Position Title: Librarian and Publications Specialist
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G6
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 16 February 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Migration Research and Publications Division (MRPD) is responsible for supporting IOM’s worldwide efforts in developing and conducting policy-relevant migration research, as well as implementing global research projects in order to inform programme delivery, policy development and better understanding of migration. The Division is responsible for Library services within IOM and is the focal point for IOM’s limited historical archives.
The Publications Unit (PUB) within MRPD is responsible for supporting IOM’s Country and Regional Offices as well as Headquarters Departments/Offices in publishing reports, guidelines, articles, and other materials on the IOM Publications Platform. As part of this support, PUB provides production services in style and language editing (copy-editing), layout and design, quality assurance (QA) review and approval for publications uploaded to the IOM Publications Platform. The Unit also develops guidelines and provides technical advice to IOM Offices to ensure compliance with the Organization’s brand, style and spelling.
The Librarian and Publications Specialist will be working under the direct supervision of the Head, MRD & Editor, World Migration Report (Librarian role) and Senior Publications Specialist (Publications Specialist role).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Respond to IOM staff requests for library services and respond to external requests for access to archival materials.
- Oversee Library e-catalogue, including the indexing of new items and the review of existing-catalogue items.
- Oversee the Library hard copy collection, including the maintenance and rationalization of the collection through archiving/disposing materials.
- Maintain the inventory of the historical archives.
- Undertake administrative tasks, such as purchase requests, payment of journal/other subscription services, library collection asset tracking and other related tasks.
As Publications Specialist:
- Undertake detailed QA review of publications that have been copy-edited and/or laid out outside the Unit for their adherence to IOM Publishing Standards, as per the IOM Style Manual, Layout Manual and IOM Spelling List.
- Provide detailed comments/revisions to project managers and other staff responsible for publications that are subject to QA review, and coordinate/confirm revisions to ensure the final version is consistent with IOM standards.
- In coordination with the Head of PUB, approve final publications before they are uploaded onto the IOM Publications Platform or otherwise disseminated externally.
- Provide written and oral guidance to IOM staff on QA review processes, including as part of PUB internal webinars and training. Ensure guidance is up to date with UN and other relevant changes (e.g. changes to official country names) as well as changes in processes/practices internally.
- Perform other duties in support of PUB as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Library Studies, Publications/Communications or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant work experience; or,
- Completed High school / Secondary school education with six years of relevant experience.
- At least four years (six years for high school/secondary school education) experience working as a librarian and/or in UN publications production;
- Experience in integrated library management systems (e.g. Alephino or Aleph) and graphic design software (e.g. Adobe Suite);
- Experience working in an international environment;
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating with other teams to achieve common goals.
- Understanding of migration issues and the work of the Organization;
- Advanced computer literacy skills: knowledge of library systems and design software, as well as Microsoft Office tools;
- Excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate with diverse staff/teams;
- Consistency and high attention to detail;
- High sense of responsibility and ability to show initiative and maintain accuracy, including while under pressure;
- Ability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish and/or French is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internal candidates of the Organization will be considered as first-tier candidates.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only qualified Swiss nationals or candidates residing in Switzerland or neighbouring France will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 16 February 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2023 01 (GS) Librarian and Publications Specialist (G6) Geneva, Switzerland (57959104) Released
Posting: Posting NC57959105 (57959105) Released