JOB TITLE: Project Manager Engineer/Architect
CONTRACT TYPE: Regular Consultant
DUTY STATION (City, Country): N’Djamena, Chad
DURATION: 06 Months Extendable
NOMBRE DE POSTE : 1
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
WFP CHAD has designed a One UN Premises concept to improve the work environment and ensuring well-being and safety of the employees through improvements the existing prefabricated office space, building facilities in poor condition and with insufficient capacity in WFP compound in Abeche.
WFP Chad took the lead to build with the assistance of WFP HQ Engineering team one UN Common and modern Premises in Abeche with 1892 m2 of constructed buildings to allocated executive offices, open workstations areas, meeting rooms, UN Clinic, safe Havens, toilets, stores, etc. and a Common area of 2500 m2 to allocate parking space, kitchen, cafeteria, Gym facility, prayer space, fleet workshop services and general facilities, such as access Control, security guard, driveways and footpaths, potable water connection and stormwater drainage, as well as electromechanical features, such as green energy with back-up generator, solar panel systems, lightning and improved IT infrastructure, waste management, accessibility for people with reduced mobility.
Therefore, WFP CHAD is looking for a project manager with civil engineering and/or architect skills to carry out the project in coordination with the WFP country office team for six months with the possibility of extension. The project is aligned with the country’s strategic plan of WFP regarding OSH requirements and with the General Secretary orientations on common premises.
This role will be under the direct supervision of the Head of Administration and will coordinate the execution of the project in coordination with the Administration Unit of the WFP Chad office and in coordination with Management Services Division Engineering and Infrastructure in HQ.
WFP operates to the highest levels of international construction standards while taking into account local constraints and methods of work. The PM shall be responsible for ensuring that the project is progressed to an acceptable standard and to the highest quality in accordance with the contracts between WFP and the selected construction/consultancy companies. The PM will act as the Employer focal point for the construction management and oversight of all activities related to the construction of the new facilities in the project locations assigned. The PM shall be constantly present in the construction sites assigned.
The following non-exhaustive list of functions will be considered as the competence of the Project Manager:
- Lead the planning and execution of the One UN compound Premises in Abeche. This includes the supervision of the all the component of the constructions, installation of solar panels and fuel tankers, support to manage and coordinate the space occupation and the works planning with different actors and stakeholders, acting as the focal point of the project between WFP CHAD and the Contractor.
- Provide expert advice and support on a range of engineering services, project management, and construction activities including the implementation of WFP policies, standards, norms, and practices.
- Provide guidance and leadership on engineering and project management services considering country-specific technical requirements, using best practices, standards and innovative technologies that comply with WFP standards and processes.
- Read, implement or adjust designs, drawings and construction contract documentation reflecting site specific constraints, local conditions or characteristics.
- Checking, recording and testing of completed works before they are covered by the contractor.
- Liaise with third party companies (contractors, suppliers, etc.), and supervise the relative works on site; manage and supervise teams and coordinate activities together and in consultation with other implementers/supervisors on site which act on behalf of the Client.
- Liaise with Stakeholders both internal and external to the organization, and other UN organizations which may be involved in the project (as Clients, partners, etc.).
- Liaise with local Authorities to obtain necessary authorization for the implementation of the projects and to ensure co-ordination of activities throughout the project duration.
- Maintain records including site correspondence, survey data, inspection records, test data, site diaries, records of meetings, financial records, progress records, daily photos, etc.
- Provide guidance to contractors and consultants.
- Assess contractor’s proposals and methodologies.
- Review and evaluation of planned and in progress construction projects.
- Establishment and maintenance of project performance monitoring, evaluation and reporting up to project completion.
- Prepare reports, including technical appraisals, additional contract documentation, and any other relevant reports as may be required from time to time.
- Prepare and manage cash flow programmes, including processing invoices and following payments.
- Assist with interpretation of the contract documents. Explain and or reconcile any ambiguities and or discrepancies in the contract documents and apply the various provisions of the contract documents.
- Prepare and review reports, minutes and correspondence in relation to the project as requested.
- Approval of handover documentation including as-builts, material reports and manuals; 19. Contribute to monitoring plans in coordination with the Research, Assessment and Monitoring (RAM) Unit to collect evidence of successes, areas for improvement and lessons learned.
- Attend and organize on-site meetings or attend conference calls.
- Coordinate and report to Country Office, Country Administration Unit weekly on progress, plans and issues, etc.
- Contribute to the coordination with the other UN agencies for the successful execution of the pilot.
- Design a future scaling plan based on lessons learned.
- Contribute to advocacy and fundraising for the project scaling.
- Any other homework that may be assigned.
- Advise, and in consultation with the Engineering Unit at headquarters, on interim and final payments to contractors.
- Provide recommendations to Chad CO regarding certification of project payments and additional financial obligations that may be required to complete the project’s on-site customization and installation.
- Prepare, in consultation with the Engineering Unit at WFP Headquarters, variations to address problems encountered on site or arising from the needs of WFP or others.
- Assist in the liquidation of Audits and Consultations (if any) related to the Project.
- Preparation, and in consultation with WFP engineering, when necessary, of the final accounts
- Assess contractor submissions.
- Establish and maintain project quality assurance procedures.
- Completion of all necessary measurements and control of quality of the works for the implementation of the works.
- Assurance of the quality of the works during construction, continuously inspecting the materials and construction operations with regard to workmanship and compliance with the specifications. Carrying out independent testing in the field and/or in a laboratory in order to approve or disapprove and certify the works that conform to the contract. Maintenance of permanent records of results of all the tests made.
- Provision of notice to the contractors of any defects and deficiencies, and issue instructions for the removal and substitution of the improper works, where provided under the contract.
Health & Safety
- Ensure that the contractors abide by the internationally recognized standards of health and safety for the works, adjacent properties, all site personnel and the general public;
- Order to the contractor measures to improve Health and Safety on site during construction works;
- Notification to WFP Chad CO and Engineering Unit of any serious breaches to health and safety rules on the project.
- Reporting of all health & safety incidents and accidents in weekly progress reports.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Strong preference will be given to those who can demonstrate that they can operate in fast flowing environments with limited resources. The ideal candidate will be detail oriented, determined to get things done. The Project Manager must be extremely fast and efficient.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or Engineering or equal approved.
- At least 6 years of proven Architectural/Engineering experience in design and construction/rehabilitation of building and infrastructure type projects.
- Design Experience with AutoCAD and Sketchup.
- Experience in Health and Safety and Quality Control.
- Experience of working in difficult security environments.
- Experience working in the humanitarian sector is desirable.
- Construction Projects Scheduling with demonstrated experience with Project Planner soft wares and Ms. Project Scheduling software.
- Office computer software programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Packages.
- Knowledge of typical FIDIC Contracts packages.
- Knowledge of construction contracts management processes.
- Knowledge and ability to use engineering survey equipment.
- Must be fluent both in oral and written French and English Languages.
How to apply
Link for WFP Internal candidate: https://performancemanager5.successfactors.eu/sf/jobreq?jobId=301804&company=C0000168410P
Link for WFP External Candidates: https://career5.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=301804&company=C0000168410P