CFA Number: AZCFA2022-26
Position Title: International Consultant
Duty Station: Home based with travel to Baku, Azerbaijan
Type of Appointment: Consultancy
Duration of Appointment: 2 months
Estimated Start Date:12 December 2022
Closing Date:27 November 2022
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Introduction: Established in 1951, the International Organization for Migration (IOM), the UN Migration Agency, is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Project: “Enhancing the Socioeconomic Benefits of Remittances in Azerbaijan”
Project Context and Scope: The IDF-funded “Enhancing the Socioeconomic Benefits of Remittances in Azerbaijan” project aims to contribute towards greater financial inclusion and use of digital financial services among Azerbaijani migrants abroad, migrants in Azerbaijan, and remittance recipients in Azerbaijan/abroad to support sustainable livelihood development.
This aim will be achieved by (1) assessing, with relevant gender considerations, current remittance flows, related practices and services, existing national legislative framework and policies; (2) developing and validating a stakeholder analysis and mapping, as well as a roadmap for establishing an innovative digital remittances system; (3) piloting or analysing an existing digital remittance application and disseminating lessons learned for further actions and sustainability.
Objectives of the consultancy: IOM is seeking an international consultant to develop a roadmap for establishing an innovative digital remittances system in Azerbaijan. A roadmap should be based on findings and recommendations of the assessment report on the existing practices and policies related to remittances, its legal, social, gender and economic gaps, and consumption models, as well as the report on analysis and mapping of all stakeholders related to remittances in Azerbaijan. A roadmap should, inter alia, cover improvements for accessibility and uptake of digital remittance services and other relevant financial products, conceptualize digital remittance application system that will be piloted in the next phase of the project, as well as propose timeframe and estimated resources needed for roadmap implementation.
The international consultant, taking due consideration of project budget and timelines, will develop a workplan for preparation of a roadmap. The consultant is expected to review the relevant international experience in the field of digital remittances, to identify the best option(s) for Azerbaijan, to assess the scale of the demand for the proposed option(s), to determine the nature of the obstacles, if any, which could prevent the proposed option from reaching significant scale. The international consultant, by closely consulting with relevant stakeholders, will develop an action plan that includes but is not limited to activities aimed at improving accessibility and uptake of digital remittance services and other relevant financial products. (S)he is also expected to present a roadmap for feedback of relevant stakeholders and validation at the Working Group (WG) meeting to take place in late-January. Furthermore, the international consultant will perform other relevant tasks, as requested by the IOM Azerbaijan. The consultant will work under the supervision of IOM Azerbaijan. The IOM Regional Office in Vienna will provide support, if and as needed. The international consultant will be assisted by national consultant and will guide and coordinate his/her work.
Tangible and measurable outputs of the work assignment: International consultant will be hired to deliver a roadmap for establishing an innovative digital remittances system in Azerbaijan on a two-instalment payment basis.
First deliverable:Workplan –– within 1 week of starting date of assignment (the latest by 19 December 2022).
Second deliverable:Detailed framework for the document, including review of international experience –– within 2 weeks of starting date of assignment (the latest by 26 December 2022).
First instalment payment (45%) –– provided that all deliverables sent by email for review and approval with IOM Azerbaijan and IOM Regional Office in Vienna by 26 December 2022.
Third deliverable:Draft roadmap –– within 4 weeks of starting date of assignment (the latest by 9 January 2023).
Fourth deliverable:Final roadmap –– within 5 weeks of starting date of assignment (the latest by 23 January 2023).
Final deliverable:Presentation of the roadmap at the WG meeting in Azerbaijan –– within 8 weeks of starting date of assignment (the latest by 31 January 2023).
Final instalment payment (55%) –– provided that all deliverables sent by email for review and approval with IOM Azerbaijan and IOM Regional Office in Vienna and presentation delivered in person by 31 January 2023.
Education and Experience required:
- At least Master’s degree in economics, financial economics, development finance, development studies, public policy, or similar field.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in banking, financial service sector, international remittances or related experience in private sector or an international organization.
- At least 2 years of experience in planning strategies, workplans and roadmaps related to digital finance or remittance-related solutions.
- Excellent analytical, research, reporting, communication, documentation, presentation, and workshop conduction/facilitation skills.
- Experience of similar assignments in similar international or CIS development contexts is desired.
- Knowledge of labour migration corridors from/to Azerbaijan is an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to assess complex situations to clearly distil critical issues.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate excellent teamwork, coordination, and facilitation skills, as well as to respond constructively to feedback and differing points of view.
- Experience working with specialized international agencies (UN Agencies, international organizations, etc.).
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure and in a deadline driven environment.
- Computer literate with ability to operate Windows applications.
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and constructive working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds while maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
Travel required: Subject to COVID 19 restrictions, the international consultant will travel to Azerbaijan. His / her travel is expected to take place in January 2023, for a period of 2 working days, to present a roadmap at the WG meeting.
Languages: Excellent written and spoken English. Fluency in Russian language is a distinct advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit below documents in English by indicating name of the position (International Consultant) applied with its CFA number (AZCFA2022-26) in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com by the end of 27 November 2022.
- Curriculum Vitae with Motivation Letter
- Expected Consultant Fee
Please note that only applications with required documents will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.