Job Identification : 9091
Locations : Port Louis, Mauritius
Posting Date : 03/13/2023, 08:00 AM
Apply Before : 03/20/2023, 08:00 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NB1
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Management
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Africa
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Other Criteria : School Certificate
Required Languages : English
Desired Languages : French and Mauritian Creole
Under the guidance and supervision of the Operations Manager and direct supervisor, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to UNDP/CO Staff/Project Staff and other high-ranking UN officials and visitors ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. On ad-hoc basis and during absences of the FTA driver, the incumbent will backstop him on his assigned duties to the Resident Representative.
Upon request of the supervisor, the Driver can be also required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the CO, Consultants and Experts and UN staff on mission.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
<Job Purpose and Organizational Context>
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and safe driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of all required documents/ supplies
- Involvement in accidents
- Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of UNDP/CO Staff/Project Staff other high-ranking officials and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Backstop the FTA Driver during his absence.
LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination:
LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies (insert up to 7 competencies)
Administration & Operations
Knowledge of policy & procedures on fleet management
Administration & Operations
Registry & correspondence management
Ability to collect, register, maintain and deliver mail and UNDP pouch; ability to manage archives
Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
UN Policy Ethics
Knowledge and understanding of the UN Staff Regulations and Rules and other policies relating to ethics and integrity.
Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
Ability to represent UNDP and productively share UNDP knowledge and activities; advocate for UNDP, its values, mission and work with various constituencies
Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner. Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Secondary Education
- Valid Driver’s license
- Three (3) years’ work experience as a driver and a secondary education;
- Safe driving record;
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair
- Mechanical skills are an advantage;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrates a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural background
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section: Able to manage administrative courier with flexible decision making valuing allocate time
- Fluency in English;
- French desirable;
- Mauritian Creole is an advantage
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.