CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Development of the Migration Profile Report for the Republic of South Africa
Position Title: National Consultant: Development of the Migration Profile Report for South Africa
Duty Station: At home, South Africa
Type and Duration of Contract: Consultancy Contract, 50 days over 8 months
Period: April- November 2023
Preferred Starting Date: 01 April 2023
Closing date: 3 March 2023
- Project Context and Scope
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Regional Office in Southern Africa, and country office in South Africa, through its institutional mandate, is supporting the Government of South Africa, partners, and national and international organizations to effectively manage migration data collection and dissemination in order to maximize its positive impacts for all concerned. Specifically, within the context of the Southern Africa Migration Management (SAMM) project “Improving Migration data Management in Southern Africa and Indian Ocean region” funded by the European Union, IOM has the specific objective to strengthen and ensure informed decision-making processes in the management of mixed migration through stronger mechanisms to generate timely and up-to-date data and statistics on migration. This initiative aligns with the recommendations of the Migration Dialogue for Southern Africa (MIDSA) held in Mozambique and Malawi in 2021 and 2022 respectively urging member States to prioritize the collection of timely and reliable migration data for policy and programming purposes, which has also been emphasized in objective one of the Global Compact for Migration (GCM) and Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) target 17.18 which calls for the availability of high-quality, timely ,reliable and disaggregated data.
A Migration Profile is a country-owned tool, prepared in consultation with a broad range of stakeholders in government, private sector and civil society organisations, which can be used to enhance policy coherence, evidence-based policymaking, and the mainstreaming of migration into development plans. The Migration Profile brings together a range of existing migration-related indicators and policy-relevant information from different sources in a structured manner. These are intended to be tools to facilitate national policy development and implementation. The development of a Migration Profile should be participatory, involving a range of relevant stakeholders, and owned by the South African Government. This process should provide an opportunity to improve data collection and analysis and build the capacity of the country to update the profile report regularly and use it as a national policy tool. existing governance frameworks. The Migration Profile will cover various topics related to migration such as immigration and border management, human rights of migrants, migration and health, labour migration, migration and development, remittances, migrant protection, forced displacement, displacement because of environmental factors as well as labour migration amongst others. The Migration Profile will also highlight the existing gaps and challenges faced in sustainable migration management, further provide a comprehensive set of recommendations towards strengthening migration management.
This will be the first Migration Profile for South Africa and will be developed in close coordination with the Government of South Africa. To provide an analysis of the current migration dynamics in SA, IOM in coordination with Statistics South Africa (Stats SA) is embarking on an initiative to develop a Migration Profile report for South Africa. The report will present a broad spectrum of migration issues in South Africa such as migration policy, migration and development and migration management in the country.
- Objectives and Responsibilities
The Objective of the Consultancy is to develop a Migration Profile report for South Africa, with the most recent indicators available for South Africa, using official data sources. The Consultant will be required to perform the underlisted specific tasks:
- Conduct a mapping and analysis of stakeholders and actors who can provide migration-related information and data in South Africa. Assist in the establishment of a Technical Working Group. Identify relevant data that can be included in the Migration Profile for South Africa.
- Develop an inception report for the assignment, including the scope of the Migration Profile, a detailed work plan and methodology as well protocols relevant for the assignment. Present the inception report to all relevant stakeholders and incorporate the feedback and provide the final inception report.
- Provide capacity building plan on data literacy, complementary to the development of the Migration Profile, in conjunction with IOM and Stats SA. Facilitate technical discussions on the Migration Profile development process during the Technical Working Group meetings. Provide capacity development on (a) international standards of data collection as well as the use of migration data for policymaking and programming, (b) the usage of the tools developed for data collection, in conjunction with IOM and Stats SA. Develop report after Capacity Development.
- Draft the Migration Profile and provide regular status updates to the Technical Working Group. Develop meeting reports. Facilitate a validation workshop to discuss and refine the draft Migration Profile. Address all the comments from the validation workshop, update and finalize the Migration Profile.
