Position Title: Field Engineer (2 Positions)
Duty Station: Chuuk, Micronesia, Federated States of
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 06 March 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Between February 22-25 in 2019, Typhoon Wutip crossed directly over Chuuk State and increased in strength as it continued across Yap State in the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM). Most of the affected area is in the outer islands of Chuuk and Yap. As the United States
Agency for International Development’s (USAID) implementing partner, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) will support the local governments with relief & reconstruction of public facilities and housing reconstruction.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), with guidance of the Chief of Party (CoP) and the direct supervision of the Reconstruction Manager, Field Engineer will be responsible for implementing and supervising reconstruction projects in Chuuk and Yap for both public infrastructure and private.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the Program Management Team (mainly the Region Coordinator Engineer and Head of the Engineering Unit) to develop scopes of work, schedules, and design for Public Infrastructure and Private House buildings by preparing cost estimates, specifications and drawings for construction and repair projects.
- Inspect and supervise support in managing construction projects to ensure quality completion on time and within budget by utilizing and applying professional skills and knowledge in the project management.
- Analyse damage to structures to clearly document the damage and develop proposed repairs to those structures by providing design sketches, detailed bills of quantity, and cost estimates.
- Prepares project status reports to monitor project progress by collecting, analysing, and summarizing information and reporting on various aspects of the projects including financial, technical and schedule compliance.
- Perform management support activities to contribute to the multiple construction projects in many remote locations by working with multi-disciplinary projects teams consisting of architects, engineers, construction managers, construction contractors, and non-profit implementers in planning and establishing project goals and objectives, and monitoring progress.
- Help ensure the effective implementation of project requirements to control project plans by monitoring project activities, direction, and decisions relative to development of plans, site selection, design time, schedules, procurement, construction, hand-over, and close out.
- Assist in the complex logistical planning and creative use of resources to maximize time and transport resources by providing adequate monitoring inspection and carrying out quality assurance and control tasks for all projects.
- Provide on-site and remote monitoring of the design and construction of multiple projects, in traditional delivery modes or alternative modes of design and construction (this may include any combination of for-profit and non-profit architects and contractors, NGOs, military groups, and government agents).
- Support project close out and final inspection and acceptance of completed projects by recommending solution to questions about scope changes and feasibility of accepting time delay due to such changes.
- Utilize and maintain accurate budget and schedule automated systems for progress/status, tracking all inspections and work completed by providing reports and other information as required by Project Manager to facilitate that budget and schedule remain accurate and current.
- Use AutoCAD (if available) to review and interpret blueprints; draft plans and details; and modify existing AutoCAD drawings. Update and incorporate changes to buildings on “as-built” drawings as necessary.
- Comply with IOM’s policies and procedures including prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse and promotion of a respectful work environment to contribute to a healthy workplace.
- Undertake duty travel in project implementation area.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience in practical construction or engineering field;
- Certification as a licensed professional Engineer is mandatory;
- Certification as a licensed professional Quality Control/Quality Assurance Engineer is required.
- Experience in the field of construction engineering and contract management;
- Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Experience with camping/backpacking in remote, hardship and/or rustic locations for longer periods of time (1-2 weeks); and
- Experience working with a non-governmental organization and/or international organization an advantage.
- Strong swimming skills; and
- Ability to tolerate traveling on small aircraft or long-distance boat travel (1-2 days travel) on small and medium-sized vessels.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Chuukese is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 06 March 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2023 48 Field Engineer (2 Positions) (P2) Chuuk, Federated States of Micronesia
Posting: Posting NC57985370 (57985370) Released