Position Title: Intern – Ethics and Conduct Unit (ECO)
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Classification: Intern, Grade Other
Type of Appointment: Internship, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 28 February 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Ethics and Conduct Unit (ECO) promotes a robust ethical culture at IOM based on the Organization’s shared core values. ECO works to promote and uphold the Organization’s values, including the highest standards of conduct and professionalism, in line with IOM’s Standards of Conduct and related policies. ECO provides impartial advice and counsel to the Organization and all IOM personnel about ethical issues and the Standards of Conduct.
ECO is a formal, independent unit, responsible for advising the IOM personnel about conflicts of interest, outside activities, close relatives, and gifts. Through training and outreach, ECO promotes ethical awareness and behaviour and strives to help IOM personnel understand their responsibilities working for IOM and to put the Organization’s shared values into practice.
Accountability is one of the key features of professionalism at IOM and all IOM personnel have a duty to report any breach of the Organization’s rules and regulations. IOM is committed to protecting staff members from retaliation. ECO is mandated to examine complaints of retaliation.
The Intern will work under the overall direction of the Head of ECO and the direct supervision of the Ethics and Integrity Officer. The intern will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist with uploading data, keeping up to date, monitoring usage, suggesting improvements in and providing reports on ECOs multiple case managing and tracking systems.
- Assist in drafting and reviewing ECO related documents, policies and procedures.
- Assist in the development, implementation and analysis of training modules.
- Assist in ECO’s awareness campaign on the IOM Standards of Conduct and ECO’s activities. Keeping up to date training statistics, as well as coordinating with regional offices to ensure that their IOM staff comply with ECO mandatory training.
- Prepare reports of ECO activities and assist in preparing trends and analysis from the ECO database.
- Conduct research on topics related to ECOs mandate and responsibilities, as needed.
- Translate, proofread and format documents, including those that contain sensitive or confidential information.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Training Components and Learning Elements
The Intern will acquire technical knowledge in the area of Ethics and Conduct.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in law, international relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree in the above fields with relevant professional experience.
- Any work experience from or knowledge of UN or alike organizations;
- Experience working in sensitive environments and with confidential information and processes;
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural setting an advantage;
- Proven experience in drafting reports and internal / external documents.
- Excellent computer literacy, especially database tools;
- Good analytical and drafting skills; resourcefulness, initiative;
- Demonstrated organizational skills;
- Ability to meet deadlines in accordance with instructions and guidelines;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and working knowledge of French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Eligibility and Selection
In general, the Internship Programme aims at attracting talented students and graduates who:
- have a specific interest in, or whose studies have covered, areas relevant to IOMprogrammes and activities;
- are holding a scholarship for internship placements in international organizations and/or for whom internship is required to complete their studies; or
- are sponsored by governmental/non governmental institutions and/or academia to work in specific areas relevant to both IOM and the sponsor.
- are either enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) or have graduated in the last 12 months. e) are between 20 and 36 years of age.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and additional enquiries will only be addressed if the candidate is shortlisted.
- Depending on experience and location, IOM provides a small monthly stipend to help offset costs.
- Please consider the cost of living in Geneva prior to applying.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HERE via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 28 February 2023.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 10.02.2023 to 28.02.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: INT 2023 02 – Intern – Ethics and Conduct Unit (ECO) – Geneva, Switzerland (57967921) Released
Posting: Posting NC57967922 (57967922) Released