM) Unit focuses on data collection, verification, database management, data analysis and risk assessment. The information gathered through HIM helps in PHE’s response to natural disaster events and epidemic disease events of potential public health concern. Currently, the HIM Unit focuses its efforts in providing the most accurate data and analysis regarding the COVID-19 pandemic specifically focusing on the Americas.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Under the general supervision of the Health Emergency Information and Risk Assessment (HIM) Unit Chief and direct supervision of the Advisor on Detection, Verification and Risk Assessment, the incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to, the following assigned duties: a) Collaborate in carrying the detection of signal and events with potential of causing public health emergency of international concern, including those related to pandemics and epidemics as part of the International Health regulation (IHR) implementation;
b) Assist and facilitate the carry out of the epidemic intelligence function by using official, unofficial sources as well artificial intelligence;
c) Collaborate in preparing daily reports on signal and events with potential of causing public health emergency of international concern, including those related to COVID-19, Monkeypox and others, for the Central America Country Offices;
d) Support the preparation and dissemination of the social and political risk by using Artificial Intelligence platform.
e) Collaborate in the weekly meeting to revise and assess current public health events and propose further actions and way forward;
f) Assist in collecting information on public health events data and current epidemics and current public health emergencies by consulting the official webpage of the Ministries and Health Agencies of the countries and territories of the Region;
g) Participate in the roster of duty officer for 24/7 availability to detect signal and events and prepare daily reports;
h) Perform other related tasks as assigned.
Education requirements (Qualifications)
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in a health, social, or environmental science from a recognized institution.
Desirable: Master’s degree in health science, public health or related discipline to emergency
Essential: Three years of combined national and/or international experience in public health.
Essential: Excellent written and spoken English (and/or Spanish); working knowledge of Spanish (or English). Working knowledge of French or Portuguese would be an asset.
Additional skills IT Skills: Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook.
The incumbent will be expected to perform this position’s duties and responsibilities remotely.
Expected contract duration
One year with possibility for extension subject to performance and funding. This consultancy is expected to entail a full-time commitment.
Compensation: USD $5,000
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates for other similar consultancies at the same level.
- Successful candidates will be placed on the roster and subsequently may be selected for consultancy assignments falling in this area of work or for similar requirements/tasks/deliverables. Inclusion in the Roster does not guarantee selection to a consultant contract. There is no commitment on either side.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this consultancy. For assessment of your application, please ensure that your profile in Stellis is updated; all experience records are entered with elaboration on tasks performed at the time. Kindly note that CV/PHFs inserted via LinkedIn are no accessible.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- If your candidature is retained for interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. PAHO/WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO/WHO Regulations, and e-Manual.
- For information on PAHO please visit: http://www.paho.org
- PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- PAHO is an ethical organization that maintains high standards of integrity and accountability. People joining PAHO are required to maintain these standards both in their professional work and personal activities.
- PAHO also promotes a work environment that is free from harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other types of abusive behavior. PAHO conducts background checks and will not hire anyone who has a substantiated history of abusive conduct.
- PAHO personnel interact frequently with people in the communities we serve. To protect these people, PAHO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. People who commit serious wrongdoing will be terminated and may also face criminal prosecution.
- PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- Consultants shall perform the work as independent contractors in a personal capacity, and not as a representative of any entity or authority. The execution of the work under a consultant contract does not create an employer/employee relationship between PAHO and the Consultant.
- PAHO/WHO shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any taxes, duties, social security contributions or other contributions payable by the Consultant. The Consultant shall be solely responsible for withholding and paying any taxes, duties, social security contributions and any other contributions which are applicable to the Consultant in each location/jurisdiction in which the work hereunder is performed, and the Consultant shall not be entitled to any reimbursement thereof by PAHO/WHO.