Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Project Focal Point, Case Management, Communications
Duty Station: Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term
Estimated Start Date:As soon as possible
Closing Date:January 23, 2023
Reference Code: VN2022/057 GT
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The United States Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) operates world-wide with a target of providing resettlement opportunities to tens of thousands of refugees each year. IOM provides a range of services and support to the USRAP including, but not limited to, case processing, migration health assessments, cultural orientation training, organized transportation and administration of a travel loan and collections program. The Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE), specifically the Resettlement and Movement Division (RMM), has the organizational responsibility to provide direction, oversight and guidance to IOM’s global support to all resettlement programs.
Under the United States Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP), the Resettlement Support Center (RSC) provides critical support and processing services for resettlement to the US. As part of an MOU between IOM and the US State Department Bureau for Population Refugees and Migration (PRM), IOM manages the RSC for LA. RSC LA manages US resettlement activities in Latin America Countries and the Caribbean. RSC LA prepares applications for adjudication by and provides support to visiting US Citizenship and
Immigration Services (USCIS) officers, facilitates security and medical screenings, provides information about arrivals to resettlement agencies in the US and offers Cultural Orientation (CO) training to individuals departing for the US.
Under the general supervision of the Project Coordinator, RSC Guatemala and the direct supervision of the Project Associate, Communications, RSC Guatemala, the successful candidate will be based in Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala and will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Undertake communications activities in an assigned area or areas related to case consultation, the information centre and/or public affairs and, as required, guide and assist in monitoring teams of Project Clerks and Project Assistants in organizing and completing communications activities in an assigned area.
- Efficiently and effectively undertake case consultation services for individuals who appear in- person at RSC Guatemala, providing efficient, effective, accurate, clear, and courteous information to individuals during case consultation, and training all Project Clerks and Project Assistants involved in case consultation to provide such information.
- Provide information to individuals through the RSC Guatemala information center, ensuring that all communication undertaken by phone, email, through website(s) and other technological means and, if relevant, in person, is efficient, effective, accurate, clear, and courteous. Verify the information provided by the RSC Guatemala information center is up to date, relevant and accessible to all persons, including to at-risk individuals, and that the staff members providing the information are adequately trained.
- In coordination with supervisors, assist with activities related to public affairs, including, as assigned, developing, designing, producing, and distributing materials for individuals served by RSC Guatemala, RSC management, IOM, partners, and donors, including print, audio, visual and online materials.
- Verify WRAPS is updated as needed with communications-related content and assist supervisors in overseeing communications-related processes being carried out within and between units, including by email and phone.
- Utilizing reports and other oversight mechanisms, conduct regular QC of communications- related data in WRAPS and other communications tools such as email systems to verify the accuracy and clarity of information shared with individuals as well as the RSC’s compliance with all USRAP and RSC SOPs. Proactively bring to the attention of supervisor’s communications-related backlogs or other issues.
- In coordination with supervisors, liaise as needed with other teams and units in RSC Guatemala and other RSCs. Provide regular reports on the work being accomplished within the team to supervisors and team members.
- Train other communications team members as needed to efficiently and effectively manage communications activities, update WRAPS and other databases accurately and to assist in monitoring communications team members and activities.
- Undertake duty travel as needed to participate in communications-related activities, for meetings and for training.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the USRAP, SOPs and WRAPS, as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial, and unbiased during all interactions with applicants and colleagues.
- Maintain the confidentiality and integrity of all RSC-related information by implementing control procedures in line with USRAP standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert RSC management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by RSC staff members.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience
- University degree in Social Science, International Relations, Regional Studies, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience.
- High school degree with five years of relevant professional experience.Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations.
- Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and internet.
- Experience working with international cooperation and humanitarian organizations is an advantage.
- Thorough knowledge of English
- Ability to use own initiative and work under pressure with minimum supervision
- Excellent computer skills – Word, Excel, and Internet
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Attention to detail and ability to organize
- Self-motivated and objective driven
Fluency in Spanish and English (oral and written)
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in amanner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
External Candidates that comply with the profile will need to send the Resume and a letter of interest to email@example.com by by January 23, 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Any offer made to the candidates in relation to this vacancy is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
KEEP IN MIND:
- The motivation/cover letter should be a maximum of 1 page long and in English. It should state the position(s) you are applying for
- The CV should be a maximum of 2 pages long and in English.
- Only the applications that comply with the required profile will be taken into consideration.
- Those applications received after the due date or the ones that don’t include the name of the position, will not be considered.
- This vacancy is open for local staff or international staff with legal permit to work in the Country.
- The attachment shouldn’t weight over 2 MB.