- Undertake regular travel within South Africa as required. Perform such other duties relevant to the completion of this assignment as may be assigned.
- Develop a mapping and analysis of stakeholders and actors who can provide migration-related information and data in South Africa. Identify relevant data that can be included in the Migration Profile for South Africa.
- Develop an inception report for the assignment, including the scope of the Migration Profile, a detailed work plan and methodology for the assignment. Present the inception report to the Technical Working Group and incorporate the feedback and provide the final inception report.
- Together with Stats SA, assist in the establishment of a Technical Working Group. Facilitate technical discussions on the Migration Profile development process during the Technical Working Group meetings. Provide regular status updates to the Technical Working Group and draft meeting reports.
- In conjunction with IOM and Stats SA, develop capacity building plan on data literacy and lead the trainings for relevant stakeholders on (a) international standards of data collection as well as the use of migration data for policymaking and programming, (b) the usage of the tools developed for data collection. Develop report from Capacity Development Workshop.
- Draft the Migration Profile. Facilitate a validation workshop to discuss and refine the draft Migration Profile. Address all the comments from the validation workshop, update and finalize the Migration Profile report.
- Evaluation Criteria
Prospective consultants will be evaluated for suitability to undertake the task based on the following criteria:
Education and Training 20
Specific Skills 50
General Skills 10
Facilitation Skills 20
- Management Arrangements and Conduct of Work
- Under the overall supervision of the SAMM Regional Project Coordinator, and direct technical supervision of the Regional Migration Research Officer, based in Pretoria, the Consultant will also work in close coordination with Stats SA in the implementation of all activities.
- The Consultant will be expected to work from his or her own offices and to use his/her own facilities.
- The Consultant will be home-based and regular travels for consultations and facilitation of workshops may be required within South Africa.
- Remuneration and terms of payment:
The Consultant will receive an all-inclusive fee. The all-inclusive consultancy fee covers consultation fee, communication, travel and accommodation costs where necessary. The consultancy services will be required over 8 months and payment will be made per % of the total cost of the consultancy. The fees will be paid in accordance with the endorsement of the deliverables in the following proportions:
- 30% upon submission and validation of the Inception Report including the outline of the Migration Profile, stakeholder, and data mapping.
- 30% upon the presentation of the first draft of the Migration Profile for review and comments.
- 40% upon submission and acceptance of the final Draft Report on the Migration Profile by the Technical Working Group and Stats SA and the reports of all the validation and capacity development workshops.
- Required qualifications and experience
- Education: Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Demography, Population Studies or Statistics
- Experience: A minimum of 10 years’ experience in migration data analysis and data assessment. Experience in facilitation and participation with governmental authorities at the national and international level. Demonstrable knowledge and professional experience with migration data. Experience working with surveys, census and administrative data relevant to migration is an advantage.
- Skills: Knowledge of the Migration Profile. Knowledge of statistical methods and migration data sources. Confident use of social research methods. Proven ability and experience in leading and facilitating training workshops. Knowledge and understanding of migration landscape in South Africa. The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines. Strong analytical, reporting, editing and communication skills.
- Languages: Fluency in English is required. Excellent report writing skills in required.
- Location: Candidates located in South Africa will be considered. The consultant will be home-based and regular travels for consultations and facilitation of workshops may be required.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Core Competencies
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible. – Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct. – Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. – Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes. – Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate. – Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work. – Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications in English, with:
- Cover letter/ Letter of motivation, clearly specifying suitability to the role and relevant experience.
- Detailed curriculum vitae, including three referees (preferably former direct supervisors) and email addresses.
- Technical proposal, not more than 5 pages comprising detailed methodology and workplan.
- All-inclusive financial quotation/proposal relating to this assignment in ZAR.
- Example of a writing sample.
This position is open to national Consultants from South Africa. All applications indicating the position title in the subject line must be submitted on or before 03 March 2023 via e-mail to email@example.com. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that applications are open to only individual consultants. Applications from a Company will not be considered.