Position Title: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Information Management (IM) Officer
Duty Station: Berlin, Germany
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 19 April 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) has been the International Organization for Migration’s (IOM) main operational tool for tracking and monitoring the movements and evolving needs of displaced populations since 2004. It has been systematically deployed in medium to large-scale humanitarian response operations in the last five years, including in all Level 3 emergencies. During 2019, DTM has been active in over 60 countries, tracking and monitoring over 14.5 million displaced persons worldwide.
The DTM Operations, Coordination and Support (OCS) Unit assembles expertise in operations and coordination, methodology and concept development, mapping and Geographic Information Systems, statistical analysis, database and application system development, and data and information management. The OCS provides a full range of support from the initial development and setup to continuous support on operations, staff deployment, data management, mapping, database systems, and development of information products. At the global level, the team is striving to enhance the DTM by providing technical expertise, supporting the integration of innovative technologies, improving capacity building components, and designing streamlined and harmonised processes.
Recent significant scale up of both DTM operations in the field and global development initiatives requires further strengthening of the global DTM OCS Unit to ensure effective and efficient implementation of global projects as well as to maintain and keep improving the quality and expansion of DTM in the field.
Under the overall supervision of the Human Displacement and Mobility Expert (Head of OCS) and the direct supervision of the Senior Geographic Information System (GIS) Officer, the Geographic Information System (GIS) and Information Management (IM) Officer will be responsible and accountable for providing support to the activities and services provided by DTM Global team in the area of GIS mapping and Information management. The incumbent will work closely with the Regional Offices (ROs) and Country Offices (COs), supporting the country operations.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support developing, testing and deployment of databases, software and other technology solutions (including. mobile applications) and compilation of business requirements, technical specifications, user and technical documentation and standards for DTM related applications
- Visualize and map data whilst assuring data consistency utilizing appropriate GIS/mapping tools and products. Support creation of country atlases and regularly update base maps in line with identified requirements. Assist global IOM operations in term GIS data storing and designing, mapping.
- Support DTM operations and provide technical inputs into information management of DTM tools as well as providing immediate support during emergencies by in-country surge deployment.
- Maintain the IOM web geoportals for Headquarters (HQ) and support for IOM COs. Manage and maintain procedure and structure (users, content, branding) for the IOM Geo Portal internal and external.
- Enforce guidelines, standards, templates, and metadata for IOM data collection and the IOMGeo Portal- internal and external content. To assist remotely IOM COs to follow guidelines for web GIS geoportal.
- Provide input for geographic data and administrative divisions for various IOM databases for tracking population movements and displacement locations.
- Provide interim support to DTM initiatives and capacity building activities globally in accordance with global GIS standards and methodologies, in close coordination with the regional data hubs and relevant COs.
- Provide technical and mapping support for IOM CO worldwide. Being in liaison with IOM COsand to work with database management team in the Central Data Warehouse (CDW).
- Contribute to the data collection processes, query, analysis and the overall data management activities to ensure the common spatial data standards and structures are applied and data are managed properly throughout the data management cycle.
- Manage DTM global geospatial infrastructure and licenses global allocations.
- Participate and represent DTM in different global coordination forums related to information management and geospatial data.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Information Systems, Geography, Cartography or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in design, setting up, managing, and coordinating DTM/GIS implementation and field operations;
- Experience Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM;
- Experience in working on multi-countries multi-components data management activities.
- Strong and demonstrable interest in migration, disaster management and/or humanitarianissues.
- Strong and demonstrable interest in migration and/or humanitarian issues.
- Strong information management architecture knowledge, GIS software and concepts of Relational Database Systems.
- Excellent writing, communication and analytical skills.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Advanced level of computer literacy.
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations.
- Effectively coordinates actions with partners and stakeholders.
- Proven analytical skills and creative thinking.
- Excellent communication skills, efficiency, and flexibility.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Attention to detail and quality and capacity to meet deadlines.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of either Spanish and/or French is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.